CairnTalk

IVDD - Spinal Problems Common?

VoodooWeasel

Hi there! First time poster.

I have a 5 year old Cairn, Murphy, who has ongoing spinal problems. Starting two years ago he had some soreness on his hind end. Then, last summer he lost use of his hind legs. Cue vet visits every other day, three different clinics, all telling me to wait and see and that most dogs bounce back after a few weeks. Finally, one of the vets flat out told me "Why didn't you get surgery for him sooner?"

Anyway, the next day Murphy received spinal surgery to reduce pressure on his spine. (I can't remember the exact name but they created a window to relieve pressure on the cord). He was given a 40% to walk again because I "waited so long". Yes, I'm still salty about that.

It took 6 months but he finally started walking again on his own around December. It was the best Christmas present I could have had. But it's been tough. He doesn't have a log of strength in his back legs. He can shuffle them forward, but can't lift them. He can't jump or step up stairs or scratch behind his ears. When he goes on walks more than a few blocks, it has to be with a doggy wheelchair or he'll start dragging his hind legs again.

He SEEMS to be a happy dog. Now that he can use his tail, it's up and he's constantly wagging and bright eyed. But he has phases where he will become sore and lose control of his legs again. It's hard because he's so young still. I guess my question is, is this common with Carin Terriers? The vets guessed it was IVDD since he didn't have any major injury before that, and they said it was genetic.

I love my dog, and someday I would like to get another Cairn so I can have a walking buddy. (Murphy is a super slow walker for obvious reasons.) But... frankly I'm not sure I can go through this again with another dog. Having to squeeze the pee out of your best buddy and stimulate him to poop for weeks until he can do it on his own again is... rough.

Has anyone else had IVDD or other spinal problems with your dog, and what have you done?   He's been on swimming PT, steroids, and the surgery. Am not willing to try acupuncture or healing crystals. (Why yes, those have been suggested. I live in Oregon.) That ship might have sailed since the original surgery was 18 months ago, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Edited by VoodooWeasel
clarification

It's heartbreaking to read what Murphy and you are going through and I'm impressed with all the medical interventions you've made for him. I have no idea if IVDD is common and can only say that in almost 15 years with Cairns, reading about the breed on this site and elsewhere, and talking to other dog owners, the topic never came up, so I assume it is not a common ailment, but don't know for sure.

As to whether any of us have had cairns with spinal problems, Carrington developed a degenerative spinal nerve disorder that affected is rear legs and impacted his ability to walk, etc., but that was not until his 15th year. Unlike Murphy, there was no pressure or pain on the cord or spine, only weakness. Like you, I resorted to a number of medical interventions, but surgery was not an appropriate option. As to acupuncture, Although I am not a proponent, I tried it for Carrington anyway because we had few choices. Also, some dogs (and uprights) get positive results. Finally, there is no placebo effect with dogs...It either works, or it doesn't.

VoodooWeasel, you are an inspiration and an example of the best of us, for the measures you've taken for the dog you love. I can only hope that he contiues to be happy, with bright eyes and with his tail up and wagging constantly for a long time!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Breaks my heart reading your journey with Murphy. What a dedicated  and loving owner you are. 💕🐾🐾

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I'm very sorry to hear about your and Murphy's travails. :( I have not encountered this particular issue with regards to Cairns.

We also live in Oregon and took one of our elderly boys who was Sundowning pretty bad (he was  3 weeks shy of 17) for acupuncture in an effort to address his Sundowning (severe anxiety at night). All I can say is he left that office each week with a bounce in his step that lasted for days. He also had a testicular mass (slow growing) and ultimately a bleeding liver mass took him, but acupuncture was the highlight of his week for a while. 

I tried it myself a few times for chronic tendinitis but can't say that it did anything for me though. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club