CairnTalk

Crate or Pen

Rate this topic

Daisy80

We are preparing for a new puppy in about 3 weeks. We have been looking for a perfect family dog and Cairns were at the top of our list. This little boy became available and I am currently teaching online so it seemed like a great time! Now the district is discussing returning in March. šŸ˜¬ If I go back to in person teaching we will have someone come to let him out, feed and play mid day. However, because of this possibility should I crate train using a crate only while I am still teaching from home or should we set up an ex pen to ā€œcrateā€ train him with?

Would he be confused if we trained using ex pen during the day and crate for bedtime at night?

hope this makes sense and thanks!

it is keeping me up at night šŸ˜“

I have used both an x-pen and crates to train our pups, and I think the pups actually prefer the crate.Ā  Puppies sleep A LOT, and the crate seems to offer a cozy den-like atmosphere with less disturbance.Ā  When our Angus was in the x-pen, he would always wake up if someone walked by, and that meant he needed to go OUT almost immediately.Ā  He managed to "hold it" a lot longer in the crate because it was smaller, and he was more protected.Ā  The x-pen is also larger, and gives more room for a little one to pee and then wander over to sleep in a different part of the pen.

I would vote for crate training. But don't plan on leaving him there all the time...pups really need a lot of attention and interaction, so he should be out and monitored often too...Ā  I think eventually he will give you an idea of the schedule that works for him.Ā  Pups seem to have two speeds: "off" and "crazy."

Have fun! Pups are a lot of work, but so so much fun.Ā  Enjoy your bonding time, because it really does pay off big dividends when the dog gets older.

• Thanks 1

We always use the crate without the door attached inside an x pen. The puppies can walk around a bit, play with toys and go back into the crate if they want. Also we place the x pen close to the patio door so the pup can look outside at the birds, squirrels etc.

• Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of Ā one's soul remains unawakened. Ā -Ā Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ā 

Crate trained Angus and other dogs. All seemed to love them - their den and safe place. We travelled quite a bit but no problem for Angus he always had his crate (his home) with him in a strange place.Ā 

Never used for punishment.

Lived in a very small house with notĀ enough room for an xpen. Kept AngusĀ in a restricted area where I could see him with door shut or with baby gates across. I like those because as he got older I could move them to allow him more freedom. Also usedĀ a leash short or long.Ā 

As mentioned above puppies need a lotĀ of attention. So it would be good to have someone come and take him out and play with him a while if you are able to. The more you can be with him when young the closer your bond will be later. Hard work but well worth it.

Ā 

• Like 1