CairnTalk

4 month old male puppy weight

Tracy A.

Question.

How much does a 4 month (18 weeks)old male puppy weigh on average?
Amos is at a range I expected at 11 pounds at 18 weeks. Water is 9.02 at 18 weeks according to the Vet Saturday. 

I’m wondering if Walter if going to even reach 16 pounds, he’s gaining weight very slowly.
I have my weight charts from Mettwurst & Brattwurst, and they’re of no help.

thank you, Tracy

CC3D625C-037B-418E-ACA2-FCE53C2FD741.jpeg

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I wonder if there are charts somewhere, but I doubt it. I think there may be too much variability in size and, for lack of a better word, *density* of Cairns. Taking "bone" as one dimension, some have thick, almost coarse bone structure while others are light and weedy, leading to the stipulation that Cairns should have "medium bone" (which seems difficult to quantify).

When we had litters raised on raw food they tended to grow out more slowly than some of their corn-fed roly-poly peers yet all ended up within the "normal" wide range of sizes.

As the saying goes, we've had big'uns and little'uns and all have been terrific. A small, compact (not toylike) 14 pound male is a treat to see in the world these days, so good on him if he turns out to be a size that actually resembles the American standard.

My prediction, plucked from thin air and worth absolutely nothing, is that they will end up as adults at roughly the same weights, regardless of how long it took them both to settle down to it. 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

1 hour ago, bradl said:

When we had litters raised on raw food they tended to grow out more slowly than some of their corn-fed roly-poly peers yet all ended up within the "normal" wide range of sizes.

As the saying goes, we've had big'uns and little'uns and all have been terrific. A small, compact (not toylike) 14 pound male is a treat to see in the world these days, so good on him if he turns out to be a size that actually resembles the American standard.

Thank you for responding.  LOL I’m just happy that Walter can’t fit though the baby gate slats anymore at this point. Amos was the biggest puppy in the litter, with the rest about the same size.  I didn’t think about diet, they’re on a grain free puppy food and I’m feeding them 3 times a day. They are both lighter boned than Mett & Bratt were, and seem more delicate  because of lighter bone. We’ll have a celebration when Walter breaks 10 pounds… he’s still in a XS harness 

thanks again, Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Sooooo cute!

My previous Cairns weighed between 15 and 17 lbs as their adult weight.

Atticus is now 12 months old and weighs 12 pounds. I suspect he will reach (maybe) 13 pounds when his chest fills out.

I see Cairns of all sizes and some are over 25 lbs! I'm glad I don't have to lift a 25 pound pup!

• Like 1

aaaah! Amos is too cute. my cairns weighed 18-20 lbs and 11-13 lbs. i read that 14 lbs was average or ideal, but didn't see it in my own dogs. 

Angus filled out to 16lbs. I think many if not most cairns nowadays are quite a bit larger than that the ones I knewof growing up in UK. They were around 14-15 lbs. Nevertheless these larger ones seen today in both countries all seem to maintain the brighteyed intelligent independent nature typical of the breed. Thankful for that!

4 hours ago, Hillscreek said:

Angus filled out to 16lbs. I think many if not most cairns nowadays are quite a bit larger than that the ones I knewof growing up in UK. They were around 14-15 lbs. Nevertheless these larger ones seen today in both countries all seem to maintain the brighteyed intelligent independent nature typical of the breed. Thankful for that!

I belong to a handful of Cairn groups on Facebook and there are MANY full grown Cairns that are in the 20 to 25 pound range.

That’s too bad, I think bigger is not better, and 20-25 pounds makes a whole different dog, more medium, that a small terrier breed.  I prefer a more standard package.  It’s why we have the breed standard.  

Lots of Scotties are in that 20-25 pound range, and it makes earthwork significantly harder for them.  Their original breed standard weight was much lower, similar to the current Cairn standard, I believe, and those dogs were far more fit for the work they were developed for.  I think all the working terriers had both larger and smaller outliers in size, though, the smaller dogs were better as "hole dogs", the larger ones were the "ceasar dogs", waiting for the prey to bolt so they could grab it and kill it.  In the English foxhunting country the Foxhounds served that role, and thus the small, agile Jack Russell was ideal as a hole dog, but in the Highlands, a combo pack of the one or two terriers owned by several crofters coming together had to do everything, so if one man had a 14 pound, super-fierce and noisy little terrier while another had a hulking great 25 pounder, that fox or badger was toast.