CairnTalk

Need bootie recommendations

remltr

Sassy and I will most likely be moving to southern Nevada in the next couple months. It is going to be hot there in the summer months. Sassy has never worn booties and seeing as she is 15 years old plus it is going to be a necessity. So I am looking for recommendations for ones that are comfortable and easy to put on. Hopefully she will take to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by remltr

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I found the best and cheapest boots are the ones I make myself. The material I use is felt and use Velcro to fasten them. It takes a short time to run them up on the sewing machine, they wash great and are nice and soft. I dislike the boots one can buy that have hard soles. Both our dogs dislike the rigid soled store bought books.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Stella was/is beginning to have a lot of problems staying upright so I went looking for traction boots. After a dismal experience with a cheap pair I bought on Amazon I searched this very forum and found several recommendations for UltraPaws. For our use the CozyPaws looked ideal and indeed they have been. These particular ones are a nitrile-dipped fleece so both flexible and grippy. I will admit that sized to fit they are non-trivial to put on and much easier if you have a helper. I can see why people give up trying, although I found I can do it alone with Stella on a grooming table if I am slow and patient. Only half of which I am any good at :) 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

I found the best and cheapest boots are the ones I make myself. The material I use is felt and use Velcro to fasten them. It takes a short time to run them up on the sewing machine, they wash great and are nice and soft. I dislike the boots one can buy that have hard soles. Both our dogs dislike the rigid soled store bought books.

Unfortunately for me, I am not a seamstress nor do I have a sewing machine. Thanks for the info though.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

19 minutes ago, bradl said:

Stella was/is beginning to have a lot of problems staying upright so I went looking for traction boots. After a dismal experience with a cheap pair I bought on Amazon I searched this very forum and found several recommendations for UltraPaws. For our use the CozyPaws looked ideal and indeed they have been. These particular ones are a nitrile-dipped fleece so both flexible and grippy. I will admit that sized to fit they are non-trivial to put on and much easier if you have a helper. I can see why people give up trying, although I found I can do it alone with Stella on a grooming table if I am slow and patient. Only half of which I am any good at :) 

What size did you order?

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

XP (Extra Petite).  It's possible the sizing chart may vary depending on the style (there are several, depending on intended use). I used a caliper to measure Stella's back feet. For our purpose having two on the "drive wheels" seems to do the trick.

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B071GZV94F&Format=ir?t=rbn-20&language=en_US&l=li1&o=1&a=B

IMG_1445.jpeg

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

They look great Brad, however just checked on amazon.ca..........yikes it would cost me $57 to purchase one pair  and get them to Alberta.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 9 months later...

I found the above old post from a year ago and it's probably still relevant now that winter has set in, so here is my 2 cents worth. The inexpensive PAWZ boots shown belowIMG_2659.thumb.JPG.796919cf9880ecf7fb4c5ed2f2b5a1c8.JPG have worked very well for both my cairns re protection from salted sidewalks, but not for warmth or traction. Although they are available in many stores, I have stocked up because whenever snow is forecast here in the city, the supplies run out. They can be a challenge to put on, depending on whether your cairn cooperates or not. I previously tried some easier fabric boots with velcro closures, but these would tend to slip off and get lost and I always see those casualties abandoned, lying on the street. The package comes with convenient graphic templates for sizing your dog's paws. (Ruffy is 20 lbs. and his size is "Small").

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Otis refuses to wear a coat never mind booties🥺 I live in New England it’s cold and hot in the summer, I put mushers on him. I have been using that since he was a puppy. We walk a minimum of 4 miles a day, weather permitting of course. It also keep his pads soft and not dry. Good luck and God bless!

EAC3E167-6A16-4CC7-A865-74BFFEDB8B4B.jpeg