CairnTalk

Toddler and aggressive 4yr old cairn

Discouragedcairnowner

Hi everyone! 
we have a 4 yr old male cairn terrier that we got as a puppy. We got Gus before we had kids and he was my little baby. When we had my daughter he became more aggressive, barking at every little sound outside especially screaming kids and shows a lot of aggression with larger dogs. He is very territorial with any type of food, even if my daughter drops something and tries to pick it up. He bit my daughters foot tonight when she came between him and possible food dropping. I’ll add that he just ate his dinner. I yelled at him, clapped and growled really loudly and put him in his cage. He hardly showed any remorse and came out of his crate just as angry, meaning he was barking at every little sound, didn’t hang his head at all. This was the final straw as we can’t risk him biting my daughter again. But I was wondering if there’s anything we can do for a miracle. He is not a cuddly dog, doesn’t really care if we are around or not and just paces the house barking. I don’t remember him being like this before our daughter :(

The only thing I can think of is to consider the possibility of contacting a professional trainer. Perhaps your vet would have a referral for you, but even that might not be smooth path. So much depends on finding the right person, the chemistry between dog and trainer, etc., not to mention that the best outcomes always require a sizable investment of effort and commitment on the part of the owner, who must be trained as well.

Wish I could offer more, and hoping for a good outcome!

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

yes, a trainer is certainly a necessity. if i understand it, you have other kids but Gus wasn't like this before your daughter? does it mean he adjusted to other kids but not to her? is she the youngest? 

cairns can be very possessive and certainly have an unusual awareness of (and worry about) their status in any situation. a good behaviorist/trainer will be able to spot the triggers for Gus as they relate to your daughter, and be specific about retraining him to deal with the situation. i found cairns have to be taught very strictly and consistently, from the earliest possible moment, that they can never touch people with their teeth for any reason. cairns are passionate and resourceful and unless very specifically trained to control themselves will try almost anything to "win." but they can be trained to adjust themselves to a safe life with humans of all ages, which cairns have been doing for as long as they have been around. 

if he was your "baby" and now somebody else is your "baby," he has a lot to deal with and a lot of disappointment to absorb. he can do it, but a trainer is probably a requirement. he can direct his unhappiness at the trainer instead of you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are no miracles, only the usual work that dogs require. To address "risk" immediately: in your situation I would actively manage the environment so that the dog does not have unsupervised access to the child and equally important, the child does not have unsupervised access to the dog. Access means the dog can put mouth on child or child hand on dog. So in practice, that means you will need sufficient separation to have time to intervene, which in turn usually means baby gates and exercise pens. This eliminates the risk and is less complicated than rehoming your daughter. 

Without eyes-on nothing you describe about your dog sounds outside the continuum of typical small dog behavior. I don't want to overly anthropomorphize but it is likely your dog is becoming either bored or feeling ignored or something like it so I would suggest what I usually suggest for underemployed dogs — you and your dog would likely benefit from formal obedience training. In addition to the quality time together you will acquire  communication tools and skills (and timing)  that will help your dog understand what you are asking of him, increase his compliance with clearly communicated requests, and eventually lead him to look to you for guidance in advance of decision-making rather than for discipline after.  Failing structured activity with your dog there are a number of good books that can be helpful in framing the issues that often come up with our unrulier housemates. That reminds me to add a couple titles to our slowly developing book list. Until then, perhaps "Dog Problems" and "Dog Training in 10 Minutes."  Books are helpful for perspective, but they can't really teach timing like a good instructor can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I agree with above posts.

Cairns are very sensitive in their relationship with their humans.  Like brad says almost they are like a human in this way.

Once upon a time and for a long time Gus was your favorite and only one and special. Now he's not - someone else has taken his place. He is upset and angry.

Now that you have your baby and Gus who both need you both of them should have special time with you without the other. For you and Gus together doing whatever you like, eg playing ball or any game, going for a walk, going to obedience classes, chatting to him while grooming him, and/or doing whatever you used to do together. When baby and Gus are around together I'd suggest one or other be in a playpen or an xpen or gated off. Separated but where they can smell and see each other. This will help them get to know one another.

A trainer who understands terriers will help you know how to help Gus.

An aside  - it's no good shouting at a cairn - they usually just shout back! My recipe with my fella was to remain calm, speak firmly but kindly, and praise and reward immediately he does something even a little bit of what you want. Persistence is the key.  

• Like 4

yes, i have to agree with all above. of course you don't want any chance that your daughter could be bitten again, but overall it does not sound like an unusual or intractable problem. a life transition in which Gus has to do most of the transitioning. he may need professional guidance or he may just need very thoughtful, very consistent, very fair structure from you. time with him should be powerful medicine, and separate them physically and certainly reintroduce your daughter under very controlled circumstances. i had to laugh at HC's advice not to yell at a cairn. they do yell back, yes, but for a cairn struggling for attention, getting yelled at is the jackpot. don't let him push your buttons, something most cairns are expert at. 

Edited by pkcrossley
grammar
  • Like 2