CairnTalk

Vestibular disease -aka doggie vertigo

lindasue

Greetings all- on Tuesday night I woke up at 12:30 to Pegi thrashing around the room.  She was having trouble moving and vomited. She just turned 10. I immediately rushed her to the 24 hr vet. When I got there she could not walk and her head was completely turned to the left. The vet quickly diagnosed her with vestibular disease - also called it doggie vertigo or old dog disease. She stated that if she was correct Pegi would make a rapid recovery with 48 hrs, although she may have some symptoms up to 2 weeks. I left. her in their care at 3 am.  At 9 the next morning I checked in and she was improving. When I arrived at 9:30 she ate kibble from my hand and was walking around the room. The head tilt was gone.  I was able to take her home. 

The only lingering issue I see is some slight weakness in the rear  legs. She is eating, going for walks, chasing chipmunks. 

Question for the group - has anyone gone through this with their cairn?  Did it reoccur?  Any permanent issues?  It was very scary and trying to gather as much info as I can  thanks all!  

Linda & Pegi

I read about it when my cairn was seeking diagnosis for neurological symptoms. he did not have vestibular disease, which would have been much better than what he actually had. if i remember what i read, it can often be acute, but sometimes is chronic. cause unknown, which i think is also true of the human forms. i hope Pegi has a complete recovery very soon and is never bothered by this again!

How frightening for you and Pegi!  So glad she is on the mend.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

12 hours ago, lindasue said:

Question for the group - has anyone gone through this with their cairn?  Did it reoccur?  Any permanent issues?  It was very scary and trying to gather as much info as I can  thanks all!  

This happened to Ruffy a few months ago. (He's 12 years old). Like you, I found him thrashing around, falling down and unable to keep his balance and vomiting. These symptoms were so sudden and dramatic - it really hit me hard and I was sure I was going to lose him. Luckily, I was able to get him to the vet down the street who diagnosed him with vestibular disease (from the latin word "vestibule") which describes the affected area of the brain. No known cause or treatment. The vet gave Ruffy IV fluid for possible dehydration, and something for the nausea.

The vet said that most - but not all dogs recover in 24 - 48 hours, and to my great relief, Ruffy did recover. For a few weeks, I could only walk him slowly for short periods, but then his strength, pep and energy returned 90% and I'm elated for that. His head tilt gradually lessened and is now gone although his back legs seem less strong; he doesn't sit up for treats as easily as before or run after squirrels trying to scale up trees like he used to, but he frequently happily runs ahead of me on our daily walks. I'm grateful to have him back eagerly participating in life and enjoying it as well.

Another disturbing common symptom you might have missed is that the eyes rapidly vibrate back and forth. This is temporary and cleared up in several days and is the cause of vertigo and vomiting.

As you say, it sure is scary to witness - it's horrible! There seemed to be little info online, except for a description of symptoms. I hope what I wrote here helps you, knowing that the odds for recovery are greatly in Pegi's favor! Let us know how she progresses.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Wow exactly the same.  Pegi is back to almost normal - I do see her with slightly less strength in her rear legs.  Will keep you updated, and thanks. 

• Like 1

Linda & Pegi