CairnTalk

Is this pup' healthy? Is it a Cairn?

windh2o

Hello-
We are considering purchasing this puppy. However, we are concerned it is not a Cairn Terrier. We are okay with a mix but the puppy has almost no hair on its tail or ears. Also, there is a strange strip down its spine from head to tail with very very short hair. Immediately adjacent to this strip is fluffy long hair. (Please see photo).
We noticed his ears are floppy which we understand this a pretty good sign it's not a Cairn Terrier.
Are the above characteristics a sign of health problems?
Thank you in advance for your help!!!!!

IMG_9490.jpg

Edited by windh2o
added photo

I find just about any pup or dog irresistible, including the one in your pic. Clearly, there is something that appeals to you, which is good, but also causes you some concern, which is understandable. I hope you would be allowed to have a vet check him out before claiming him. Hopefully, that would resolve the issue. Good luck!

P.S. My uneducated guess is that there is some cairn in the mix, in addition to ...???🙂

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Very cute ...as all puppies are. There might be  terrier mix in this pup but is not a purebred Cairn and hopefully someone is not trying to sell you a line that he is. Like Sanford suggested check that the pup is healthy and  has had the start of his vaccinations  and has been given appropriate worming medication. Very important as unvaccinated pups are very vulnerable. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies!

Unfortunately, the person selling the puppy was misrepresenting it as purebred Cairn Terrier with an asking price of $1,400. This is obviously unethical and should be enough to walk away.  But this is easier said than done because the fact remains we really liked the guy purebred or not. If the seller would agree to the vet check AND accept significantly less money we may still may purchase the puppy.  I am not naive enough to think there is much of a chance the seller would agree to a lesser price after being called out on her deception. How disappointing. Anyway, thanks again! 

Wow! It’s a shame that the seller was so dishonest. I always come to this site as a reassuring refuge from the cares of the world, but sadly, even here, bad news can intrude. Good for you for your due diligence in not falling for a scam. I would be angry with the dishonest seller, but maybe she was innocently ignorant... Many folks know nothing at all about the breed. Perhaps approaching her in a reasonable manner could persuade her to bring the price way, way down. I hope so for your sake.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

8 minutes ago, sanford said:

Wow! It’s a shame that the seller was so dishonest. I always come to this site as a reassuring refuge from the cares of the world, but sadly, even here, bad news can intrude. Good for you for your due diligence in not falling for a scam. I would be angry with the dishonest seller, but maybe she was innocently ignorant... Many folks know nothing at all about the breed. Perhaps approaching her in a reasonable manner could persuade her to bring the price way, way down. I hope so for your sake.

Part of me does think she is being naive. Were it not for the ears and the coloring, IMHO it looks like a purebred.

I am afraid I am far to jaded to think for one moment she is innocent. 😡 There are so many puppy mills out there that ask outrageous prices for what is basically a mutt.....now there is nothing bad about a mixed breed dog, but not at the price tag of a registered breed price!  If you have your heart set on a purebred registered Cairn contact the closest breeder registered with the American Kennel Club, if you want a pup like the one in your post why not head down to your local humane society and give a little guy a good home....at a way less price tag vaccinations and worming included. I have attached  a few pics of Sam as a pup...a registered purebred Cairn. They do come in different colours also.

5D9043DD-1996-43D4-903B-EC02B41816B7.jpeg

ED1181AB-5011-4F84-88D2-93F9A24429E9.jpeg

Edited by Sam I Am

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 4 months later...

what happened with this? obviously not a cairn, and not something you should have to pay $`1400 for. but a really irresistable dog, and i could easily see a good portion of cairn in there --1/4 if not half. i have had the experience of paying high ransom for a dog --sometimes it is the only thing to do if you want to spring the dog. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree w/PK.  No one wants to support puppy mills, but what happens to those dogs if no one purchases them?  No easy answers.

This thread is a couple of weeks old, but I wonder what happened, too.  That little guy has white feet like Spike!

As for the expense, you never know.  Spike is a rescue Cairn X, but he may cost us close to 5K in the first year he's with us due to the cost of a neurological workup!