CairnTalk

Surgery and the dreaded Cone"

Kate

My little girl is at the vet's as I am typing this (getting spayed).  She is out of surgery and did very well. The doctor called me and stressed the importance of keeping that hard cone (clear plastic) on her as she recouperates.  He stated that due to breed he cannot stress enough for me to keep that dreaded cone on.  I think she threw a fit when they tried to get her prepped for surgery.  Prior to that; they thought she was a wonderful, perfect, calm little girl.  RIGHT!

My question from all of you is this:  

1.  What are your suggestions (based on experience)

2.  Are the vets just paranoid about them getting loose and jumping playing?

3.  Is it as serious as the vet lets on that I have to keep her penned up with a cone on for 14 days?

I feel so bad to the point I wish I would have left her intact but the terms of my contract with the breeder said I must get her spayed.

Thanks for any insight.

Well the vet is not wrong that jumping and picking at the surgery wound are Very Not Good and should be prevented.

It is extraordinarily difficult to keep these dogs on Pause mode. When they bounce back they tend to want to literally bounce back (and pounce back). Some dogs will self-mediate for a day or so but it will not kill her (despite the looks she will give you) to keep her crated or penned for a few days. I've never gone anywhere near 14 days, but maybe a week at most with supervised outings on leash to prevent exuberant behavior.

As for the cone … uh, we have never used a cone more than a day. HOWEVER we also watch them like a hawk to MAKE SURE they are leaving the wound alone. We have also used an inflatable collar in lieu of a cone. In that case we observed that the dog WAS going to bother the wound. There are many  innovative alternatives to the Elizabethan  collar that prevent mouth access to a spay wound.

Now if you don't use something, and she infects or opens the wound, you will have to admit to the vet you were not compliant. We try hard (while not being compliant) to prevent that embarrassing circumstance by being extra vigilant and taking escalating steps if and as necessary.

Your girl may wobble around a bit the first day and you'll feel terrible, but it will probably shock you how fast she is back to normal. It's the waiting the extra week or so *after* they seem normal that is the hardest to manage!

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Brad - thank you SO much.  I always come to this site for help when  I need it.  This is my second Cairn and I have to admit that they are a handful.  We are retired and seniors so she is a challenge for us but we love it and she keeps us moving.  

I have had females of several breeds that have been spayed. 

We did not use any kind of restraint. And as I recall a cone was not recommended. Just keep an eye on her my vet said. They licked the incision now and then but only one ever tried to bite out the stitches. I forget what we used to discourage her but it was not a cone - maybe some kind of collar. Never had an infection partly due I think to the healing effects of the saliva on the wound. I think excessive licking might irritate the incision and should be discouraged. But I also think the collar distresses the dog who is anxious to check out the wound.

Tried to be very watchful using crate and a leash to restrict free running and jumping until the stiches were removed.

We either use one of those blow up cushions but on our spayed females I would go to the baby area in a store and buy a an infant onesie worked like a charm as it covers the surgical site . Legs go through the arm holes head through the head  part. Also we took all the pillows off the sofa and chairs and places them on the floor against the furniture so it stops them from jumping up. And of course always kept an eye on them and on a leash for about a week. It is amazing how fast they heal!

here is a picture of the blow up collar you can usually get them at pet stores or vet clinics. https://www.petsmart.ca/dog/collars-harnesses-and-leashes/training-collars-leashes-and-harnesses/calm-paws-behavior-supportandtrade-protective-inflatable-pet-collar-5176459.html

Just saw this on amazon . https://www.amazon.com/Belly-Guard-Dog-Recovery-Onesie/dp/B07K5911YQ

Edited by Sam I Am

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Katie did not need a collar after surgery.

But she needed a collar for walking her when the acorns were everywhere and she ate a few that required an emergency vet! She can't scoop up acorns with it on. 

The collar we bought was a ZenCone soft recovery Collar and she tolerated it quite well. Its not as rigid as an ecollar so they can easily lie down.

Cheers!

ZenCone.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dianne said:

The collar we bought was a ZenCone soft recovery Collar and she tolerated it quite well. Its not as rigid as an ecollar so they can easily lie down.

very fetching!