CairnTalk

Sampson- 8 Yrs old Stage 4+ Kidney Failure- Time is Short

zydeking

Very Sad- My little Buddy Sampson(a rescue from a local shelter) was born with Kidney dysplasia.(deformed or compromised?)  Long story. Several years ago after it was discovered the vet said that Sampson wouldn't show symptoms until kidney function was @25%. Recently Sampson started getting even more finicky with his eating habits and then not eating at all. Lethargy followed closely and a blood test/urinalysis/fecal test confirmed advance Stage 4 Kidney failure. His BUN is 267, Creatinine is 15.3, and Phosphorous is 11.9. I don't know how he's still alive with these numbers. He hasn't eaten in two days but occasionally drinks his water. We've tried wet dog food, boiled chicken, roast beef, low protein. My vet suggested two days of IV fluid therapy and then more testing, but a second vet said that with those numbers that it's unlikely to help at all or very little to prolong his life. I've used this and lots of other websites to learn as much as I can to make informed decisions but would appreciate any help. Sampson has so much life in him and it's so sad to see this happening to him. He is such a joy and has had a really happy life up to this point. Thanks

Edited by zydeking

I am curious to know how old Sampson is and how long you've had him, but regardless, my heart goes out to you. I can only try to imagine the helpless, overwhelming sadness you must feel. It's hard to find consolation at such a time,  but I hope that even in a small way it helps to ease your grief knowing that you provided a secure life and a loving home for your adored buddy... and that you'll be with him to the end.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks. Sampson is only 8 yrs old and so full of life.  Am going to speak with his Vet this morning and hope that she can give me some hope that IV fluid therapy will get him back to eating again if only for a little while. An educated guess from his lifetime vet willl help me feel better about how to proceed. His quality of life is going down fast. 

Edited by zydeking

Hopefully the fluids will help perk Sampson up briefly and give you a little more time to explore with your vet and feel comfortable that you know where he is on his journey, and which next fork is the one to take.  Either fork, you're doing it with and for love.  

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I'm so sorry you are in this situation but very comforted that Sampson has had you as a support, and has you now. for dogs, that is the whole thing --to be loved. in humans as well as dogs, kidneys slowly adjust to low-level function (hence Sampson is still going with minimal function). there are supportive therapies, as you have discovered, and every individual will have his own path --many outlasting predictions, some not. kidney disease if properly supported is not particularly painful. in the last stages it is a matter of waste products overwhelming the system, with increasing torpor. I personally can understand a vet saying that supportive therapies will not effect a cure --they certainly will not-- but I can't understand recommending against hydration and other supportive therapies. they are not particularly painful, provide from modest to very significant comfort to the dog, and help quality of life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the caring and supportive comments. Sampson is at the Vet getting IV fluids on a day by day basis, adjusting the treatment according to his response to the therapy. His Vet has been very straitforward, caring and helpful. He is in good hands.

• Like 4

It is tough for Sampson but he is a lucky fellow being with you. It is tough for you but you are lucky also having saved him and been able to care for him. Love each other for as long as you are allowed. 

• Like 1

I am heartbroken to say that Sampson has gone to doggy heaven. He was like a star that shone brighly but left us way too soon. I was honored to be able to adopt him and  love him for 6 years. Thanks for all of the supportive and helpful comments. 

• Sad 1

oh my I'm so sorry. I hope you can be proud of yourself and of Sampson, the two of you did great. I understand where you are right now. he was blessed to have you. 

Sampson had the best owner he could ever have. It’s the sad part of owning a dog and that we do lose them and often too soon. 💕

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie