CairnTalk

Different organ meat

Sam I Am

Probably a few oldies here on the site know that I feed home cooked, keeping the meat very pink. I also feed different organ meats, like beef heart, chicken hearts and liver and chicken gizzards. I have tried the raw unprocessed green tripe but the stink of it was just to much for me...the dogs of course loved it. I stopped buying it because of the smell but did a google on washed tripe sold for human consumption . It’s packed with minerals and vitamins. Has anyone fed their dogs this?

Edited by Sam I Am

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh boy -tripe. When I was a young person organ meats were regularly sold and eaten. Much more nutritious than the muscle meat we generally eat today. Yes "green" tripe as the raw stuff is called is stinky, but v. good food for dogs who love it. I added it for years till I couldn't find a supplier any more. The tripe for humans that our neighbors ate was the honeycomb kind. There are four kinds - you can google. None of our family liked the bland chewy texture even though good nutrients were there. However tongue, heart, liver, kidneys were regularly consumed. M-m- steak and kidney pie - my mouth waters at the remembrance ! I believe brains were eaten also though I never had them.

I daresay you could try the bland white stuff for your dogs though I was under the impression it wasn't as nutritious as the raw.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.

• Like 1

When we go for Chinese Dim Sum I have never been brave enough to try it! 

I did see a documentary a few years back of a hunt club in England, who after the hunt fed the hounds tripe. It was the white kind not the green. I am surprised here in our area how expensive the stuff is...it used to be  that  organ meat was dirt cheap. Perhaps I will have to buy a package cook it up and give it a try before feeding it to the dogs...or not.🤢

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

5 hours ago, Hillscreek said:

Oh boy -tripe...

Oh boy - tripe...the other white meat!😜

• Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hillcreek my mother also liked steak and kidney pie plus I remember her cooking tongue.....I was never brave enough to try that . Memories of that organ lying on the kitchen counter gave me the shivers as she sliced thin pieces for her sandwich. It was common for my Scottish Granny to fry up kidneys for breakfast also. I suppose it all depends what part of the world you come from. Sam and Rosie are multi ethnic when it comes to their tastes in meat.🤣 

• Haha 1

It's funny you should say that Sam I am. After posting  re tripe I thought I should have said to you to ask your Scottish granny or look in a cookbook of that time. Plenty of recipes there I'll bet.

If you read about tripe for dogs you will see that while we don't use it much here it is commonly used in Europe and regarded highly as good food for the dogs . Dogs go crazy for it. Most breeders say waste of time to feed the bleached supermarket stuff.

We are accustomed to have basic smells removed from our perception any more. What a shock it is for urban folks when they come to the country and smell cow poop!! And see live cows. Oh yuk our milk comes out of them - gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a link to a place that is reliable regarding what it sells. I bought from them for a while but it became too expensive for me. Probably doesn't ship to Canada but you might be able to find something similar.

HC point taken. Granny and my mum and I loved Haggis however tripe was never eaten...will have to give it a try I suppose. Horse and cow poop doesn’t faze me at all as I have spent most of my life around barns and manure...lol. We actually have a company here in Alberta that sells frozen green tripe patties...perhaps I will give it another try..plugging my nose as I scoop.🥴

Frozen tripe is what I used. I see I forgot the link but it would lead to similar tripe offerings as what you mentioned. I just defrosted a bit for meals and served as quickly as possible. Usually served with their kibble but can be separate. Smell only for a minute as dogs couldn't wait to get it down!

Oldtimers would buy the whole stomach and cut it up themselves. It's very tough. Keen though I am on organ meet I couldn't manage that!

• Like 1