CairnTalk

Krate size

bayfeet

We are expecting a new Cairn Puppy the first week in March. Any suggestions for krate size? I’ve tried searching on the forum and there is a lot of good info, but I’m not sure on the krate size. We haven’t had a puppy in fifteen years. 

Exciting! We have all kinds of crates but generally they fall into a "Medium" size, in various flavors of roughly 16-18 x 21-24. The wire ones tend to be larger and the plastic ones smaller.

If you don't mind replacing the crate later you can start with a small one for the puppy and then get a medium one once s/he gets a bit bigger. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Generally speaking, dogs like to "den." I kept the back of the crate against the wall with a small blanket draped over the top and 2 sides to block drafts. I removed the door so Ruffy could come and go as he pleased, but not everyone does that. (I removed blanket in hot weather).

• Agree 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

We used a small crate for our car, and house, when Attitcus was a small puppy. When he got bigger we switched to a medium crate for when we are not home (he is 8 months old) and now we use a harness/seat belt in the car. Atticus sleeps with us now, so he is in the medium crate for up to 4.5 hours 3 times a week when I work.

Congrats on getting your new puppy! I hope you share lots of pics with us!

I used medium wire crate with a blanket over it adjusting as needed. I tried the plastic ones but they seemed to get stuffy. At one time I travelled a lot so crate was good in Jeep and as a den and safe place in whatever room we stayed in.

Hoping to see pics of your your new little one!