CairnTalk

How Big is Your Cairn?

kjwarnold

Just deviating ever so slightly on this topic...how big were your pups when you got them (ours at 9 weeks was 2.4 lbs!!)?

I'm wondering how big to expect Cassie to be; she was the definite runt of her litter, and even now at 5 months, is only 5 1/2 lbs. Some people ask me if she's a Yorkie! :confused: I of course think she's perfect, but how much do they grow that first year? She's obviously doubled in weight, but I'm wondering if we can even hope to hit 10 lbs! :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sophie was older when we got her (11 mos.), and in her records the first weight I see for her is 12 lbs. when she was 7 1/2 mos. old. She is now 19 mos. old and weighs 14 1/2 lbs.(today at the vet). The vet said she would like to see Sophie at about 12 lbs., but I disagree. You can easily feel her ribs and you can see her waist. I think if we keep her at about 15-17 lbs. she'll be fine. Some Cairns have bigger bone structure than others due to breeding, so they don't all have to weigh the same. If Cassie was indeed the runt of the litter, she may be smaller boned and always be a smaller dog. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Chase is 3yo 17 lbs and Gus is 2yo 24 lbs. Chase is small like his Mom and Gus is big just like his Dad. They are both from the same Mom and Dad just a year difference in litter.

You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

-Albert Schweitzer (1875 - 1965)

Chase and Gus video

Youtube- Best of Chase and Gus

Cairn Terrierists

It's because cats simply can't be trusted for heavy lifting & dirty work required in the war on terrior.

• 4 weeks later...

Puddles is 8.5 months at 13 lbs and Iris at 8 weeks is 3.2 lbs.

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

• 8 months later...
sheila and Misty

funny to see this one around again-Misty now at 2yars 3mo-weighs 24Lbs Toby his last vet check 13weeks he was 6.5Lbs. hes now 15 weeks

Mickey is 2 and weighs 18 lbs.

Angus is 10 mos. and weighed 17.8 last month, but I think he's gained since then. He feels chubbier than Mickey.

Shelley, Angus and Mickey in Seattle

• 1 month later...

Buckley - 17 lbs of muscle, 11" H x 14" L. I recently cut down his food from 1/2 c 2x/day to 1/3 c 2x/day with a few small training treats and one cookie before bed.

My angus is 16.5, seen the vet this week. She said he was a little over for a Cairn...he dad is from Holland. He is supposed to be bigger. My breeder thought he was in perfect condition! He has alot of muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat...is this not true for animals as well?

Cheers, Janet

Miya will be 2 in January and weighs 22lbs

Max will be 2 in April and weighs 20lbs

They get a half a cup of food a day, walks throughout the day, I really don't understand why they weigh what they do.

Miya

Max

Figured I would throw our measurements in, too...Mr. Bo is 14.7 lbs (just went to the vet), which is think is just right, but he's a little longer than the standard. From what I can tell he's almost 16 inches long (if I'm using the tape correctly)!

Patrick, Meredith, and Mr. Bo

• 1 month later...

here in Australia I think size is a matter of whom you talk too...I have small and large in my pack, but would prefer the smaller lot. As long as the dog is balanced seems to be the conclusion in the rings here (at present) I myself would prefer my best dog to be smaller, he is on the larger size but he is a lovely balanced dog with many merits that warrent me keeping and using him in my breeding program to smaller bitches...

>http://www.freewebs.com/aimforcairns/

• 3 weeks later...

Full grown Benny is now 22.5 pounds. He is just a very large Cairn Terrier. He actually at one point was too thin and my vet told me to give him extra food. I cannot believe how big he is.

The world revolves around Benny and Sally...or so they think!

I just cannot get over it and must tell you how proud I am. I just thought I had a nice little mutt, nothing very special at all, so I am really proud. He weighs 7.600 grams and is 30 cm high and is 20 months old.

Congratulations! Did you mean kilograms?

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

sheila and Misty

update -Misty-big girl! 28lbs(only 3 overwheight) 12Tx18L 2yrs 7mo

Toby medium-15lb(not overwheight yet) 8Tx12L 7mo.

Hi tlwtheq,

Yes, I do mean kilograms peculiar to figure out the weight and measure so I let you do the sweating for once.

It is about 15 pounds and about 12 inches.

Of course it was nice to hear Paco is handsome but it does not mean anything really. I love him the way he is, for his character and bought him because I wanted the Cairn character.

Funny thing was... the next day I met a lady with a most awful grey mutt at the other and of the line and she said:"Oh, look, a doggy just like mine, isn

post-3445-1234461993_thumb.jpg

LOL about the lady with themutt. If you like that you should check out the "Oh my. You're a little puffball!" thread under

Cairn Life. People do have strange reactions to our pups sometimes.

Go figure.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Archived