CairnTalk

Ruby

Will a Cairn puppy that is 10weeks and 3 days old likely have droopy ears if they have not stood up yet.  A puppy that is 8 months old from the same sire and dame has droopy ears.  Otherwise very healthy. 

Normally I would not be overly concerned with ear status on a 10wk pup as they can go up and down a fair bit during development. Your mention of the 8 month old sounds makes this sound like a back-to-back repeat breeding which to me sends up red flags :redflag: 

Look to the parents and additional siblings to see if dropped ears are more than a once-in-a-blue-moon oddity. Cairns with dropped ears are seldom seen after teething is well and truly completed.

That said, while incorrect for the Cairn breed it doesn't mean a drop-eared pup will turn out any less charming a companion. There are several terrier breeds with flop ears that are thoroughly delightful.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you.  The same parents had a puppy with dropped ears.  All her dogs are inside/outside and clearly in very good health and happy.  Very clean also.  I am just afraid it runs in that line so I am going to get a different pup from another litter.

My 4 year old Rocky's ears took forever to stand up. They were flopping over backwards! Our vet said she had never seen this, but eventually they did stand up much to my relief.  His brother from the same litter Gus, was the first to have his ears stand up. They are all different. I have seen a cairn with floppy ears and to me look just as cute.