CairnTalk

Spike's Upcoming MRI and Spinal Tap

Catalyzt

On 7/5/2021 at 1:40 PM, sanford said:

We continued with Trazodone for a good number of months until the end when Ruffy’s heart condition caught up with him a few weeks ago.

I am so sorry about Ruffy, I think I missed this post, sorry for the late response.  Rest in peace, little fellow! 

• 7 months later...

Update here: Spike had his second seizure.  Very similar to the first, but a little worse.  At no point was he just lying down and convulsing, but he did fall over three or four times, had trouble getting up, and was agitated and disoriented.  The whole thing lasted 13-14 minutes.  (If it was a full-on seizure that lasted that long, I'd be more concerned, but still worrying.)

It's been 15 months since the last one, so I don't think we need to start meds yet.  I'll update the vet on Monday by email.  Full recovery, no residual symptoms.

It's interesting because he had stopped fly snapping entirely for about three months... but over the last two weeks, the fly snapping had increased.  He still is doing it a bit, though not very much.  A few snaps every two or three days.

What blew my mind: How well his brother-from-another-mother, Bartleby the 12+ year old Bichon X, handled this event.  I immediately dropped to the floor and got right next to Spike so I could catch him if he flopped over, but I could only cover 180 degrees.  Bartleby came right over and covered the other 180!  "I got him, Dad."  And indeed, Spike did flop in Bartleby's direction once... and his head landed harmlessly on Barty's thick coat.  Understand, when we got Bartleby 10 years ago, his PTSD was so intense no one could pet him and he couldn't even walk on a leash.  When friends tried to greet him, he'd cower under a chair and could not be soothed.  My buddies would lie on their backs holding cookies and making soothing noises = made no difference, Bartleby was in a state of frozen, apoplectic terror.

We both know Spike can be violent, too (though he hasn't been during either seizure, the time he bit me so badly there was definitely a neurological element.)  So how, and when, did this Bichon become so brave?  

Let's all keep our fingers crossed.  Hope we don't see this again for at least another year or never.  

9 minutes ago, Catalyzt said:

So how, and when, did this Bichon become so brave?  

Because he understood when a buddy needs deep down help........bless the both of them.........and you too of course for your bravery and patience

• Like 1

you have a very fine family. has Spike been under any kind of stress taht could have brought it on? he is so lucky to have you on hand to manage the situation. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry Spike had another seizure. I know it's frustrating when you don't know why they occur. I hope the vet can get to the bottom of his problem.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Seizure #3, almost identical to #2 in duration-- 13 or 14 minutes-- though severity was a bit less:  He did not actually fall over, just had trouble staying on his feet.  Didn't seem like he was gonna flop over, either, though Bartleby and my wife and I surrounded him just in case.

No, no stress preceding this, PK, except Dad has had some very hard cases the past week or two, and some friends in severe physical and mental distress.  He could have picked up on that-- but he hasn't been on camera with my clients for a week or so.  And it's very hot outside my office, but the boys have been staying in my office.  

They have actually been in very good shape recently.  Still not super-worried yet.  

It is interesting that the fly snapping definitely increases in the weeks before seizures although-- *sigh* -- there are also real flies that Spike snaps at!

He's still a great hunter-- and a smart one.  The other day, I was practicing guitar, and he alerted on something on the floor-- pawed the ground, danced back and forth, looked up at me... but didn't attack it.  About three minutes later, I saw a HUGE centipede.  Trapped it and threw it out in the yard on the other side of the hill.

He also doesn't actually eat flies that he catches.  He'll drop 'em.  And I've seen him tracking a bee, too-- but when I tell him not to bite it, he obeys.

Bummer.  Let's hope for a longer run between seizures this time-- at least six months.  But my wife and I both agree this was not as intense as either of the others, and probably shorter than the first.

I'm sympathetic to Spike, having endured a number of lumbar taps and at least on MRI a year. 

Wishing him well, a fast diagnosis and a complete cure.

I'm so sorry Spike had another seizure, but relieved it wasn't as intense as the last one. It's been really hot here too, and I wonder if that could have contributed to the seizure?

• 10 months later...

Seizure #4 today.  I'm glad I can track them through these posts, because I can see that #4 was very, very similar to #3 (and track how far apart they are.)  Again, he did not flop over, but we were surrounding him (me, my wife, and Bartleby) and soothing and supporting him, so it's hard to say.  Same duration, just under 15 minutes.  This might have been less intense than #3, though it's hard to assess.

Another detail:  These are biphasic, with the first phase being the most intense, near complete recovery at 10 minutes, then some wobbly walking, then a bit of a relapse though only to about 60% peak intensity.

And again, Bartleby was amazing.  Wouldn't let Spike out of his site.  Walked back and forth, rubbing his body gently against Spikes, like he was petting him, too.

Almost 12 months since the last one.  Let's go for a year!

We did start Spike on Advantage II flea medication a few weeks ago.  We had no choice-- the herbal flea collars, which helped somewhat the past two years, were no longer working at all.  We were advised to wait 24 hours after removing the collars, but waited three days just to be sure.  The Advantage has not been perfect, either-- I'd say it's 70% effective.  So I hope there is no connection.  At least this seizure was no worse.  

very nearly a year. i guess if it were something developmental they might get further apart? certainly a reasonable hope?

we all want a friend like that marvelous Bartleby. clearly another dog you have been brilliant with. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

very nearly a year. i guess if it were something developmental they might get further apart? certainly a reasonable hope?

we all want a friend like that marvelous Bartleby. clearly another dog you have been brilliant with. 

Very kind of you to say so!  Actually, it was our previous dog, Zippy (another bratty Bichon X) who both insisted we adopt Barty and also who civilized him.  Bartleby was nearly feral when we got him, just cowered and shook whenever anyone approached him, and couldn't even walk on a leash-- had no idea what to do, just stood there, until Zippy nudged him along.  "Come on, kid, here-- see, you can pee on stuff, it's great.  How about that bush?  Come on..."

Much like Zippy, Spike is both very loving toward Bartleby, and very competitive.  Will steal his food, but if we're grooming Bartleby with a flea comb or doing anything that makes him uncomfortable, Spike will leap right in there and scold us, stand between Barty and us, etc.

Spike is acting totally normal after the seizure, or most folks would think so... I'm not sure, though.  He seems a bit worked up... during our evening nap, he woke up  with his jaws snapping-- but pulled back at the last second, missing my leg by a few inches.  "Whoa!  Sorry, Dad.  I have no idea what that was."

Keeping an eye on him.  Playing and interacting normally in all other respects, just easily worked up.  Wish it weren't so hot, I'd play with him more outside, hike, or help him burn off some energy.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Haven't been here for a while, should have noted: Another seizure in... early November 2023, might be late October, I think, but it's hard to remember.  I swore up and down I'd make a note hear so I got it right.

This was an odd one in that it happened at about 2:00 AM.  As I've mentioned before, my wife goes to bed about 45 minutes before me-- I feed our turtle, do the last dog walk, make sure all the doors are windows are locked, and a few other mundane chores before evening prayers with the doges and getting them settled in the crate (my home office), and then I will usually doze with them for a 20 minutes to a half hour, because I wake up then anyway, for whatever reason, no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

On this occasion, I got them down at 12:45, and for some reason, I slept over an hour.  When I woke up around 2, Spike was wandering around disoriented, in the prodromal phase, so I did the usual drill and followed him around, keeping him from hitting his head on anything.  Exactly the same, looks like a complete recovery after about 10 minutes, then a relapse at 60% intensity.  This was different only because it was late at night, and because I was half asleep myself.

Not much else to report, I still don't see any point in starting meds.  The other difference: Spike is always scared after these, so I stayed with him on the office couch and slept for another 90 minutes just to make sure he was all right.  So he got back to sleep around 2:45, and I didn't properly get to bed until around 4:00 AM, but when I left the office, it was like any other night around midnight:  He raised his head slightly, a little sleepy, let me pet him, like, "Yeah, I'm find now, Dad," and I left him with Bartleby for the rest of the night.  

Just will keep an eye on it.  No other behavioral changes, another post to follow about a few new things he's learned, etc.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear about Spikes troubles.  There is no way to know that he will be OK, until you've done the necessary diagnostic work.

Ive been home.with our sick boy this week while my wife is off skiing. (It must be nice). Fergus started with a cough, then dreadfully difficult elimination, at all hours with tinge of red. All very upsetting.  

Our regular vet was booked all week I took him to the very fancy 24 Hour San Francisco Pet Medical Hospital. Great veterinarians there but wow, am I grateful for SPCA insurance!

We got some.stuff to treat his GI distress but test results have been slow.

I think this time of year is tough on pets of all species,  people wrapped up in holiday activities,  weird food all around them, and wet weather with it's own issues.

Sendinh our best to you and Spike.

• Like 1

Your love for Spike is shining brightly. He is very lucky to have you as his pet parent as your dedication to his illness is amazing. I hope that something will turn up to ease his symptoms and give you peace of mind. 

• Agree 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

On 12/17/2023 at 9:16 PM, Moto-Rama said:

I'm sorry to hear about Spikes troubles.  There is no way to know that he will be OK, until you've done the necessary diagnostic work.

Ive been home.with our sick boy this week while my wife is off skiing. (It must be nice). Fergus started with a cough, then dreadfully difficult elimination, at all hours with tinge of red. All very upsetting.  

Our regular vet was booked all week I took him to the very fancy 24 Hour San Francisco Pet Medical Hospital. Great veterinarians there but wow, am I grateful for SPCA insurance!

We got some.stuff to treat his GI distress but test results have been slow.

I think this time of year is tough on pets of all species,  people wrapped up in holiday activities,  weird food all around them, and wet weather with it's own issues.

Sendinh our best to you and Spike.

Thank you so much for that -- he's had an MRI, spinal tap, etc. a couple of years ago, this is an old thread I keep alive with updates, so we can get support from y'all and track his symptoms in the same place!  Your kind thoughts are much appreciated.

I am so sorry about Fegus's cough-- and I'm glad you went to the 24-hour Urgent Care in SF, blood in urine is absolutely terrifying.  We do have a little experience with that.  A couple of months ago, we noticed Spike standing with his leg lifted and nothing coming out-- and he'd look me dead in the eye, like "Dad, this doesn't seem right."  Then we saw blood in his urine when he had an accident indoors, and rushed him to the vet.  As always, when he's sick, if we put the harness on him and not on Bartleby and I open the door?  He goes straight to the car.  He WANTS to go to the vet.  I've never had a dog do that before.  Once we get there, he'll shirk a bit right at the door, but then march right in.

On the exam table, it's not easy.  We cover his head with a heavy blanket and I'll say soothing things and hold his head while the doc massages his lower abdomen and gets him to pee-- that's how we had to get a sample.  The results were inconclusive-- the urine was off, though they couldn't find any bacteria.  Started him on antibiotics ASAP anyway, thank God he'll take them in a cheese ball that we'll toss in his bowl halfway through a meal.  He began improving after three doses, symptoms were gone in six days, but we gave him the full course, which was 10 days or 2 weeks.  (After which, halfway through his dinner, he'd stop and look at me, "Dude, where's the cheese ball?")

On 12/19/2023 at 5:47 AM, Sam I Am said:

Your love for Spike is shining brightly. He is very lucky to have you as his pet parent as your dedication to his illness is amazing. I hope that something will turn up to ease his symptoms and give you peace of mind. 

We're hoping he can make it to March with no seizures... at least they aren't getting worse, though the frequency has increased a little.

When my wife and I had covid, he was really amazing.  When my fever was higher?   He and Barty stayed with me in the office.  (We had to isolate, my wife wasn't positive yet.)  But once my fever dipped below about 100, and hers started climbinb?  They went down and stayed by her bed.  This really gave me peace of mind, because my wife is very hard of hearing.  If one of the bipeds had been in real trouble, I had total confidence they would have alerted the other.

The leash aggression is much improved.  He even has a few friends in the neighborhood, now, who he will visit with (on leash) when he's on the walk, and  if he meets other dogs his size for the first time, he often greets them without violence or (much) suspicion!  This was a very rare event a year ago, and unheard of 18 months ago.  

He's better about barking whenever anyone is in the cul-de-sac-- and he makes ir pretty clear when someone has actually opened the gate and delivered something, though curiously, it's Bartleby who provides the confirmation so I'm sure-- he barks WITH Spike at that point, and will turn and look at me, as if to say, "yeah, someone did open the gate, there's a package out there."  They get rewarded when they get it right, which is almost always.  When Spike is reacting to something harmless, I just tell him "It's okay, that's just our neighbor."

I've also gotten him to stop arguing with the coyotes who howl late at night (mostly) wen they try to engage Spike in howling and barking dialogue-- it sounds like a ritual exchange of insults.  No harsh correction, just a soft "No" and then I explain to him that it's not tactically wise to give away your position to a larger predator.  I swear, he looks at me like he's really trying to understand.  "But Dad, I can't listen to him talk about us that way!  He was insulting our whole family!  And the language he used!"  "I know, pal, but he's just trying to figure out where the little dogs live."  

• Like 2

Sometimes I have difficulty figuring out what year this is.  Good to hear that Spike is doing well!

Fergus...omg, or should I say 'E.R. Fergus"? 

His cough cleared up very quickly, but then Doggie GI Distress, big time. 5 days of "Doggie D" , then a return to the Vet. 

She didn't suspect any obstructions and put him on Proviable (diarrhea treatment) which cleared up his distressing and sudden attacks. She prescribed some very mild Hills Diet canned food, too. So just when I was about to breathe again,  he pooped an assortment of things,  including a couple of 2-3 " long twigs, something rather like a piece of fabric and uggh.

Fergus, who has been under a virtual microscope on walks, and while playing in the yard, still managed to Hoover up enough debris to produce yet another shocking doody.

I'm guessing it's 2 things, one, his restricted ðiet and 2, the recent rains have made the random things along his daily walks much more interesting. 

Now on Day 3 of A Normal Diet (minus his favorite treats)

Dogs. Is there any way they would survive on their own? 

• Like 1

I swear Cairns are empaths. They can read emotions, sense illnesses in their uprights. If I so much as sniffle Sam is jumping all over me trying to ease the sadness that he obviously is tuned into it. It’s amazing.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie