CairnTalk

An Old Friend is back again - Puppy?

gd4

Hello, I am a long-time member who has always valued the quality of information on this site. Currently, I am the caregiver of my elderly father, professional and very busy finishing my doc degree. Hence, I am not sure if I am ready to start the puppy circus involved with a Cairn [grin] ; however, I have help at home . My little Cairn, female will be 6 in May.

Questions? I owned two Cairns previous to my current Cairn.They were male and female and within 6 mo. - 1 year in age. They were inseparable right till the end and my female died only three months after the male (not brother but adopted) in 2017. It was devastating. I obtained my next Cairn, female who was about 4 mo. old from a breeder only a month later, who I had worked with the adoption of our Cairn rescue (boy). At the time, I wish I had waited. Cairns are a challenge in my opinion right up until they are two but then, oh my, no better breed from then on! I love the breed but whew!

I am considering getting another Cairn. Trina is almost 6. Does anyone have suggestions on male or female? Does it make a difference with such a big age gap? Trina is spayed but is socialized from being with other pups in daycare at an early age. Now, the young pups make her a bit edgy. I worry she may be jealous being the only kid in the house or not accept a tiny puppy.

Should I anticipate issues bringing home a small puppy with Trina? Does having an older pup help with training a new Cairn pup? It seems the puppy might follow the behavior of the elder? Other points to share? Our other Cairn pups were already trained and close in age. I have not brought a puppy around an elder pup before.

Any other thoughts? I appreciate it!

Gina

• Like 1

Not a simple answer, but I don’t recommend two females.  It may go along just fine, until it doesn’t.   I would recommend a mild mannered male, probably on the younger side.  The older female will rule. A good breeder should be able to evaluate your situation and help out.  Have fun and double up on your sleep, patience and good humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Yes, I am definitely more inclined toward a young male for the little pup. It might be challenging for her to deal with another female, even a younger one.

Trust, I understand the need for strong stamina with a Cairn pup!

Gina

• Agree 1

Welcome back :) As a 'rule of thumb' I too would recommend a male. With Trina at 6 I think that age difference is ideal! 

Some bitches seem to display a hidden maternal side and take an enthusiastic interest in helping raise a new pup (and teaching them manners, lol)  while others seem more ... let's say tolerant but not enthusiastic. That seems to be down to the personalities involved.  Some will begrudge a newcomer at first but later be fast pals and partners in crime :) 

I'd always give things a good while — maybe three months or so — to allow both dogs to go through a few adaptation phases before assessing how things are likely to develop over the long haul.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hello, my friend, Bradl, Yes, this makes sense. I am hopeful Trina Joy will enjoy her new housemate but want to make the adjustment as painless as possible. At first, I thought of bringing her with us to the breeder to meet the puppy. It is a long drive for us and not sure how they would interact both being in the car together. I have heard it is helpful to meet on neutral ground. I admit it is exciting to think of a new puppy but also, a bit daunting as I am not as young as I was before. Even a few years make a difference! However, I have someone who will be helping me  a lot this time around! Gina

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello! I Pups.jpg.32f40aa57f1ee480b0762b0ce4adf292.jpgdid it! We welcomed Angus to our home on 2/20. Trina Joy and Angus are getting along just fine! Take care, all! Gina

Edited by gd4
  • Like 4