CairnTalk

The "real" thing...

sanford

23tmag-danpearson-slide-NOUI-superJumbo.thumb.jpg.6a099e304a5bcbdd4e3dd7782d5dd6c5.jpg 

A photo of a stone cairn built on an estate in

Connecticut. (I thought it was just a pile of stones,

but when enlarged, I was impressed with how skillfully

& methodically the cairn was created. 

Edited by sanford
spelling
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Dogcoat lady said:

With all the rocks in New England, it’s either stone walls or cairns.

That makes sense. It's pretty cool looking!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 10:37 AM, Eliz222 said:

Very nice? Was there a purpose for the cairn?

Good question. The photo was from a newspaper article showing a large estate with extensive gardens. The owners commissioned a landscape designer/gardener/stonemason to build impressive stone creations on the property. No criticism intended, but if I had the money to do that, I'd buy me a merry band of four-legged cairns  instead!😃 (To each their own)!

Edited by sanford
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Ditto here. If I had a bigger house and yard and income, I would definitely have a whole pack of cairns! But right now, two takes about as much care - including time as well as money-- as I can afford... i definitely would not be spending it on rocks...

I do remember from the days when we traveled out of the US (hey, 2019 was a long time ago) that the dogsitter was also a major expense. I could probably cover another dog or three if we quit traveling. We have right now, but hope to start again some day...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kathryn said:

...I would definitely have a whole pack of cairns! But right now, two takes about as much care - including time as well as money-- as I can afford... 

Of course you are right re time, money, etc., but having enough $$$ was part of the scenario, as long as I was dreaming. The late queen had the right idea with her small mob of corgis to brighten every day. 🤩

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Yes, Sanford. Loved those shots of the queen with her corgis. Of course the cost of a dogsitter wasn't an issue for her - I loved those photos of the queen getting on or off her plane with her corgi pack. I would bet those dogs didn't have to ride in a carrier under the seat...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

they could have just been piles of stones removed from cultivated fields. i think DCL is on the right track. in new england they were stone walls, in scotland they were cairns. 

I just came across this post. In the Uk a cairn is a pile of stones to mark a special place or a point on a road. Often associated with Scotland but found elswhere also.

A stone wall is a crafting of dry stones into a wall to mark a boundary - round a field for example.

I'd post pics but alas I have never learned how!

• 1 year later...

awesome pic. i used to play the game diablo 2 and they have cairn stones in the map you can click to find loot underneath. always reminded me of fonzie  lol

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!