CairnTalk

DIY Puppy Toy

calypso

There seems to be a  new wave of youngsters right now, so it seems a good time to mention the favorite puppy toy at our house. Our breeder always has one of these in the yard, and the pups adore it. They race around with it, love the racket it makes, and our two year old still thinks it’s the best. She swings it around like a cross between a lasso and a majorette. Ours has colored wing nuts inside for bling, but rocks work just as well, and the thin plastic water bottles that crinkle are especially great.B7AEC6AF-66B9-4B12-AF5C-5E7AF101FC06.thumb.jpeg.a5b8a0051bd7ec32f0d499f4c086ea40.jpeg

Edited by calypso
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

That looks like a baby bottle of some sort? How is the rope attached?? I'm not very good with tools, but I bet I could throw some rocks into an empty water bottle....lol!

Just make a hole in the top of some sort of plastic bottle and thread a rope through it. Tie a knot in the end of the rope inside the lid. Put some rocks or anything to make it rattle, and screw the top back on. Ours has plastic wire nuts.
You have the right idea! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, calypso said:

Just make a hole in the top of some sort of plastic bottle and thread a rope through it. Tie a knot in the end of the rope inside the lid. Put some rocks or anything to make it rattle, and screw the top back on. Ours has plastic wire nuts.
You have the right idea! 

Thanks! I gave him an empty water bottle the other day, but they are soooo thin now, that I took it away after awhile because I thought his teeth might go through. I'll look for a thicker bottle.

The thin bottles do collapse in time, but dogs seem to like the crackling noise, and I’ve seen very old ones that are still intact. 

1 hour ago, calypso said:

The thin bottles do collapse in time, but dogs seem to like the crackling noise, and I’ve seen very old ones that are still intact. 

They do make a great sound....for him.....not so much for me!

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:38 PM,  calypso said: 

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

One of Ruffy's favorite toys was an empty water bottle. I would remove the paper labels, caps and small plastic rings below the caps and put some small (Charlee Bear) treats inside and scrunch the top 1/3 of the bottle closed. We found that Poland Spring bottles had the right amount of thinness for us. It would take him a while to work on the bottle until he reshaped it so the treats would fall out. When the bottles would start to shred, I'd remove them, although he usually abandoned the bottles, once the treats had fallen out!🙂

image.thumb.png.67fa83afdbdfb7ab63b129fad7264c18.png

Edited by sanford
spelling
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Carey said:

We have put plastic bottles inside an old (clean) sock...makes lots of noise, but reduces shredding the plastic.

That's a great idea!

• Like 1