CairnTalk

No dogwalking for 3 months

Kathryn

Just an update from the Kathryn/Steve/Oban/Angus household: A couple weeks ago, I was rushing down our stairs at 5:30 a.m. to get started with my gardening.  About two weeks before that, we had had new carpet installed on the stairs: very cushy carpet, with a deep deep mat. On the third or fourth step from the bottom, I somehow  misjudged the new full, cushy step and fell - hard.  And laid there on my back at the bottom of the stairs thinking, "I don't think I can get up..." I knew my head was bleeding, and my back seemed badly wrenched.  It was.  After an ambulance ride to the hospital trauma center, I learned I had a fractured vertebra in my lower back, and had twisted some of the softer tissue all out of whack too. I am on house arrest, in a plastic clamshell body brace 24/7 for at least 8 weeks, maybe 12.

Obviously I cannot garden and I cannot make pots (I cancelled all summer and fall art shows). The dogs do not understand however, that I cannot pick them up, and that I cannot take them outside on a leash, even for a short leg lift.  Because I am home all the time, they ask me first. (But they always did...)

On the upside, they are my constant companions.  They have figured out that they cannot sleep in my lap: it has become very hard and uncomfortable. But they are in touching distance all the time. I posted a photo in our June contest that I took earlier tonight: when I am sitting up in my chair, they are on the ottoman next to me. 

Here's to attentive dogs and a solicitous husband.  I would be in real trouble without them. 

• Sad 2

Oh no Kathryn how horrible for you! I hope you heal fast, get back up on your feet, throw those pots and play with the pups. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Dear Kathryn,

So sorry to read this terrible news. I put in my vote for your sweet pic of Oban and Angus, hoping it will bring you a small bit of cheer.

Please keep in touch during your recovery and let us know how you are doing.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Whoa. I'm so sorry to read this. I *knew* gardening was a bad idea. Or stairs, one of those, I forget. I'm glad you have canine recovery aides to look after you, and that Steve is fully housebroken so you don't have to worry about that. 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

So sorry to hear this bad news. Hoping  you have good recovery. Thankful you have cairn support to assist your husband.:hug::pray:

• Like 1

oh what rotten luck. i don't think 8 to 12 weeks will fly by in a wink. hope the pain diminishes soon and you can at least truly rest. all in all it does sounds like you might have got a bit lucky, especially with histting your head and all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...