theCairnFarm

Hello from South Carolina👋

theCairnFarm

Hi! 

My name is Jenn and I am brand new here!  My family and I live on a farm in South Carolina.  I have 2 daughters, 15 and 12, and a husband who is an active duty army officer.  We have 4 cairns.  Yep, you read that right, 4!  It started innocently enough.  I had always wanted a terrier, specifically a Jack Russell.  My husband said as soon as we buy a house you can get your terrier, just anything but a Jack.  So eventually we found a farm we liked and I decided on a cairn terrier.  Despite the LARGE amount of research I did on the breed nothing prepared me for a terrier puppy! Lol! We got Rylee probably about a month after we moved in and he was the naughtiest puppy I’ve ever had.  I was hooked.  In total we now have 4 cairns. Rylee(male) turns 4 in June.  Elsa is 3. Hudson is 2 and CJ is 10 months old.  They are all very different.  Nice to meet y’all! 

sanford

Wow! The phrase: “An embarrassment of riches” was invented just 4 U!😀

Edited by sanford

theCairnFarm

Anybody else notice my profile pic is sideways? Not sure why it turned out that way.....any ideas as to how to fix it? 

bradl

One way photos end up sideways can be if a photo was taken vertically, which happens sometimes when using a phone as a camera. I rotated it for you; hope you don't mind.

If it happens with other photos, try rotating them before uploading (it may feel odd if you end up uploading a sideways photo in order for it to end up right side up :P )

Kathryn

Welcome, Jenn. I have 2 cairns and sometimes wish I could handle 3  - but I know my limitations! We just bought a king-size bed so both dogs could sleep with us.. not sure what I would need for four...

Have any photos of that wild bunch?

Welcome to a fun group.

theCairnFarm

Adding some pics now! This first one is Rylee:) Still trying to manage my way around the site👍

370149DE-4526-4193-8066-D78D4326B58A.jpeg

theCairnFarm

This is Elsa 

F01681D8-CC6D-4BD4-A74C-71880EAE834B.jpeg

theCairnFarm
26 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

Welcome, Jenn. I have 2 cairns and sometimes wish I could handle 3  - but I know my limitations! We just bought a king-size bed so both dogs could sleep with us.. not sure what I would need for four...

Have any photos of that wild bunch?

Welcome to a fun group.

Ok I’ll be super honest, I WISH my cairns slept in our bed but they all sleep in their own crates.  I’ve thought about trying Rylee in the bed, now that he is maturing and settling a little.  I only have a queen size so definitely no way all 4 are getting in unless I relocate the husband! 🤔🤣

theCairnFarm
42 minutes ago, bradl said:

One way photos end up sideways can be if a photo was taken vertically, which happens sometimes when using a phone as a camera. I rotated it for you; hope you don't mind.

If it happens with other photos, try rotating them before uploading (it may feel odd if you end up uploading a sideways photo in order for it to end up right side up :P )

I don’t mind at all, thank you! I did try to rotate it first and then upload but didn’t work.  I will just have to take more sideways pics! 🤪

sanford
32 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

wish I could handle 3 ... not sure what I would need for four...

...:w00t:Heavy-duty tranquilizers? A rubber room? A straight jacket? Prayer?:pray:

bradl
38 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

not sure what I would need for four

A two-dog rule. 🙂 Seniority has its perks.

tlwtheq

Welcome to you and your family, Jenn.  Yep, our Cairn children are challenging but sooooo worth it!.  I remember South Carolina fondly as most of my Dad's side of the family were in South Carolina and Georgia.  We used to visit Uncle Charlie, Aunt Jeanette and my cousins in Summerville.  We rode horses, played with farm animals and walked through sugar cane fields.  Lovely place to be.  Oh, and when the whole extended family was there we used to hand-churn ice cream.

Edited by tlwtheq
Additional info.

theCairnFarm
13 minutes ago, tlwtheq said:

Welcome to you and your family, Jenn.  Yep, our Cairn children are challenging but sooooo worth it!.  I remember South Carolina fondly as most of my Dad's side of the family were in South Carolina and Georgia.  We used to visit Uncle Charlie, Aunt Jeanette and my cousins in Summerville.  We rode horses, played with farm animals and walked through sugar cane fields.  Lovely place to be.  Oh, and when the whole extended family was there we used to hand-churn ice cream.

We live about 100 miles from Summerville! I was born in Cheraw but moved to Georgia as a baby, and was raised on Jekyll Island.  We have horses and are very active with them in the local farm community.  I love the area.  The summers just about kill me with the heat.  I must have been more tolerable when I was younger!  

Yes my cairns can be challenging as they all are different.  When people ask me if they are a good breed to have, I always say you must have patience, tolerance and a very good sense of humor( and maybe some more patience!) Cairns are quite rare here in SC.  The popular breed in my parts are Great Pyrenees, for protecting the livestock.  

Ripper70

We have only two. Litter mates we adopted this past summer. First time Cairn owners.

Wish I had room for more. I envy you...

IMG_8562.thumb.jpg.118d435a6a704554f4873c9c19c7e5d7.jpg

Sam I Am

Wow...a pack of Cairns! Sam was a wild child now gratefully a sensible almost three yr old...kind of.  Your home must be full of exciting times! 😳 Never a dull moment no doubt. They are lovely.

theCairnFarm
4 hours ago, Ripper70 said:

We have only two. Litter mates we adopted this past summer. First time Cairn owners.

Wish I had room for more. I envy you...

IMG_8562.thumb.jpg.118d435a6a704554f4873c9c19c7e5d7.jpg

Oh they are beautiful! 

theCairnFarm
1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Wow...a pack of Cairns! Sam was a wild child now gratefully a sensible almost three yr old...kind of.  Your home must be full of exciting times! 😳 Never a dull moment no doubt. They are lovely.

My children sometimes refer to them as the raptor pack(a Jurassic park reference) because when they are locked on something, they definitely hunt as a team 🤣

Pepper Bug's Mom

I love the raptor comparison because when we walk down the trail (on leashes) both Pepper and Brodie are scanning and trotting in unison just like those Jurassica park velociraptors!!!  Two similar predators!!!

hheldorfer

Welcome to you and your Cairns!  I think we're in awe of you for managing to wrangle four of these stubborn little beasts.😁

pkcrossley

what handsome dogs. you must be a real expert by now! have to chuckle at the idea that somebody gets a cairn because they don't want a jack! like deciding to fight a crocodile because you don't want to fight an alligator. 

I have to say, living on a farm with four cairns sounds like a noisy, adventuresome, happy paradise. 

Hillscreek

4 cairns - 4 times the fun and love.

Welcome