CairnTalk

Slightly rare please

Sam I Am

Sam and Rosie have moved up on the epicurean ladder! We started a few years ago feeding bison however at over $12 a pound they were eating better than us. Then to lean and extra lean hamburger...occasionally chicken but mostly beef as the muscle meat meal part of their diet. Even the extra lean hamburger has to much fat in it for my liking. Off to Costco we headed today and lo and behold eye of round roasts are cheaper than lean and extra lean hamburger. Wow who knew! So now our dogs eat roast...it’s a hard knock life.🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 2 weeks later...

The roast is cheaper than the ground beef? Wow! Gotta love Costco! I shop there often and will have to check next time I go.

Do your grind the roast or serve it to them in chunks? Do you modify their meals in any way like adding fruits or veggies? Are Sam and Rosie on a raw meat diet? I'm interested in the approach others here use for their Cairn feedings.

I partially cook the meat, cut it up, and grind it. That way I can measure out the correct portion. If you scroll up to the top of this forum and look under resources and then dog recipes you will find Rosie’s diet and the supplements calcium, veggies and other items I feed. Both dogs have done great on this diet as it covers everything they need.  I have fed raw in the past and they also did really fine on it (they were commercial raw Patties) but I decided if I make their own food and use all human food stuff there won’t be any recalls or surprises ). I also make their treats ...it is quick, simple and they love them. The recipe is also under cookbook/ pumpkin ginger dog biscuits. I have modified that a bit and leave out on cup of the flour and in its place add one cup of quinoa flour, sometimes I throw a handful of oats and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter (No xylitol, as this is toxic to dogs. Costco carries natural peanut butter, no salt or sugar added).

And Alberta is beef country so yes I was surprised to find out that tough cuts of certain roasts are cheaper here than extra lean hamburger. The good thing about certain cheaper cuts of roast is that there is hardly any fat on them.

Edited by Sam I Am

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Thanks for sharing your regimen. I started Max and Chloe on a raw diet from day one. Cold turkey (no pun intended). They've been loving it. I'm sure after eating the donated kibble and canned foods they were being fed at the shelter, it's like eating in a Michelin 3-star restaurant for them. I use raw ground beef, chicken or turkey and add to it a slurry of raw eggs (with shells), romaine lettuce, carrots, blueberries or apples and any other fresh fruits and veggies we have on hand that I mix up in a food processor. Every few days I'll add organ meat, such as chicken gizzards and hearts or beef liver when I can find it at the local market.

I did, however, come to the realization that when we travel maintaining a raw food diet on the road might be a real challenge. I decided to incorporate a kibble into their daily diet, which I feed them as their evening meal. Raw in the morning, Orijen dry at night (Pretty sure the Orijen is manufactured up in your neck of the woods). They gobbled the Orijen up and had no ill effects so I'm thrilled to have found a dry (and conveniently easy) alternative to the raw meat meal with what I believe to be a high quality, though spendy, dog food. 

Unfortunately, the link for Rosie's Home Cooked Meals and the Pumpkin Biscuits were not functioning (Error code: EX0). I'll try again later.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ripper70 said:

(Error code: EX0)

Yikes. I found and fixed this error (I believe).

I think this particular error has been around for a while, so glad you mentioned it. In general, please do report errors in Forum Support in case I miss a comment in a topic.

Cheers.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Well, what ever you did, it worked! Thanks, Brad! And I'll remember to report any other errors I may encounter in the future.

Off to the food market today...boneless sirloin steak on sale at $3.99 Canadian a pound. Bonus for the pups! So for the heck of it I thought I would do a very quick search to see what high end kibble costs....$7.58 to$12.80 US $$ PER POUND! Yikes. Convert that to Canadian$ ...ouch!

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 1

I purchased a 25 lb. bag of Orijen Original Formula at Petco for $90 USD plus tax. That's about $3.60/lb. Not bad, considering that the feed is 85% meat (mostly chicken, turkey and fish) and grain free. The remaining ingredients are fruits and veggies. The Regional Red is a bit more expensive but is comprised of beef, lamb, boar, goat, etc. It'll cost you an extra dollar per pound but certainly seems like a pretty good deal considering the convenience and amount of protein offered in the meal. 

I don't mind the extra effort required to prepare the dog's food (I prepare every meal for the rest of my family, so...) but I'm encouraged by having options that Max and Chloe will not only enthusiastically eat, but benefit from as well. By the time I'm done with the ground beef or chicken or turkey at $3 bucks a pound and throwing in an egg, some organ meats, a handful of blueberries, a carrot and some olive oil, I'm in the same price ballpark and still have to count the time spent preparing and cleaning up and hoping that the dogs aren't lacking for anything nutritionally.  

• Thanks 1

If I was to feed kibble to my dogs I agree it would be Orijen, however our Scottie Rosie got the Hersey squirts and that stopped when we started feeding raw and partially home cooked. Glad your pups are doing well on both

Edited by Sam I Am