CairnTalk

Thinning shears: recommendations?

calypso

I have an inexpensive pair of thinning shears that badly needs sharpening. I wonder if I should just invest in a better pair rather than resurrect these. I saw mention of thinning shears with the toothed blade on both sides, and am curious about those, too. If anybody has suggestions as to type or brand, I’d love to hear them. I’ll be at our local dog show in a couple of weeks, and there are usually a lot of grooming options there, but if you have a good online source, I’d be happy to know of any favorites. All of my gear is about fifteen years old, but a new puppy is on the way, and I need to up my grooming game from farm dog to showgirl. 

I've bought stuff from "Groomer's Mall" online before. For something like a quality pair of shears, since I lack knowledge I'd probably hit up the sharpening booth at the show. I like to support the show vendors, the sharpening folks would almost certainly have experience-based opinions and recommendations on the many tools that pass through their hands, could advise if sharpening your current pair is cost-effective, and they might even have used and new pairs to compare and contrast. A used reconditioned pair of thinning shears might be a bargain. 

Congrats on the upcoming pup. Totes jelly as no one says anymore :P 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Those are good suggestions. With declining show attendance, it must be hard for vendors these days, and the sharpening folks will know which ones are likely to hold up well without spending a fortune. After I asked my question about the shears, I found out from our local sharpener that it would cost $15 to sharpen them, which may be more than I paid for them in the first place. Maybe better to put that toward a pair made of better metal. 

Thanks for the congrats. We lost our Bella (do you remember that little butterfly from the long ago Cairn Races?) in April and we and Greta have been pretty lonesome. It will be so much fun to have a little one in the house again. I was just up in your neck of the woods visiting the 8 week old babies. If anybody wants to get a vicarious puppy fix on Instagram, my feed (@lorinleith) has gone to the dogs! 

By coincidence I was there just yesterday getting Dundee's coat removed. The puppies were kept out of my sight which is good because I've got the fever :P  Stella is on a gentle glide slope :cry: and Dundee is nicely grown up and ready to be a mentor. 

I do indeed remember Bella and the butterfly costume. It was classic and so was she. 

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

Stella is still a puppy in my mind. It goes so fast.

I’m amazed that you had the fortitude and self control  to keep your distance. They are real beauties! Did you see the videos? 😍

• Like 1

Can anybody else see the videos I posted? I can see the photo, but I just see a blank screen with an arrow where I posted the videos. I’m probably not doing something right. 

Maybe just as well. I’m miles off topic! 

Edited by calypso

I see the video after clicking the play button (the arrow). Uploaded videos can be iffy. 

:offtopic: :banned:  (just kidding; it's your own topic)

Feel free to start a New Puppy topic too :) Can't have too many puppy pics. 

• Haha 1

Please post more photos! Our little Angus is almost a year old and doesn't look like a puppy any more -- though he still acts like one...

I’ll probably break the Internet with puppy pictures when we bring one of these darlings home in a few weeks. These pics are from a visit at eight weeks. It was great fun!

I wasn't getting decent results with my first pair of thinning shears... with teeth one one blade, so I bought a 2nd , moderately priced pair with teeth on both blades and it made a huge difference. Made the task faster and easier!

I forgot to add that the number of teeth has some bearing on the efficiency of the shears in relation to the texture of the Cairn's coat, by I don't remember the details. Sorry!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks. I’ll check those out. Now that my girl is older, I’m looking for ways to make grooming easier on both of us. 

Update on embedded videos for anyone who can't see them (and you should, OMG)…

I see them on IOS (ipad, phone) and Safari desktop browser, but not on Firefox or Chrome desktop. The most dependable method for in situ videos is to embed via URL (from youtube, vimeo, instagram, etc.).  Uploaded .mov is tough without an expensive add-on.

Thanks, Brad. So if I’ve uploaded something to Instagram, how do I get a URL for that if I’m on the Instagram app? 

To get a link to a post:

1. Tap ?revision=368211250554722&name=instagram (iOS) or?revision=368211250554722&name=instagram(Android) above the post.
  2. Tap Copy Link.

Paste that URL from your device clipboard onto its own line in your post here and hit return. For supported services (instagram, etc) the URL will then fetch and embed the post (as I've done from your feed, above).

Thanks! So easy once you know how.

I tried to go back and fix those links, but it looks like I can only edit once. 

Edited by calypso

The pups are too too cute! Can't ever get enough pictures to view.

Grooming shears:

Years ago I used to occasionally  groom my Westie and a couple of friends Westies.

I researched the best thinning shears and recommendations centered on 46 teeth single blade shear.

I believe I bought my pair from Ryan's pet supply.  The markings on my pair: Paris France and the #194.

Best suggestion is to go to a dog show and try out a variety of 46 teeth thinning shears. You'll get the "feel" and probably lots of information and grooming hints.  

I don't personally groom Katie the Cairn. Frequent raking with a Mars Coat King  between her professional grooming sessions keeps her tidy and clean.  

Cheers!

• Like 1