CairnTalk

Thinking about looking for a Cairn puppy

CamilleatGaelforce

I currently have three dogs, but I suspect I am going to lose Max Manchester in the near future.  His "sundowner's" is getting worse, now he stands in the middle of the living room at night, barking at nothing.  I'm going to ask the vet about Anipryl, hoping it might help, but  I also realize he could well be 16 or 17 years old by now, he was a stray, so we don't know his real age.  In case I do lose him, I really want to add a girl to the family, lessening the risk of a third male dog not fitting in or not being accepted.   There are no longer any Scottie breeders in the Pacific Northwest I trust, in all honesty, and having been very happy with first Cinder and now Charlie, and having met so many other lovely Cairns, I am wondering if a Cairn puppy might be just as good a fit.  I know of (or knew of) several Cairn breeders here in Oregon that I would trust, but I admit, I'm a little hesitant to ask, as I am now retired and now on a fixed income, and don't have the disposable income I once had, so I don't know if I can even afford a purebred puppy any more.  Would anyone care to share what the going price for a pet puppy is these days, so I know before I start making inquiry calls?  Thanks in advance!

I am sorry to say, most pups on the East Coat are in the 2K range.  Probably beyond my grasp, but I am still on the look-out.  I have tried to look at it from all angles and I keep Hope alive.

We're a bit out of touch ourselves but that sounds about right. By coincidence Peggy is taking Dundee and/or Elroy to be groomed this morning. I'll ask her to ask. 

@Dogcoat lady An offer to co-own a show prospect can *sometimes* come together for a lesser initial outlay at the cost of some ongoing expenses while the dog does his or her enlistment until finishing (or washing out). That does require keeping a dog intact for the duration (at minimum). 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

There are several cairn rescue organizations online, with affordable fees: (Col Potter Cairn Rescue,  Cairn Rescue League, Cairn Rescue USA). Petfinders.com can be a long shot because most of their cairns are listed as mixed breeds).

• Agree 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks, Sanford, I regularly check the Colonel Potter site, but only very rarely is there a female Cairn available in my region of the country.  I have to be honest and say I really ought to adopt an adult, not a puppy, but I also really miss those adorable, wiggly little furballs......................with needle-sharp fangs, puddles on the floor, chewing on things they shouldn't.....................ummm, really need to resist the idea of a puppy, I think?

• Like 2

Cairns go for about $2k where I live too. I would love to give Atticus a sister/brother to play with, but by the time he's ready, the price will be too much for my pocketbook too.

Col. Potter vets the cairns they adopt out, fostering them to determine behavior, habits, etc.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

In my area ( southern  Ohio) they range from 1k to 2k, with a nice show breeder in the middle at 1.5 k. This is for the southern Ohio-northern Kentucky- Indiana Indianapolis area.  I actually saved back part of my company bonus from last year to pay for the puppies,  while I waited for the breeder to have a litter this year.  And this year I put back 1k  from my bonus to pay for vet bills for the puppies getting shots/ fixed. It’s expensive 

• Like 2

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Here in Western Oregon, vet bills are horrific, and apt to get worse.  Charlie alone has ongoing bills near $250 a month for his digestive enzyme pills and Galliprant, the pain med he takes for his arthritis.  Johnny (Scottie's) trilostane for his Cushing's Disease is $65 a month.  Then I add in thyroid pills for both of them at around $50 a month, and Interceptor heartworm preventative for all three (including Max Manchester) and I am sure it's easily $400 a month just in maintenance meds, not counting food, treats, shots every few years, routine bloodwork, and the list goes on.  Two thousand does not seem like too much to pay for a well-bred puppy who is less likely to develop things like EPI or arthritis, to me.  Charlie can't help that he was born in a puppy mill, and I don't regret adopting him for one second, he is worth every penny, but a healthier Cairn puppy would be worth it to me.  That's not to say that if I spot another Scottie or Cairn or Westie in a local shelter I won't get there ASAP to adopt them, I know too well how special the terrier temperament is, and I also know that very, very few dog owners are mentally equipped to live with that temperament.  I know a GSD owner and handler on the east coast who could not be persuaded to own a terrier of any sort, and she's been "in dogs" her whole life, her grandfather bred and exhibited Springers decades ago, and she's trained more German Shepherds to do just about anything a dog can do than I can count, but she admits terriers confound her.  The average pet owner is often completely unable to understand that terriers are not really dogs, they are barking cats.  Throw a ball and tell most dogs to fetch, and off they race, bless them, and bring that ball right back.  Terriers look you in the eye and say "What's in it for me?"    Or, at least, "Only if I feel like it, once or twice, then you can fuggedaboudit".   😉  Thanks, everyone, for chiming in.  At least I know what to expect, prices are not as high as I feared.

Edited by CamilleatGaelforce
  • Agree 1

They are remarkable dogs.  So smart, clever and funny, beyond measure.  I appreciate what you have said about the challenges the breed presents and I, for one, am happy, Cairns are not the “golden” breed for everyone.

Bring on the Cairns, please!

• Agree 1