CairnTalk

Do cairns hate being picked up

DogsSmarterThanMe

Cairns generally are busy little dogs, and my experience is that if you interrupt that busy-ness, they will grumble if you pick them up.  That said, both of mine willingly jump into my lap and will stay there for long periods happily, so I think they like being held when it is their idea...

• Like 2

Agree with both above. Cairns love to snuggle - when they want it. No need to hold me sir/madam. I can jump or climb to pretty much anywhere I want to go. 

Ditto here also with the above comments. 

6DAFB424-7959-4483-BC5D-CFCB64AE1E13.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Our trainer said that often little dogs are ‘head shy’ because they do get picked up and mauled by people all of the time. They do require some help to trust that people don’t always want to pick them up and just want to pet them.  They are just so irresistible, it’s hard!

Mine will let me pick them up and cuddle for about 1 minute...then can't wait to get down!!! They do love to kiss and lick when approached on the couch or chair and will lay next to me or on my lap on their terms only!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2020 at 3:24 PM, Pepper Bug's Mom said:

Mine will let me pick them up and cuddle for about 1 minute...then can't wait to get down!!! 

Ditto!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Ditto hear also often accompanied with a low growl (harmless but voicing his opinion). 😉

• Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

They tolerate being picked up but not for long....when Brodie is out cold on the couch be careful if you disturb him! Wow does he make a lot of noise but no biting!  All bark and no bite!

Pepper's Mom

Ok so Dixie is pure normal cairn. I find low growl amusing...wish I could do that lol!  It would be so useful in so many situations 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

The dog I just lost was blind from birth, and he DESPISED being picked up.  I think it made him feel "out of control" because he couldn't see how far up he was going.  I wonder if small dogs tend towards this in general because they are SO FAR UP /might bring on the "out of control" feeling.

I’m so sorry for your loss!  I take your point. I’m learning that Cairns always have to feel like they’re the boss. Alpha me? Lol!

Ruby has a low growl for happy, excited, and mad.... it’s hard to tell sometimes what is happening. But people and other dogs don’t know what to think. She acts like she’s a 90lb Rottweiler sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Otis will jump up on my chair when he feels like it! He really doesn’t like being held, sometimes I’ll just grab him and kiss him and he’ll do that low growl thing LOL! But that’s too bad! They come to you for affection when they want to. He sleeps with me and he’s fine with that although he does hog the bed 99% of the time..They really are not a cuddly affectionate dog I always tell people he’s just like a cat; affection on their terms😂😂The picture on this it is mad, sulking face😂Do not like to hear the word no or when you scold them.

F235A7DF-E425-4C55-B196-03BC36B59978.jpeg

Edited by Otis’s Mom
spelling
  • Like 4

Very true, Brad. It reminds me of a remark I overheard, (at Westminster, of all places)...”That’s SO like a cairn!”😀

• Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Otis’s mum...what is Sam doing in your house? 🤣

• Haha 1

No one sulks like a Cairn!  And their feelings are easily bruised but the wagging tail when you forgive them!

• 2 months later...

Please forgive me , I didn’t get any of these notifications😳 I have to check my settings! It seems so funny because after I posted shortly after Odie aka Otis went for his physical and he did really well, and it’s now the middle of May and I just brought him back from the vets last Thursday and he has yeast infections in both ears and they are caused by allergies which I should’ve picked up on earlier because he gets these infections in the spring and sneezes😫so now he is on allergy medication once a month, and did have the allergy shot while he was at the vets. I just don’t want to bring him back every month to get a shot and he’s easy to give pills to. No reaction to anything he’s doing really well now. I don’t know about anybody else but the medication is very expensive per month but thus saying that we love our pups❤️ I just wanted to pass this information or just in case anyone else is having an issue with their ears in the spring/summer/fall months.

Edited by Otis’s Mom