CairnTalk

Getting to know YOU

Teri9672

I can't tell everybody how much I am enjoying this site. It is really fun to read about all the people who post here.

My life is not that exciting but here goes....Dave and I have been married for 17 years and I will turn 45 in a few months (everytime I say that outloud I wince!). I work at Johns Hopkins University and Dave works for a small family run engineering company. We live in York, Pa in an cute little 80 year old house. We have no two legged kids just Lily (2yrs) and Grace (3yrs) our cairns. My sister has 4 kids and we spend alot of time with them. It works out great for us...we get to be the fun Aunt and Uncle! Dave is a huge REDSOX fan, every year we make the pilgrimage to Boston to watch them beat up on the Yankees! I have to say even if you don't like baseball... that is a really good time.

We luv Lily and Grace so much its insane and spend 99% of our spare time either playing or talking about our two little stinkers!

I agree with Fenway..the people on this site are awesome! Lynn

Welcome to Cairn Talk neighbor :D there are several others here from our area!

• Like 1

Hello to all!

It's about time I finally introduce myself. My name is Jodi, I am 35 years young. I am currently living on the Oregon coast. But I am originally from the San Jose, CA area. I have three cats (Minnie, Oreo & Cookie) and one German Wirehaired Pointer (Jake). I work as an admin assistant. Single, no kids (just the furry kind). I have various interests besides my pets. I just learned to knit about a year ago and it has become a passion of mine. If I am not checking out yarn shops online, I am checking out pet stuff. I also enjoy reading, movies, my ipod, music and video games.

I have been researching this lovely breed for almost 2 years now. I have attended numerous shows and met with some great breeders. I have also been to the earthdog tests here in Oregon.

After all my research and hard work, I will be getting my puppy by the end of next month. I have been working with a great breeder up in Washington. I am taking a day trip up there in a few weeks, to meet the puppies! I am just so excited.

This site is great! It's been a great source of information. I am sure I will be posting more, once I get my pup.

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog. -- Konard Lorenz

Hi. I found this forum about a month ago while seeking answers to questions about my pup's strange behavior. I was relieved to find out that what I thought was strange was simply typically Cairn. Now my daughter and I are both addicted to this site and check in daily. We love all the stories, pictures and helpful advice to be found here.

My name is Susan. I'm 48 years old and live in north Arkansas, just south of the Missouri border, in the beautiful Ozark Mountains. I'm a divorced mother of two children, son 19 and daughter 21, both of whom are college students and the pride and joy of my life.

Barley was given to me in January of this year as a gift from my daughter. He was just 8 weeks old when we brought him home, and he instantly stole our hearts. He has filled my empty nest and become my best little friend.

Barley is a tried and true member of the CUR Organization and diligently follows all the orders of his Commanding Officer, Eli. I'm quite sure that Barley and Barney are twins that were separated at birth, and that they both will rapidly advance within the organization and soon be appointed as Captains of CUR.

Barley's Mom

Susan,

I'm really glad that you and Barley Bear are here. It's nice to see a Cairn on this part of the map. We thought we were alone in AR. :D

Brinda, Crunch, and Gus

• 2 months later...

Well, my name is Darcy, DH is Scot and DD is Maddi (14.5yrs)

We live on vancouver island and have lived here for 11 yrs. I am a work from home mom (bookkeeper), DH is a ships captain on a med size transport boat, DD is in grade nine.

We have two very chubby cats (Mr. Bean and Sproat). Mr. Beans is the "momma's boy" if ever there was one.

We also have an elderly German shorthaired pointer (Russio's Mean Joe Green or Joey for short) who just turned 12 but still has the temperment of a saint. His sainthood will be tested to no end in another month when that darn puppy comes home.

Our other dog (Terrier mix) passed away on Nov 9, 2006. And the house has not been the same since. Toto came from the SPCA 10 yrs ago and wormed his way into our hearts in no time. He truly was our little buddy but at 15yrs it was his time to go and thankfully God made that decision for us an we were spared the thought. He had multiple health issues but they were being treated as best we could. He had been to the garage to check-up on Scott and then he went to the neighbors across the little bridge to check out the treats they normally left out for him at lunch. He did get to eat his treats as the bowl was cleaned up but he never made it back across that bridge. We found him about 10 minutes later when he did not come back home. Our vet concluded that he had a massive heartattack. We had been treating him for a grossly enlarged heart (among other things).

Edited by Darc

Well hello from Sunny California. Not bragging but it is 73 degrees today and I cant believe it is January I just joined this forum yesterday and am having so much fun. I am 35 and have a wonderfull fiance and three great kids. They are 11,10 and 8. Two girls and one boy. We have had the newest member of our family for about 7 days now. I have raised and loved a Chow Chow and English Bulldog. The Chow was my childhood dog and Jules was my first and only family dog so far (she was the Bullie). She passed away about a year and a half ago. So after much reasearch I narrowed it down to two choices a Westie and Cairin and after hours of delibiration decided on the Cairin. I cant wait to spend many years with him. He is very lovable and also very rambuctious. A great lover of kids and so full of energy. He has become me and my fiances new baby I never thought we would refer to ourselves as Mommy and Daddy when we were talking with a dog but it has happen and I couldnt be happier.

I work at a University the same one I recieved my degree from and am a avid sports lover. I play softball twice a week and watch all other sports whenever I can. My fiance is a Philadelphia Eagles lover I am a fan of many teams especially ones with old USC players. Oh and in our spare time we manage a travel softball team that my daughter also plays on. Yesterday was our first practice back and Tuffy had so much fun running the field and chasing the girls. rolling in the dirt and just havign a grand old time. He was so worn out he feel asleep and slept throught the night without an accident. Good thing he liked it cause he is defitnely going to be spending lots of time at the softball field and tournaments. Thanks for reading and looking forward to reading and being part of this forum for many years to come.

Lydia

• 1 month later...
sheila and Misty

Hi its me sheila-might as well say something here too. I'm 48 living in pa. here in bethel park and have been married to larry 61 for 14 years this past July. we have a decent sized fenced in yard for Misty and as soon as I can trust her near the small fish pond she will have the run of the yard . In my life I have had several pets from fish tanks to crayfish,tarantulas,frogs toads rabbita raised over 200 hamsters with my dad growing up. we named them all!

Ive had a champagne poodle gigi,a black poodle candette petit bon bon aka candee,a toy beagle snoopy a duck fluffy a lhasha apso (adopted)-nasty little bugger was named not by me Mcghee so I called him Ghee, a yorkshire terrier punkin,and since I've been married two fish tanks had four for awhile breeding fancytail guppies, a pond with a couple of goldfish,koi and catfish,(scruffy my baby boy cairn lost him aug 9th he was going on 15, and pepper girl my blackbear hamster 1 year old scooter a blackbear 3 years old) Now Peanut my mixed angora syrian male and Misty my wheaton brindle cairn almost 6 mo, I'm a stay at homer, I absolutely love it! my husband owns a small machineshop. were happy. My interest lean towards biological sciences psychology, a little philosophy, botony,zoology etc.. Like reading and working crossword and jigsaw puzzles dabble on my guitar occasionally use to write poem, love to organize and into gardening some what. almost went to college would have been a professional in one of those interests oh well. We have no children together and wont be.I have a step daughter 38 and a step son 34. theyre out and about doing their own thing-dont see them much. Happy to be part of these forums nice to talk about an interesting subject. and good to see when training backfires that its a common occurance love this breed!! Pretty boring life for most people..I couldnt be happier!

Well...here goes nothing :)

post-2208-1171398466_thumb.jpg

My name is Amber, I'm 25 years old, and I have wonderful 3 year old, Emily, who is the light of my life. My boyfriend Dan lives with us too. He's 32 and I am endlessly teasing him about being a cradle robber. He grew up with Duran Duran...I grew up with New Kids on the Block. haha! I live in a small town in Iowa where everyone waves and, also, knows everyone's business!!! lol I have a degree in education; however, after Emmy was born I decided to start an in-home daycare. I love it and ended up making more in a home business than I did teaching...something's not right there! post-2208-1171398411_thumb.jpgDan is the sales manager of a business where he does, well, he manages the sales-team. lol :) Emily is busy with everything and she thinks she KNOWS everything! She is my life! We have a beautiful home...white picket fence and all! I love my neighborhood and my house! We are in the process of redecorating the upstairs and Emily's room so it's a bit crazy up there! ! !

Dan, Emmy, and me

post-2208-1171398271_thumb.jpg

Of course, what brings me here: We have an adorable little cairn daughter, Ellie-Whiney who is a little over 6 months. Her favorite things are playing in the snow, bathtub, or with anything that squeaks. She loves to clean up crumbs under the table that the toddlers leave behind...mmm chicken nuggets!!!

(see pics in signature).

I also "claim" two other dogs: Tuff, the obese lab, who was my dog from age 14 up, but still lives with my parents of course! She is almost 12 now. And Sergeant, the German Shepherd, who my brother stole from me after living here for a while!!! lol. They got along much better :)

post-2208-1171399013_thumb.jpg

I have a cat, King, who is a miracle cat. He is 16 and was very close to death about a year ago. The vet said he had seen it a million times and it would be a miracle if he ever got better. (We thought he had kidney failure.) Fortunately, animals are like kids to me and I nursed King back to health around the clock. Now you would never know he was ever sick! My vet even had me take a picture!!! lol

post-2208-1171398208_thumb.jpg

I have 3 birds. 2 Cockatiels: Joey, who was a rescue bird...the family was horrible to him and he lived in a smoke filled environment...and Sunset who was given to me by my first boyfriend!!! As was the parakeet Olive :) They are all almost 10 years old now.

post-2208-1171398980_thumb.jpg

We have 3 fish tanks also with fancy guppies, guoramis (sp), a betta, a pleco, and some dragon fish.

Obviously we LOVE animals, although after reading some of the other posters lists of animals, I don't feel so bad!!!

I am very active in my community and in my church. I love to read and paint and MOST OF ALL--SHOP!!! :) Dan says I have some sort of addiction. ;) I could talk forever so I will go for now! I love this site though...it's been really great to have such a "team" of experienced and inexperienced owners to help solve the issues, laugh with you, and show encouragement. :)

As Always,

Amber and the Zoo

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

I'm Jill and I'm from Arizona. I have a 5 yr. old baby boy who is my pride and joy. His name is Duncan and I've had him since he was 10 weeks old. When I first got him, he was such a dark wheaten color, he blended into my brown carpeting and I had a hrd time seeing where he was. I had to put a cat bell on his collar to keep track of him cause when they're that little, they don't squat to pee, they just kind of stop ;)

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place!

post-2561-1171907450.jpg

Edited by jill60

Hello! I think it is about time to introduce myself.

I am Rachel, and My dh and I have 4 children, all boys. They are 10-years-old, 5-years-old, 3-years-old, and 18-months. We live in south western Pa. We have been married for 5 years, and I am a stay-at-home mom to my 4 kids, and my little girl Cairn. We have had plenty of pets in the past, that have not worked out to our advantage. I am proud to say, that this time it took us over 3 months to finally decide on another dog, but to research our dogs first, to find the right fit for our family. We have definetely made the right decision!!! We have had Daisy for a week now, and she is the perfect fit. I stay home, so I am able to take care of her every little need. She is just as spoiled as the baby in the house, lol.

I want to thank everyone for all their help.

Rachel,

I'm Joanne, a "neighbor" - I live in Philadelphia. I'm glad you joined our crew and you will find tons of great information here - as well as supportive, caring friends.

I'm 53, married for 7 years and Scully is my second Cairn. Ginger was my first and I was blessed with having her for 14 years.

With four boys and a busy Cairn your life must be hectic but fun.

Again, glad you joined us.

Edited by Scully'sMom

Thank you Joanne. We do enjoy her. She is GREAT with the kids. I love the fact that I am still in "mom" mode with the baby, and I am used to oing the "potty" thing. It seems she is no different then taking care of thee baby, lol. Sleep, eat, and go potty, and of course, run and play! They have so much fun together. This definetely was the right decision for us. My husband loves how calm she is. The other dogs we had were neverous jittery dogs, one being a jack russel. He was way to much for us. Daisy seems to just fit in!!

• 1 month later...

i am not nearly as interesting as Biscuit, but i will share a bit.

my name is Christina. i graduated from University with a degree in education in 2004 and immediately moved to Normandie, France. i am 31, double Scorpio with my moon in Gemini, cat.

i was born and raised in California, an hour North of LA.

Personally i am a non-breeder, but my boyfriend has a daughter age eight, who we have half the time.

In california i had two beautiful recrue dogs from the SPCA. Polywog, an Aussiechoweiller, and Henna a Husky/Akita{?} mix. i also had a magical kitty, and i believe my true soul-mate, Harvest moon. Harve, as we called him loved to travel, ride in the car, take long walks, he has even been inside a Grateful Dead show at Shoreline. Once he followed me down to the beach, and right into the ocean, swimming out in the waves to me... amazing.

Shortly after moving to France, Harvest was found dead, under my Hot-Chocolate rose bush, by my ex in California. i intended to move him here, but he passed before the move. No clue why he died. i think it was a broken heart.

Now i live with Henna, the big red dog. She moved here from California, which was suprisingly expensive! But we love having her, she is super cuddley like a giant plushy. The kid tells all her friends about her "Giant Doudou".

And we have our Cairn.. Biscuit. Hard to pick a name that works in both languages, we got lucky, but it still took months to pick. i wanted to call her piggy because of her way to snort/grunt/purrr constantly.

Are other Cairn this noisy? She looks up at us purrring and grunting, it's hilarious!

Biscuit is a heart stealer, she is so cute.. it's distracting, hehe

We spend our time playing MMORPGs {video games}, travelling, and taking care of the doggies.

Nice to meet everyone! This place was a lucky find for me =)

Aaaand apparently i am a babbler *blushes*

What a fun thread!

My name is Aubrey. I am a 20-year-old college student. I will graduate in December of 2008 and head off to teach K-3rd grade. I have been engaged for 2 years and will marry my best friend, Michael, May 10, 2008. I live in St. Joseph, MO (about 35 min. north of KC) and will be moving down to the KC area to teach. Michael is going to get his EMT this summer and attend the fire academy in the fall.

No kids yet but we are the proud parents of:

2 Cairns: Scruffy and Dixie

2 Snakes: Jake and Joey

6 Sugar Gliders: Chester, Chandler, Lola, Lena, Layla, and Lily

and 2 horses: Doc and Sassy

Edited by aubreyea

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone-

My name is Elle and I am the happy owner of Margie a red brindle rescue whom I simply adore. I live in Orlando, Florida and work with the developmentally disabled. I've only had Margie since Feb. 3rd and it has been a real trip. She loves chasing lizards and can sit for 10 or so minutes at a time calmly waiting for one to come within reach. I'm not sure what she would do if she caught one and I really don't want to think about it much. One of the traits I wanted in a pet was that they 'talk'. Margie has not disappointed me. She will come in my office while I am working and sit as close to me as she can and then she starts with her little yips and yodels. She makes the funniest noises. She also nips at the air and if I don't pay any attention to her she will gently pull on the corner of my shirt. Many times she just wants to sit in my lap and get some 'sugar'. As I write this I get the feelings I may have already written a bio about us - ah well if I did chalk it up to a 'senior moment'. I love this site and enjoy reading about all of you and your pets. I feel like I know y'all personally.

Elle

Margie's Mom

Hi Everyone,

I'm Mary, Bentley's mom ( I call him Goober, cus he reminds me of a lil peanut). I live in a suburb to Buffalo, N.Y. I just retired in Dec. and Bentley has certainly made sure I've been busy.

So far I've yet to find another cairn terrier owner in my area. I see them advertising them for sale in our local paper so they must be here somewhere. I'll keep lookin'.

Anyway Goob seems to be pretty typical from what Ive read here. He has displayed many of the good and bad habits that I've read about on this forum, and reading about some of the problems, questions and ideas of others has help us a lot to get over a few hurdles and for that I'd like to say "thank you" to all the wonderful people that put this site up and to the many concerned members that seem to be here for you when you need help, need to vent, need a good laugh or need a shoulder to cry on.

I really love looking at everyones photos of their fur babies. Is it just me or are all Cairns just kissable cute? I may have to get another one.

I'm Riley, am 17 years old, and bought my first Cairn puppy (Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair) a little over 3 years ago. My interests in the dog show world are conformation and junior showmanship, and I would eventually like to branch out to performance events. I have had amazing mentors in the Cairn world and really can never repay them for everything they've taught me. I am still in high school, and used to play softball, volleyball, the trumpet in band, and took dance classes, but decided to give those up in order to pursue my dog show dream. With the help of many people, I've expanded a bit in the dog show world by working for professional handlers every once in awhile. It's a great experience and has taught me about handling/grooming several different breeds. I am very active in Junior Showmanship as well, and always handle a Cairn in Juniors.

I'm excited to finally be on the board!

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! My name is Diana (21) and I am married to a military man (24) (married for a year and a half) , but we are getting out soon, and we will be moving back to Texas (currently in ND). Our cairn is named Munchkin and I wanted to come on this site and see if she was like any other cairns out there, and from the posts I've been reading, she seems to fit right in! :) We love her and she is just a joy to have in our lives. She is basically our child, till we decide to have kids- and even then, she will be our "first born".

post-2736-1180755731_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my name is Nicole, I live in northwestern Pennsylvania...just got our cairn a month ago and loving every second of it!! I live with my boyfriend Brett and have for the past 7 years we have no children except our little Cody (our furry baby) we just bought a house so that has been taking alot of my time...I work as a customer service rep for a mail order company and enjoy taking pictures...pretty much thats me...lol...it was fun reading bout everyone!!

I just saw the thread and since I been posting for a few months here is my short bio..

my name is Gloria I'm 48 nand married 24 years to Mario, have a son 22 a daughter 21, 3 cats and a mutt named Sammy and of course our Cairn Napoleon.

I was born in El Salvador came to the USs when i was 15. I am a Sales & Merketing Manager for Reckitt Benckiser.. we manufacture Lysol, Airwick and for those in Europe and NZ Dettol & Harpic. Office is in New Jersey, I live in NY about 45 min from NYC.

I have always been an animal lover , up until a year and a half ago our life was pretty calm...until one day my son brough home Napoleon, it has not been the same since...of course he is now MY dog as I take care of him. I told my son that if he moves out I will have to take him to court gor custody LOL/

So glad I found this forum, so I know my Cairn is not the only terror around

Hello Everybody...

My name is Debbie and I will be getting my first Cairn on Saturday..July 7th..I live in a small town outside of Knoxville Tennessee...I recently retired from my job in government and worked for my city for 30 years...I will have a lot of time to be with my puppy and I am so excited. I have not had a pet in a few years but I was introduced to the Cairns by a friend. Just from reading here and doing a lot of research on the dog..I know I am going to be very happy with my choice. This site has confirmed that Cairns are fun..mischievious..loving..smart...and just good to be around. I am so excited to get this new puppy and I am glad I ran into this site..I want to thank Mr. Brad for a wonderful site and I am so proud to meet y'all... :D

Edited by Barbi
167925787-Ti.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!!

My name is Yvonne and I am Puddles mama. I have had Puddles for 2 weeks now and I am simply in LOVE!!

The reason I chose Puddles is because I was/am Heartbroken over the disappearance of my 16 year old cocker mix. As the weeks went by and I would search High and low for him. I happened to see the Wizard of oz. That night I had a dream about a Toto dog. Maybe I just needed a search buddy and what better dog than a Cairn? I love all dogs of all sizes. I have a 125lb mastiff /labrador mix named Dozer.....who thinks puddles is his new girlfreind... I also have a harliquin calico..Named lilly. Digit is my other baby I am still searching for.

I live on the Mississippi gulf coast and I have a heavy equipment business.. which is also my hobby. Every since I was a little girl I wanted to drive tractors and drive big dump trucks. Now I live that dream. I have 1 son who is attending college to become a doctor :D I am 38 years old and SOOO happy to have found this forum!

post-2845-1184432798_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1184432813_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1184432828_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

Well we're the new kids on the block I guess, well as of Aug 2007 anyway.

This forum looks like its been around for quite a while.

Anyway, we are Gary and Sue and we've been married over 20 years. We have 2 Cairns named Tootsie and Drew and they keep life interesting for us and the kids - oh and especially the cat.

Glad to be here. :)