CairnTalk

CBD oil?

Kathryn

Oban has always had a real problem with fireworks and thunder: his trembles, whines, and cannot find a safe place to be.  Usually we take him into the basement TV room and turn the television onto women's basketball (he barks at men with beards, so we avoid the NBA).  If we stay there with him, usually all night, he will settle in eventually.  Of course, we never get a good night's sleep, and sometimes this can continue for days in a row.

In June, when there were riots near us, and in July, during the annual two-week-long fireworks, we used some calming drugs our vet had given us.  I don't like to medicate him, though, and of course we have to plan for the noise -- not always possible -- to ensure he takes them well before the noises start.

My cousin uses CBD oil for her dog, and she says this works effectively for him.  I went on-line to Chewy, In the Company of Dogs, etc., check out available products -- there are so many, and each offers a different purpose for its use.  Have any of you used any of the products?  Which ones?  And how to you use them?

My advice is to find an integrated veterinary clinic that deals both in traditional and alternative treatments. That way you would get the proper dose, quality and advice. https://www.ahvma.org

Cannabis is legal in Canada so we are fortunate enough to be able to purchase government inspected  CBD oil and the whoo hoo stuff. 😉 My DH takes CBD oil to help him sleep at night...and it works.

Edited by Sam I Am

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 1 month later...

Are you able to get Dorwest Herbs products in the US ?  I use Valerian compound by them, and also Valerian & Scullcap tablets by them.  There are probably very similar brands in the US and Canada though.  I have a Cairn who is epileptic after having a stroke 4 years ago, she can't have anti-seizure meds because of liver problems (she is 13 this year) so we use CBD and a mixture of the valerian to help her.  Over the years we have learned when a seizure is coming.

Jane

xxx

Thanks for that info, Jane2212 - I will check.  The fireworks were out on New Years Eve again, reminding me I have to look into possibilities...

• 1 month later...

My daughter and son-in-law's Staffordshire Terrier mix is terrified of fireworks, and they live a couple miles from an amusement park -- so fireworks are frequently a part of their lives. 

They bought the dog a Thunder Shirt (I'm sure they have them on Amazon), and it works GREAT.  The shirt swaddles the dog tightly and makes him feel secure.  BUT it won't work on the first day; you have to get the shirt ahead of time and put it on him when he's at his happiest -- maybe just after a good long hike when he's happy and tired.  Put the shirt on him, cuddle him, let him feel super-secure for 30 minutes or so.  Do this occasionally, and he will associate the feeling of the shirt with security.  Then before thunder or fireworks, put the shirt on him AHEAD OF TIME, and he will be calmer. 

Jane, Spike is only about a year and a half, and has multiple symptoms of a seizure disorder-- including one full-on seizure last week.  We've got a neuro appointment Friday, this week, we've just seen some fly snapping, otherwise he's a very healthy and happy Cairn X.

I'm watching for the prodromal symptoms of a seizure-- I know the fly snapping is definitely a symptom, but it doesn't indicate a seizure is coming on.  (We are a bit more careful when he does that.)  Just curious, were there specific behaviors you noticed that preceded a seizure?

I'm hoping we can try CBD oil first.  I think the stuff is incredible, though what I use is a cannabis oil 10:1 or 4:1 CBD/THC with a full terpene profile, which I doubt you can get in the UK (though my friend in London has had good luck with some products he can get there.)

Turns out it's extremely expensive to use weed if you don't want any mood-altering effects, or only the most subtle ones!  I always avoided Valerian because I thought it was tough on the liver, but may be different for dogs.