CairnTalk

Acting different

Amy1234

So I have had Kia for almost 2 weeks.  She came from a very large family who has a small child (13 months old).  She would growl at this child.  She was fine with the other children.  She acted fine up until Wednesday.  She now acts scared and shakes.  She Didn’t do this before.  I thought maybe she was depressed. The previous owners kids come around still and she is fine with them, but still acts scared.  I am not sure if the weather is playing a role in this behavior.  We have had some rain.  She did yelp a little when my niece touch her on the top of head.  She is not a pup maybe 10 years old. I just don’t know.  Maybe she is depressed.  Any help or ideas would be great.  Thanks 

Hmm. My take is that she is confused.  She is stressed.

with very little to go on .... what is her new household like? lots of activity? quiet? 

She is with you, previous family comes by...she thinks , I am her to stay? I am going home with them???

Having worked with rescues in the past,  I would suggest the following:

Think of her as a new puppy: Set up her new routine (dogs love routine...makes them feel secure)

She needs her own sleeping area (crate /bed). Feed on regular schedule, walk and play on schedule.

Does she know any commands? Sit? Stay?, Come?  reintroduce them.... praise her ... give her treats...

What does she like? belly rubs? behind the ear scratches?  Game of chasing the ball? Squeaky toys?

(I don't know about the coming and going visits of previous family, I'll let someone else speak to that.)

For you it will take patience and observation. She has to learn so much that is non verbal. It can be exhausting.

Kindness and patience... and naps in the sun!

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

• Like 3

A lot going on here... And some good advice from Dianne! A vet visit might be appropriate. The vet could manipulate Kia's joints to see if there is arthritis or a sprain. Something else not to be ruled out is that very young children can unintentionally mishandle dogs and hurt them, but we'll never know for sure if this caused Kia's growling and shakes. Although it's nice that her former family visits her, its problematic if it stresses her. The best you might be able to do is be vigilant and closely monitor Kia and the others when they visit and step in immediately if Kia seems uncomfortable. They might take this as a hint to back off a bit.

lastly, 2 weeks with Kia is very brief to draw many conclusions and you might need to give it more time for Kia to understand and adjust to her new, unfamiliar world. Although Cairns are generally considered to be very resilient and adaptable, my personal experience with Ruffy has been quite different... He lives by his emotions and does not bounce back quickly... It takes him time... The same might be true for Kia, but I'll bet she'll get there eventually!🙂

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

So I woke up to a 9 pound little gal laying in the bend of my legs.  Good note she seems to be her happy cheerful self today.  Maybe she was just stressed because of the weather.  She has been wagging her tail and coming when ask to.  Hopefully things are looking up.  Thanks for the advise.  Have a great day :)

• Like 4

Ahh, She is bonding ! You are her new pack leader. 🙂

At 9 lbs she is petite for a Cairn.

> vet visit might be appropriate. Most  definitely. Either with her previous vet or a new vet.

>very large family who has a small child (13 months old). I am overly cautious about toddlers and terriers. Those prick ears and upright tails are perfect targets for grubby little hands! The child sees a "plush" toy, But tots move erratically and make squeaky sounds much like Cairn's favorite prey of squirrels, birds and rodents.  I prefer to talk to the child about the dog rather than let them pet the dog.  

> coming when ask to.  That is a real positive step! Some Cairns, who will go nameless, wait to see if there is anything in it for them before deciding to come when called.

YouTube video: The incredible obedience of Cairn Terriers  🤣

Cheers!

• Like 2