CairnTalk

Sassy has become a very picky eater

remltr

Sassy is rejecting her food unless I add in crumpled up Ritz, Cheez-Its crackers or Cheerios. And then she will eventually reject any of those combinations. She won't eat carrots or green beans anymore, both of which she used to devour.

Treats are in the same condition. Charlee Bear, Milk Bone, nothing seems to interest her.

She will eat a nibble from whatever I am eating if I offer it to her. Of course only dog appropriate food. Bread, nibbles of hamburger.

But whatever I try she eventually will reject it and not go back.

I am not sure she is hungry or she is just loosing interest period.

I understand that she is almost 17 years old, but other than a right hind quarter that works 75% of the time and hearing and sight loss, she is doing pretty good for her age.

Running out of ideas.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Both my cairns would periodically do this over the years. But considering Sassy's age, it would of course be of some concern. With mine, I discovered that if I (patiently) hand-fed them from their dish, they would condescend to eat from my hand.

• Agree 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

At her age, I'd suspect kidney issues, has she been diagnosed with kidney disease?  I'd call the vet and ask if a round of bloodwork might be in order.  If it's her kidneys or liver, there are home-prepared diets that can add good quality time for her, whereas most dogs, in my experience, reject the "vet's prescription" type diets out of hand.  If her liver and kidneys are still okay, then there are some foods which most dogs adore, such as canned green tripe, which, mixed with her regular kibble, might pique her interest.  There are some canned foods that are mostly beef liver that are usually highly palatable, too.  In addition, I've found that Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw diets, when moistened with warm water, seem to keep dogs eating.  However, her behavior of liking something once, then turning her nose up at it, makes me suspect something medical, since she's eating something that's a novelty and tastes good, but makes her sick, so she rejects it a second time it's offered.  I hope your vet can give you good news soon, so you can keep coddling Sassy for a good, long time!

• Agree 1

true, she may need a prescription food. any tooth issues? have you tried baby food? something yummy. if you don;t think it covers the nutrition spectrum, you can get her liquid supplements to sprinkle on it. is she losing weight? i think most older animals try to keep the weight off their joints, find they are more comfortable if they go lighter on the eating. 

• Like 1

Agree with above. medical checkup for kidneys especially. Good home made recipes can be found on this site and elsewhere.

I've hardly ever heard anyone mention tripe. Very nutritious and all my dogs young and old have loved it. However it does have a pretty terrible smell which excites the dogs but repels humans! So be aware.

Wishing you both the best.

This is what happened to Finch in the last few months of her life. We tried different foods, which she liked at first, but after a few days, she lost interest. Some foods that worked were tuna water, sardines (yuck), and boiled chicken. Good luck. It's so hard to watch our beloved pets age in front of our eyes. I wish they lived as long as cats. (((hugs to you and Sassy))).

• Like 1

I have hit upon mixing her kibble with some canned food. She laps that up. Also for treats I am now just using Little Jacs. So for the moment she is content.

Thanks for all the feedback.

• Like 5

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 1:39 PM, Eliz222 said:

This is what happened to Finch in the last few months of her life. We tried different foods, which she liked at first, but after a few days, she lost interest. Some foods that worked were tuna water, sardines (yuck), and boiled chicken. Good luck. It's so hard to watch our beloved pets age in front of our eyes. I wish they lived as long as cats. (((hugs to you and Sassy))).

Yeah, same for Zippy, our late Bichon.  BUT if it is kidney problems, you can often run out the clock a long time by going crazy with meal prep.  Zip went a good nine or ten months after being given only weeks to live, and most of it with great quality of life.  The diet thing was very labor intensive, though.  Some nights I'd make him hamburger, and if that didn't work, I'd cook chicken.  Pumpkin is a great idea, we had some luck with that.  Often you have to rotate through stuff-- if she decides she doesn't like something on Tuesday, well, she might be fine with it on Friday.

that is a strange thing about the hand feeding. i have a moderately elderly cat who seems to have become a picky eater for no real reason. but if i sit in the room with him while he's eating, he eats. if i touch the food from time to time, he eats.  i had an extremely elderly horse who would be more consistent about eating if i stood near the bucket. this is extremely puzzling to me.

Yes, PK... It is strange...for us uprights...but to our dogs, cats, horses, etc., it makes perfectly good sense. (Perhaps they think we're going to steal their food?)😀  I hope these wonders never cease to baffle, intrigue and amuse us!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!