CairnTalk

Help me rename experience ranks?

bradl

Are you stuck indoors and need something low-stakes to puzzle with? 

If you've been around for a long while you may remember when the software used pips, corresponding to post count,  to mark how active we've been on the forum. Here's an example from ten years ago — the number of pips highlighted and  the rank title "Companion Poster" were automatically assigned based on the number of posts. At that time I was attempting to use AKC obedience titles (Companion, Excellent, Utility) to mark the experience progression.

Attila_versus_laser_pointer_-_Cairn_Talk_Forum.png

The next update to the forum software (coming soon) will bring a feature that will programmatically award ranks/titles that correspond to various levels of activity on the site. The new system is able to use more dimensions of activity (beyond # of posts)  to recognize contribution. You don't do anything different, these are just labels that display on profiles and hovercards.

Anyway, these are the canned ranks that come as default:

1. Newbie
  2. Rookie
  3. Apprentice 
  4. Explorer 
  5. Contributor 
  6. Enthusiast
  7. Collaborator 
  8. Regular 
  9. Rising Star 
  10. Proficient
  11. Experienced 
  12. Mentor 
  13. Veteran
  14. Grand Master — really need something better!

I can rename them and would like to have them be somewhat more useful or self-explanatory. 

If this is the sort of thing that you like tinkering with, I'm open to suggestions to rename any or all of them to reflect the sort of progression of experience and trust that develops over long term participation in a community. 

Feel free to let me know which ranks could or should be renamed by telling me the default rank and what could replace it. These do need to rather *short* — "Person who has been around a while and posts regularly" may be descriptive but does not fit the  brief.

For example 

#1, I would probably rename "Registered" as the initial condition

#2, I might rename "Getting Started" or ? 

#13, I might rename Community Veteran or CairnTalk Veteran, or ?

#8,  I might clarify as Community Regular, or ?  (I'm all for being Regular but sometimes it helps to be more specific :P )

I think the important overview concept is that these 'ranks' relate mostly to degree of community experience, not Cairn experience. A very experienced Cairn person newly joining the forum might take offense at being labeled a Newbie, not recognizing that the label refers only to CairnTalk and not suggesting they are a dog newbie.

Anyway, if you have ideas I'm grateful to hear them. Obviously at the point of installation I will have to make some choices but I'd much rather they be informed by your suggestions. 

Note: I know that some folk do not like this sort of "gamification" of things, but it's built-in and coming fast so I'd like to make it as useful as possible for the people for whom it's useful, and as painless as possible for the people for whom it's painful. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Regret I have no suggestions. The whole idea of ranks and categories is not for me. Speaking as a "regular contributor" 🥰............What does that mean? A regular contributor of nonsense or what? Not too sure what the point is of categorizing users of the site. 

Some reasons include rewarding contribution, encouraging positive engagement, and recognizing experience using the forum. 

Such systems tend to help new members by helping them identify trusted (or likely creditable) sources and give some members an incentive (however trivial)  to engage. The spectrum of participation by "regular members" and "elders" tends to provide examples to newer members of what's considered normal in a community.

It may make more sense once implemented, but I was thinking it might be nice to get some input on the nomenclature first. My goal is to offend as few people as possible when the update is installed. 

As noted, some people take offense at badges and whatnot; others appreciate being recognized for contributions; others are scarcely aware or care such systems exist. 

My goal is to make what exists as useful as possible for the people for whom it's useful, and as painless as possible for the people for whom it's painful. 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

I would drop Regular because what does that mean? Active participant sound better to me. Grand  Poobah replace Grand Master...the reason I think makes a fun statement where master might be intimidating...and what is a Grand Master  anyway? 123 to me are the same.  We could have less badges, and make the ones left fun and not so serious? I think a few don’t apply at all this forum I.e., explorer, collaborator, efficient etc. 

• Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thanks for for taking time to explain in more detail Brad. You do such great work maintaining this site.  I really appreciate it and I'm sure others do too. Its such an insightful respectful group willing to share their experiences good and bad, fun and sorrowful. So supportive to all cairn terrier owners and their pals 100% purebred or not. Hard to find anything similar. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like both apps I was waiting for to update have just been updated, so our forum update will be soonish. I don't have the energy currently to do a top-bottom reconfiguration of the feature as it will be delivered so at least at first I will limit myself to simply renaming a number of the pre-installed levels to give at least some of them a CairnTalkish spin, keeping in mind the feedback provided.  Any and all of them can be renamed at any time, and no doubt will evolve over time. It's a really small thing in the scheme of things. There is no functional affect. Think of the levels and accompanying icons as decorations around the edges.