CairnTalk

Female Cairn Terrier Four Years Old this Month - Worried

gd4

Hello, I hope someone might have some advice. I have a little female Cairn terrier who is our pride and joy. She will be 4 on 5/31. She is generally a happy and healthy little girl. Her last vet visit was 2/20 when she had professional dental cleaning due to peri disease. I feed her Purina Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice with Merrick lil plates varied wet topping, small in the evening. She gets one egg per day in the morning. The only treats are Turkey Jerky from Chewy. She drinks and eats normally and walks up to 2 miles each day. Recently, we had new vinyl flooring put in our family room and on the stairs. She seemed to be terrified to go up the stairs and would get stuck (she is used to carpeted). We have tried to coax her and she even lightly fell a couple of times. Lately, over the last two weeks, she seems not herself. She is lethargic except when she goes for her walks. She doesn't seem to have her general happy go lucky interest to hang outside and chase birds. She just seems to sleep or rest most of the time. I am so worried. I don't know if she is depressed or what is wrong. BMs are normal. No blockage. My husband noted a small bit of mucous today. No vomiting. When I lift her up, she acts like she wants to slump (lazily) on her back legs. Yet, she still walks fine with my husband. I have not idea and I am worried sick. I am taking her to the Vet tomorrow. Please help.

Edited by gd4

Other than possibly thinking of ways to add traction to the vinyl on the stairs, I don't have much to offer — you're going to see the vet and that's exactly what I would do too. It could be as simple as she's peeved about the flooring. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks so much, Brad. I pray that this is the only issue and I can make a little grumpy terrier happier. We placed carpet squares on the steps but she refuses. Wow, these stubborn terriers. She is my third, so I understand! Thank you.

you're doing absolutely the right thing to get a vet check. these things are complicated but it is logical to first check out medical issues --she could have some kind of infection (dental?), or be allergic to something (maybe food --maybe vinyl!). a kidney and liver function read via blood draw is easy and can tell a lot. if you rule out medical, then you might have to do some thorough analysis of the environment and her reactions. aversion to the vinyl is probably not the same thing as being lethargic --there could be several things going on. if the vinyl is new it may have a smell to her, she may not like the sound of herself or people walking on it, she might be distressed if it is shiny and interferes with her vision (dogs really don't see all that well). i have a dog who absolutely will not do stairs. she will not approach, and if she fears somebody is going to force her up or down stairs (which doesn't happen) she cowers like she is afraid of being beaten (though she has no idea what that is) and gives a good imitation of being the next thing to apoplectic. so, when it comes to exaggerated reactions, dogs are past masters and cairns are at the top of the heap. but it is a relief that you are covering the medical first. 

• Like 1

Wow, PK. You covered a lot of ground in your post and some thoughts resonated with me. Specifically, the experience you have with your Cairn and her actions of cowering on stairs; Trina is like this, too, now. Also, one particular note, we found a tightly secured piece of wood on the bottom of her paw tonight. We do not see infection or redness; nor, any remaining. We cut this out of her hair. My hunch is that this might be enough to freak her out as she is easily anxious. Also, it could very well feel uncomfortable and cause her pain, possibly throw her step off. I canceled her appointment to monitor her tomorrow as she seems a bit happier. However, I did keep her standing appointment with her regular vet in the next few days. I think this is the plan but I am hopeful she will return to normal. I didn't even think she could be allergic to vinyl flooring - yikes! Thank you so much!

Perhaps the new vinyl flooring is (temporarily) giving off new odors or gases that Trina is sensitive to. (After all, she is very close to the floor)! I hope this is not the case, but even if true, such a condition should dissipate with time. Good luck!

P.S. The problem with sensitivity to gases was true for a close friend whose company installed new carpeting in his office. It had to be removed.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thank you, Sanford! I hope it is temporary and Trina doesn't get her way with new flooring [grin]. We added some carpeted pieces to the steps and she turned her nose up. Have a great day!

Agree vet check first. Then if all normal I would guess the new flooring is bothering her. Her sense of smell is much more sensitive than ours.  And as sanford mentions the chemicals in the vinyl may be affecting her. Check what materials the vinyl is made of. There are non-toxic vinyls available. Do you have any of the old carpeting. Try putting that on the stairs and/or over a small area of the vinyl on the floor. See if that makes a difference. It maybe that it just takes time for her to accept the new flooring.

Good luck. Let us know how she does

Thanks, Sanford. We did put some carpeting pieces on the stairs for her and she has her little bed to rest. I'm so worried.

We ended up taking her to the ER vet on Friday because we could not get her in to the office. She is still having issues with weakness in her behind and legs. After the big bill spent at the vet, she was sent home with pain pills for back pain with possibly a round of steroids if not better. I am surprised they did not do a blood panel. They said that she was very anxious and her adrenaline could be covering up signs that she shows at home. While there, she did not act like she did at home. All that was said was possible back pain and she was given pain pills ever 8-12 hours. I believe the pills are called Gabapentin. I have a follow-up with her regular vet on Wednesday. I am hoping i get more answers at that time. She is still exhibiting weakness and lethargic. She does get up and move around during some periods. I am so worried sick and unhappy that the ER could not offer more answers.

Thank you, HIllscreek. I am worried since this started after the vinyl flooring. We are not sure if she hurt herself on the stairs while climbing as well. :(

Thanks so much for checking back, PK and to all friends who have advised over the last few weeks. As always, it is greatly appreciated and I know my response offers some guidance along the way for others who may find my notes in the future. This is the current situation. Trina was still experiencing issues with getting around after the ER visit and didn't seem to benefit much from the pain pills in that approach. However, the follow-up with her regular vet a few days later noted that on thorough examination, she didn't appear to have any back/spinal issues (of course, no CT or MRI was completed). Her anal glands were also checked and fine. The vet did notice some arthritis or limited flexibility in her wrist and also felt she may have some soft tissue or muscle injury from a possible slip on the flooring. Her advice was to include a low dose anti-inflammatory for a week with the pain pills. By this time, Trina was starting to move around and act a bit happier so my hunch is her regular vet had made the right choice by including the anti-inflammatory pill. Not sure why ER didn't do this. Currently, she finished all meds yesterday and she is 95% back to normal function and a happy, little Cairn. She celebrated her 4th birthday last Monday. VERY THANKFUL!

• Like 2

Good news! Glad you were able to follow through with visit to her regular vet. Looks like everything going back to normal after new floor fright for Trina. Happy days ahead .....we hope and expect.:thumbsup:

Edited by Hillscreek
correction