CairnTalk

Looking for a pup. My best buddy in the world passed on me this last november.

James Hamrick

I'm really gung-ho on finding a cairn pup. My boy scrappy passed away this last November 2 weeks shy of his 13th birthday 😭. But what it comes down to is, I wanna honor him. I'll probably never try another dog except cairns.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you considered Cairn Rescue USA?  Or perhaps one of the other rescues?

If you want a dog from a breeder, I suggest going to a local show and talking to the folks there.  Cairn folks seem to know one another.

Sorry about Scrappy.  And I do understand how cairnness does get under your skin, and any other breed just will not do...

• Like 1

Hello James,

Persistence, patience and dogged determination -  attributes not only of the Cairn Terrier but those seeking a Cairn Terrier.

It took us 6 months to find our Katie. 6 months of phone calls, emails, and filling out forms, etc.  

I know you have posted on this forum before and received suggestions for your search: rescue organizations, breeders, shows, AKC clubs, shelters, and casual meetings with Cairn owners etc. 

Maybe you could tell us what experiences you are having in your search?

Who has been helpful ... What has frustrated you… 

This would be helpful to others who are just starting the journey to find that special pup. 

Best of luck in your continued search.

The destination is worth the journey.

Cheers!

• Like 2

If you don’t want a rescue dog, find  a reputable breeder that is  registered in your countries kennel club. Plus one  that does possibly does genetic testing and for sure does bile acid testing, and get on the list of future litters.  We did that with Sam and had to wait till the female was bred and pregnancy confirmed..then wait for the litter to be born and then wait another 12 weeks. It seems for ever and ever, however it’s also your best bet on getting a healthy pup. I would encourage you to be patient as it’s so easy to feel that you cannot wait that long ..I think a lot of us feel that! But the right one will come along be it either a rescue or from a good breeder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 3 weeks later...

get on the adopt-a-pet list and specify cairn terrier. they do show up, including purebreds. they will be all ages (except young puppies), either sex, etc., and many have fallen on hard times because their owners died and became very ill and their families did not know anything better than dropping the dog off at the pound. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Adding to what was posted by Sam I Am, you can look for a reputable breeder who is retiring one of her females.  We got Nelly at age 4 after she was bred twice.  She's just wonderful.  Requires some online research, but worth every bit of the effort.

Edited by tlwtheq
  • Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg