CairnTalk

Hello from Houston

Mason41290

Hello,

My wife and I got our baby Gidget about two weeks ago and are excited to find this forum! She is 12 weeks old at this point and training is going well so far. We are looking forward to reading the other topics to learn more tips from fellow owners. We have a 5 yr old morkie that hasn’t quite warmed up to the puppy yet, anyone have any tips that may help her warm up?

9E74D485-EBD0-4CA8-96B9-131BD3D7616C.jpeg

C7E1F2C3-5D2F-47C4-957C-8975881C0B22.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome to this site! Gidget is a beauty... You are in for fun times ahead!

I can’t give you advice re “sibling rivalry”, but I’m sure others will be glad to help...

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hello Gidget. You look like you are ready for anything! I see those sharp intelligent cairn eyes! 

As for Gidget and your morkie. Time will sort things out. As we know you can't force relations ships. No doubt your morkie is a bit upset at new cute pup arriving. I think I would make sure that you spend time with morkie separate from the pup. She needs to be reassured that you love her still. After all she's been the special one and now she has to share.

Good luck with her in the lively times ahead. 

• Thanks 1

Hi back at you from Alberta 🇨🇦. Gidgit is adorable...you are in for a life time of fun. When we brought Sam home Rosie our Scottie, five at the time, did not appreciate this crazy little Tasmanian whirlwind. For a few months I was on alert as she did get a bit carried away disciplining Sam,  but as Sam grew older and Rosie decided this new kid was tolerable things settled down. My advice is to let them sort it out but if it looks like it is heating up, step in and let them know you are the boss. Cairns are incredibly smart and will try to take over the whole household so you have to let them know you run this show. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

OH my...little heartthrob.  What I would give to cuddle her up and give her a good sniff! Puppies smell so warm and wonderful. Love that black mask over the blond -- our Angus had a little black mug when we got him as a pup, and he has kept it as an adult (though now he looks like completely wild and ungroomed...welcome to Sheltering in Place without a groomer present).

Everyone here loves puppies, loves talking about cairns, and loves seeing and posting photos.  We're glad you stopped by and hope you show up often!

(PS - you are welcome to join our ZOOM ROOM chat this upcoming Saturday, noon CDT -- check under "Clubs.)

Holy Moley, Miss Bridget!    She is simply gorgeous!  The "morkie" will be lured by Cairn charm.  Puppies seem to enjoy learning the ropes. It's happened in our household with many nonhumans!  Congrats!

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Who is ?? I flinch just remembering "puppy play". Just help Penny find something else for Gidget's sharp teeth to chew - like in the pic.

They are going to be fine. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update, Penny the Morkie and Gidget are now best buddies and play all day long! Penny (6 yrs old) is acting like a puppy again they are currently playing tug of war with a dragon stuffed kong toy. Hope she enjoys it while she’s still the bigger dog.

8A3DE806-7F54-4607-80E6-522A03CD516D.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...