CairnTalk

How Big is Your Cairn?

kjwarnold

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holly aged 5, today weighs 16lb - she weighed the same when I checked her last at vets in September - and in between times she has been spayed. So hoping that when better weather comes and she can go out on longer walks she can get a little weight off although she does not appear to be fat.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Little Molly is 6 months old and 5 pounds. She is almost 9 inches tall (really won't stand still long enough to be measured, but I think that is close). The vet said she is on the small side but otherwise perfect! I think so too!

Jock is 16.5 pounds and the vet said he is at a perfect weight. I did some reading a while back and there seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion in the UK short legged Cairns versus longer legged Cairns. Jock's dad is from England and is definately much taller as is Jock. My thoughts are, unless you are into showing your dogs in a certain country that has certain show standards , as long as he is healthy and happy thats all that counts. At least in my way of thinking.

I am sure a lot of people have seen the show "The Passionate Eye" on TV and all the controversy surrounding what is happening (a lot of serious health issues) to a lot of the pure bred dogs. I am all for breeding healthy dogs, with a large gene pool... big, smaller, long legged, & short legged!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Sparky is 10 months old and he's holding steady at 13-14 pounds. Last time he was weighed, he was 13.6, but I think now he's probably right at 14.

Sparky Jones & Scout Jones
ShannasCamera112-1-1.jpgSparkyScout-3-1.jpgScoutFloor-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

We got Rocky a month ago hes 8years old and 22.5#. had him to the vet for a checkup and shots and he said he was in good shape and if I wanted to slim him down maybe take off 1 to 1 1/2# but no more. This boy will run into you and knock you over. The vet had the #5 dog in the country when he was showing and he was 24.5#.

Kramer is 4 years old. He weighs 17 pounds. He was 19 but Vet said 17 is better. My first Cairn was over weight at 25 pounds. She was diagnosed with diabetis at age 13 and lost the much needed weight. We got her down to 16 pounds and she lived almost 5 years with diabetis. Missy passed away at age 17 due to liver failure. I think she lived as long as she did by reducing her weight, less stress on the heart.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

Tanner is almost 10 months old & is 18 pounds & seems to be holding there. The vet said that's a little more than a cairn normally weighs, but I had just checked in w/her via email about it. Seeing him in person, it's mostly a lot of solid muscle.

Becky & Tanner

Its amazing hearing how many 'big Cairns' are out there, especially with the debate going on in the CTCA right now. My Zachary is 17 lbs and was oftentimes one of the smaller specials in the ring. As of lately I've been showing a bitch who is dead on 13 lbs....so it can be done.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

• 2 weeks later...

haven't measured yet but i'm sure mine are a lot bigger.

by the way, this is my first post. hello!

"Auschwitz begins whenever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals."

- Jewish philosopher Theodor Adorno

Archived