CairnTalk

Big Brother

Tuesday

About a month ago we added an 8 week old Australian Shepherd (Auggie ❤️) to our lives.  Murphy has been an only dog for 11 years, and had entered the grumpy middle aged man phase of his life.  

There is lack of tolerance from him the majority of the time.  Lots of barking, mostly from the puppy who wants to play and some snarling, mostly from Murphy.  Auggie goes to the farm every day, so they do get separation from each other.  By the end of the week she will be taller and outweigh the boy!  

He is number 1 - gets fed first, cuddles first, everything first.  I hope they can get to a tolerable stage once the crazy puppy grows up.  

IMG_20190814_172354205.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful pup. Rosie was the same with Sam when he arrived in “her” home. She actually bit him in the middle of his forehead, leaving a small puncture wound. I thought what have we done...but after a few months peace reined. Sam now drives Rosie crazy by running circles around her and bugging the heck out of her....I think he remembers...🤔😋 

Sam being given the stink eye from Rosie upon his arrival at 12weeks of age.

AC0F93D8-7FDA-480F-AF68-A501F7DA3DA7.jpeg

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

they will likely work it out. i think keeping a regime that allows Murphy to feel it is being demonstrated he is top dog is important. my experience was trying to introduce a cairn as the second dog --not easy given the cairn belief that they are the natural-born number ones. so my #1 got into the first, went through the door first, ate first, got a treat first, every thing. my cairn tried every which way to get me to forget the routine, but i stuck with it and eventually my cairn accepted second banana with good humor. takes time. 

• Like 4

Can't blame Murphy for being a tad cranky around the new kid.  I get that way too.  

They'll work it out as long as you make it clear that Murphy is #1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I would give a quick update.  Auggie has been with us for two months now.  Murphy still hates her and let's it be known he's not going to take any puppy nonsense from her. We have a good routine, he gets special treatment and knows he's number 1. ❤️

Auggie is definitely a very dominant gal, and in her short time at the farm has already properly herded the goats with no instruction and without being asked.  Last night, much to his surprise, she herded Murphy. 😂

Two dogs are very interesting to have, especially with the age difference.  But it's made me realize how chill Murphy has become as he heads into his 12th year.  

(photo from a few weeks ago, she's even bigger now!)

IMG_20190825_191748592.jpg

• Like 5