CairnTalk

Over Stimulated anyone?

Monia

My girl is now 5ish (rescued her at 2ish).  About every 6mths she has a bout of temper tantrums.  I've made sure that I'm consistent with her, meals, exercise, and rules.  She no longer sleeps with me, and is fed AFTER I've eaten.  Her tantrums are getting worse.  I had her on a anti anxiety medication and switched her to cbd tincture,  NO change.  She wears a leed in the house at all times when I'm home so that I'm able to control her in the event she charges and attacks.  Yes, it's that bad.  This week she bit the inside of my thigh, broke the skin, and i'm bruised and swollen.  I am her 3rd home (that I know of), and i REFUSE to abandon her.  I've come to realize that she is OVER stimulated.  I thought she needed more exercise, but it's the OPPOSITE.   when i take out the thunder shirt, she hides in her kennel and if think she will allow me to take her out. . . ur CRAZY.  I have to turn the cage upside down to get her out and then the attack starts.  

We have done training classes, and I make her work for her toys / treats.  she bit me this week cause i was making her work for her supper.  I have since then started feeding her smaller portions 3 x / day.  someone please provide me with out of the box suggestions.  this week I've also started calming training with her. . . .  

has ANYONE experienced this? 

• Like 1

No experience with this except to say that unfortunately, turning the crate upside down will probably agitate most cairns even further and escalate misbehavior. (I realize you are at your wits end and I’m not trying to blame you). As you might have read on this site, cairns seem to be hard wired to meet resistance with resistance. They do not back down! As a long shot, I would ask if you’ve reported this behavior to the vet to check out lab tests/blood work/teeth for anything organically wrong or for pain. Perhaps a 2nd opinion from another vet? ($$$!).. Sorry I can’t offer more. I appreciate your commitment and devotion and hope to read here that you found  a resolution!

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hi Sanford:

You are absolutely correct, turning her crate upside down was not an action plan.  that was more of an instinct...not a good one at that.  not a proud moment.  

She has had a complete check up, and all results were positive.  As I mentioned, the vet had prescribed medication.  I thought that would be needed for winter only as I live in Atlantic Canada (do I need to say more).  I did purchase a treadmill and she would get exercise that way, still not the same but it was better than nothing.  When the spring arrived, I SLOWLY weaned her off her meds.  she is now on CBD as i didn't want to put chemicals in her little body again.    

Your right, I should get a 2nd opinion.  The vet clinics are now open.  Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, they are muchly appreciated.  

• Like 1

Have you contacted the rescue organization that gave you your Cairn?

When I was fostering Westies for our Westie club's Rescues, I had a male Westie that was very  "intense" . Although he was not a biter, he was challenging.  His behavior lead him to be relinquished to the the club's rescue group. The club arranged for me to take him to a vet who specialized in behavior problems. We met for about an hour. With her observation and questions she was able to give me a treatment plan. We followed the plan for about 2 weeks and were able to place him in a great forever home. The club paid for the consultation.

Check it out... 

Best of luck!

• Like 2

May I suggest a veterinary practitioner that does integrative veterinary medicine. I checked and there are 3 practices in New Brunswick.  http://www.civtedu.org/new-brunswick/

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hi Diane:

I contacted the rescue organization, and they suggested training classes.  I informed them that I had done so already, and that was about the end of the conversation.  

SAM I AM:

That is a great suggestion.  I thank you for the list, I know of the vet clinic in Moncton.  I have noticed that if she is on certain proteins for too long, she is moody.  I've accepted the fact that she will be on some type of medication for the rest of her life.  I think this is the only thing that will keep her calm :(.  I'm just NOT willing to go through the alternative.  She has obviously had a stressful past (traumatized somehow), and she deserves to be happy and feel safe.  I need to find a way to make her feel safe so that she doesn't continue having outburst and bite me. 

thank you all for your input, understanding, and suggestions.

• Like 1

first, I admire you and are with you all the way for your loyalty to your girl. they are worth it. I had a dog who was very problematic all through his youth, and even when grown would have the occasional tantrum; I think a majority of cairns may vulnerable to tantrums well into adulthood.

it should not be the case that as you do all the right things in terms of training, her tantrums get worse. that really sticks with me. sounds like a medical issue, possibly metabolic. sam's suggestion is great.   she needs a full work up (with a vet who will understand that she is not at her best right now). some conditions induce depression and hypersensitivity, which could account for her apparently erratic behaviors. since you say she has been on an anti-anxiety med, she might have a paradoxical reaction. was she weaned off or did it just discontinue? the vet needs to look at that closely and either suggest an alternative or wean her off. mismatched medications cause all kinds of havoc. 

it really sounds more medical than behavioral at this point. clearly she isn't overtly ill, which suggests something that can be managed. we are pulling for the both of you.

by the way, she is an uncommonly beautiful dog. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Re your prediction that she will be on some sort of meds for life: You really cannot know that. My own (admittedly) limited experience with 2 cairns is that they, and their needs change over the years in many ways... physically, emotionally, medically, etc. 

if Ruffy is any example, he had some absolutely crazy, manic triggers as a youngster that threw me into a panic. Without my realizing it, they went away as he matured.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

pkcrossley:

Thank You for your positive comment :)

I weaned her off slowly, and didnt' start the cbd for approx 4-6 after.  The reason I weaned her off is because it was spring and I was able to take her out for exercise.  My girl is prob a cross breed as she is only 6lbs., so winters in eastern Canada are VERY cold and messy.  I would put her on the tread mill so that she didn't have any pent up energy.  After approx 4-6wks her aggression/anxiety was increasing, and i felt that she was not living her best life like this.  That's when I started the cbc, thinking that I would rather have something organic than adding chemicals to her little body.  

• Like 1

Sanford:

I agree that things change all the time.  What age did your cairn mature?  Lexi is approx 5 years old now.

I never took note of the age when Ruffy started to change and not be so reactive, so I can only guess... perhaps at 7 or 8? Admittedly, a very delayed maturity and maybe not too helpful for you as you are experiencing this with her at 5.😟

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

to me she doesn't look like a cross. 6 lbs is really small for a cairn, but 9 or 10 lbs is common. if she is hyperactive, she could be underweight. has she been tested for hyperthyroidism? I'm thinking something metabolic that would cause a paradoxical reaction to the meds.

I agree with everybody else, you can't make assumptions she will always need meds. with all dogs things can change sharply. cairns the same. on her blood panels, is everything in range?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on Lex, her blood work came back normal.  This is great news.  I took her to the holistic vet, and we r trying the calm diet.  She's scratching a bit but it's only been a few days.  Thank you all for ur suggestions.

• Like 2