CairnTalk

Forum Views - Grid vs Table

bradl

Grid v. Table  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which view are you CURRENTLY using to view the list of forums?

• Grid View
    • Table View
    • Grid view but only because I had no idea it could be changed
  2. 2. Which view do you PREFER and be likely to use in the future

• Grid View
    • Table View
    • Not Sure
    • No Strong Preference

Curious  about use (and preference) of the two provided forum views: grid view and table view.

Grid View

The site is set to use the image-oriented Grid View by default — it's what guests see and what you will see if you don't click the button to change it.

grid.png

Table View

Table view as its name implies lists the forums in a text-oriented table format.

table.png

Changing the View

To change the view from one to the other you use the icon at the top of the forum list. In the screen capture below, the Table view has been selected.

table copy.png

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I mostly leave it on grid but I do switch back and forth from time to time.

Truthfully I mainly read the site via the All Activity timeline. I visit the main page fairly frequently, though, primarily to check the chatbox and see contest standings.

On other sites I am less familiar with I tend to to prefer a table view until I have internalized the scope of content and where things live. Sites I visit frequently I tend to view through an activity or latest posts view, or whatever the site equivalent is.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

I usually use grid view but tried table view for a while. Just switched back. For me it is easier to locate recent postings in that view. However that maybe because that's what I have used all the time previously as didn't realize till a little while ago there was any other way!

Brad- You mention that you periodically check the contest standings. I used to look forward to doing that, but I think that standings are no longer shown — or else I can no longer find them as I used to. It made the contest much more interesting and even affected my vote. For me, it’s not even a “contest” if I can’t track who is ahead, etc.

If I’m wrong and the standings are still shown, please let me know. Thanks!

P.S. I use grid or table view depending on my mood.

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

It's a setting that's per each contest. When a new contest spawns itself each month, I needed to remember to go in and set it. I failed :(  However, I just found where to set a new default so that from now on the new monthly contests should show votes without me having to remember. Remind me if it doesn't stick. As the number of active site members is quite small I am loathe to drive anyone away needlessly.  

I remain somewhat concerned that showing the number of votes has potential negative effects. One is that it might discourage voting ("my vote won't change anything"); another is that it might discourage entry ("I didn't get any votes, why bother" vs "dang I didn't win but I don't know if I was just out of the money or dead last"); and as mentioned before, low voting pretty much portrays the site as tumbleweed city. As I've mentioned before, site activity comes and goes in waves with a periodicity of years so I tend to just let it be what it is and try not to stress about it, although I'd rather not actively work against us :w00t: 

I am rather personally leaning to no show of votes. It’s supposed to be a chance to show off our beloved Cairns with a little fun thrown in. 

• Agree 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Some love competition some don't so it is quite difficult to know what to do. 

Personally I'm not too keen on competition. I dropped out of all showing in obedience and best of breed from my brief experiences in show and obedience. Quite often I saw too much stress on dogs and handlers in obedience and too much politicking in show. 

I love to see the pics but never quite figured out how to post pics. Truth to tell I didn't try too hard.

Perhaps we could have just a page to show pics of our cairns. After all every one of us has a winner living with us🏆😁

• Like 1

Brad --

Thanks for responding to the issue of whether or not to show the number of votes for the monthly photos. I can see the validity to both sides, and any decision would be OK with me. Bottom line: I enjoy seeing pix of other cairns and I think others do, as well. I thought the votes added another layer of interest, but maybe not a good idea if it discourages submissions.

P.S. Ever since the recent upgrade, I can't seem to access a number of features on the site. Too many to mention without it seeming like a laundry list. If nobody else has this problem, I'll assume the problem is on my end.

Your efforts in keeping this site going are greatly appreciated!

• Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

List them one at a time and we'll solve them one at a time. 

For example where did the Edit link go?  It moved to the upper right corner.

Click the three dots in the upper right corner of a recent post to expose the edit link (and the report to moderator and share links).  Note: you can only edit a post for a limited time; after a while the post is what it is, so proofreading and corrections are best attempted while a post is fresh :)