CairnTalk

New - Kind of

Kate

I have been a member of this forum for quite a long time.  My last Cairn passed in 2017.  Well we are welcoming a new puppy to our family right after Christmas.  I haven't had a puppy for a really long time.  I'm trying to get ready to welcome her to our home.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the types of beds, carriers, chewies, toys, etc.  Thanks.  I am so excited I can hardly wait!!!

• Like 1

Prepare yourself for whirlwind of excitement! But you know doubt know all about that already....puppies love them, but boy they are a lot of work! When Jock died at 13 yrs of age we had totally forgotten this...we remembered real quickly when Sam arrived.🌪🌪 

Four  sets of reading glasses gone in one year, four trips to the vet to induce vomiting due to swallowing everything in site, and the list goes on. But it’s all worth it!  My suggestion is that what ever toy, bedding etc you give your pup, supervise, supervise. I make  my own treats.I don’t trust a lot of them on the market as a lot of them are  from China, with a history of toxic items in them. Pigs ear , chews made out of hide are full of bad ingredients and chemicals. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thanks Sam I Am - I know I'm in for a ride, especially the first year.  But that is OK.  We are retired this time and have all day to work with her. All of my other dogs had to stay at home while I was at work.  Hopefully this time it will be much easier.  I also wanted to inquire if anyone has pet insurance and if I could get some ideas about that; pro or con. 

Crate training immediately!!!  Brodie loves his little cave and sleeps many times during the day in it!  One crate in the family room and another one at the base of our bed.  

Yes on the Pet Insurance - we have Pet Plan - especially if these guys get an obstruction, etc.  Get it immediately so no pre-existing conditions.

• Like 2

Pepper's Mom

We have had pet insurance for eight years and would not be without it. It’s paid for itself and beyond that gives me total peace of mind knowing I never have to make that financial decision of not being able to afford the thousands it can cost given that one of the 24 hrs specialty and emergency clinic in Edmonton have all the equipment for an animal that our human hospitals have. MRI, CT scans, and many other sophisticated equipment that cost big$$$$. Example. Our Scottish Terrier, 8yrs old,  was diagnosed with a condition called Sick Sinus Syndrome, simply put her heart beat is irregular which makes anesthetic impossible as her heart would stop. She had a slab fracture of one of her big molars 🦷 and needed it extracted, which of course required anesthetic, which without a licensed animal cardiologist would kill her. Rosie, the Scottie, had to be externally paced to make sure that her heart did not stop during the procedure. She sailed through the extraction and it cost $3000. The insurance paid 90% of the cost minus my deductible. At the moment she has no symptoms and hopefully will live out her life without having to have her outfitted with a pacemaker. However if the time comes and she will require a pacemaker $10,000-15,000 I won’t hesitate. Our insurance company, Trupanion has been an amazing  and they cover items and procedures like this. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

AH, the joy and terror of a Cairn puppy!!!

We have a Medium wire folding crate for 3 yr old Katie (Midwest Folding Dog Crate, 30" L X 19" W X 21" H).

We have had this for years and although it seems "large" for a Cairn, it is roomy. Used it from the first day for Katie, She sleeps in it at night and when we leave the house. She gets a stuffed Kong when we leave. Happy dog! For travel we have a portable folding soft crate. As a puppy we also had a puppy playpen. 

Since your pup won't come until 2021, you have plenty of time to safety condition your house. Remember that all things from the 2 foot floor level  are deemed potential treats or chew toys.

I suggest a stick vacuum charged and ready.  We still use one almost daily. Never know when you just might drop a paperclip or used staple!

We have Trupanion Insurance. Signed up for it after a $3,300 emergency vet bill for swallowing tiny nails.(2018)

We have had two other emergency visits but didn't meet our $700 deductible. (2019 and 2020). Something she ate?, but because of her history of eating anything, she has to have xrays before treatment.  These visit $600 each. Still a mystery as to what caused upset stomachs.

Toys, anything squeaky, balls, small furry animals etc. All my dogs have been individualistic as to favorite toys.

One type that Katie likes are the ones that dispenses treats when you roll them around.

Best to you!

Enjoy, enjoy enjoy!

Bes sure to update us often.

Dianne

• Like 2

Just an additional note regarding Trupanion. You set your own deductible ...what ever you feel comfortable with. Ours is $200 for Sam (done when he was a pup and we never raised it) Rosie’s deductible we set at $350. It’s not written in stone and can be changed.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - one additional thing.  When we pick her up we will be on our way to "winter South - we are Winter Texans" in an RV.  So that makes for additional planning  but I think it will all work out fine.  These pups are smart  and will adapt.  I figure in a camper there will be less chance of an "accident".  Smaller space plus we spend lots of time outside.  I think we will get a soft sided crate for the truck that will also work as a crate in our RV.  She will be little over the winter so I'm hoping I'm on the right track.

I will check out the insurance companies you mentioned.  Again,  thanks!

Can't really speak to insurance as too expensive for us. Kept a savings account for doggy needs. 

Prep for pup

Learn to keep everything put away from above tabletop level. Cairns are nimble and athletic and great climbers. I'm not a tidy person naturally but I learned fast. Get xpen with high sides like for big dog. As said above get a crate. Pup will learn to love crate if it is not used for punishment. 

Get harness and/or collar and long and short leash. Attach leash and collar/harness and keep pup close to you. Easier to step on leash quickly than bend down to catch pup. Never ever let pup out of your sight! Long leash good for wide open spaces walks.

Different toys for different dogs. Most toys can been torn apart by those huge cairn teeth. 

I travelled quite a bit with Angus. His folding crate was home away from home wherever we went. He loved going anywhere.

Good luck and have fun with new buddy!