CairnTalk

Diabetes

anniegirl

So Dixie has not been diagnosed with Cushings, which still may be a factor but now it is Diabetes. So we start injecting twice a day. I never knew that Cairns are prone to this. Has anyone had any experience here? What about diet?

Thanks, any help would be awesome.....

sad in Salmon Arm...😰

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I clicked on the magnifying glass icon in the right side of the bar at the top of this page and typed in "diabetes".

You might want to try this. Most of the info seemed to just be reporting on diabetes, but there were some reader accounts of treating their cairns, tracking progress, etc. Good luck!

P.S. There is diabetes in my family and one bit of info that I picked up was that it sometimes took the Doc a while to determine the proper dose of meds, insulin to determine the effective amount. I don't know if this approach would apply to treating cairns, but you might need to check in with your vet in order to stay on track.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

In many ways I would consider diabetes a preferable diagnosis over Cushings. Cushing is almost always caused by a benign tumor on the pituitary, and though it can be managed and in most cases progresses very slowly, in others it can be devastating (it killed my beloved cairn). Diabetes is serious but can be managed indefinitely. It is not caused by a devastating tumor but by complexly interacting inadequacies in the pancreas, and sometimes involving the kidneys. All can be managed with diet, exercise and insulin. There will be inconveniences, at least at first. Of the two diagnoses, you got the better one (thinking of the basic diagnosis without possible complicating factors). Dixie will start to feel better soon, and with a good maintenance program she can go on happily and healthily. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 1

Thank you for your help. We start maintenance tomorrow. I hope she will feel better soon, she looks pretty sad right now. I am so sorry you lost your Cairn. I also lost my brindle Cairn last Christmas, and he was Dixies brother. 16 years old. Dixie is just 12 so we really hope she will stay around longer.

• Like 1

I'm sure she will. losing a brother doesn't help a dog feel optimistic --I know you'll support dixie to the max. feel better soon, dixie!

Thank you for your support. First shot was today. Then I googled all the food groups and their glycemic Index. Dixie can have apple, and broccoli for snacks!

Yes, Dixie has been pining ever since Banjo passed. They were together from the time she was born.  

1638.jpg

• Like 4