CairnTalk

My best friend dies suddenly

James Hamrick

Hey everyvody, I'm new here. Was just browsing the internet on trying to figure out exactly what happened to my best bud of almost 13 years. Scrappy passed so suddenly this past November 2 weeks before his 13th birthday. Not even an hour before he went he was in the kitchen, doing what he always does waiting for my mom to drop something on the ground. Well I went to lay down with him and he seemed nervous or a sort, kept getting up of the bed with me and lying on the floor in multiple different places. Then he started letting his head fall backwards and to the side and didn't seem all there and would stumble when I set him on the floor. I knew obviously something was wrong and it was about 1 in the morning at the time. I was holding him and felt his heart stop beating for a second or 2 and then it started again and not even 2 minutes later he died in my arms. It's been a while but telling the story really rips me apart. He was fine, happened out of nowhere within a matter of 20 minutes or so. The only thing I can relate to maybe a symptom is his stomach was bloated but he had no symptoms of dog bloat. I'd really like to get some understanding on what mightve been the culprit here. 

Edited by James Hamrick
  • Sad 1

Dear James, I am so sorry for your loss and wish I had words to ease the pain. I can only hope that the concern and support of your friends and family will console you at this sad time.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Dear James,

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a furry friend can be devastating. A real hole in the heart.

We lost our Westie, 13 yr old Mollie, very similarly. Vet said it was a stroke.

She was happily barking on the deck, we brought her in to watch TV with us, she became restless, shook a little and was gone. 

You were privileged to have shared Scrappy's life and his spirit will live on in your heart forever. 

Take care.

Can't speak to the cause of your furry one's passing.

Can send condolences at the loss of you pal. Quite a few of us here have felt that pain.  Scrappy will remain in a special place in your heart forever.

Does anybody know rescues for cairn terriers? When I got scrappy, my mom got him for me when I was 16 and he was only $350. If rather rescue one instead of buying one since so many dogs are put down from being abandoned by their owners. But I also realize that the cairn breed really doesn't fit into that since they're somewhat of high demand. I figure though to honor scrappy it'd be best to save one rather than buying one...not to mention I can't afford $1000 dog. Any insight will be greatly appreciated and thank u for y'alls condolences.

my dog teddy also died very, very suddently and we never found out the cause. it is very traumatizing, you want  so much to keep your dog safe, and then suddenly dying with no hint of the cause... terrible. i completely understand how much it hurts to narrate it for us. it sounds like he died of a heart attack or stroke, if not internal hemorrhage. there was nothing you could have done.

i think you have the right idea for a rescue. if you don't have another dog or cats, you should be able to consider a wide range of rescue candidates. there are several well-known cairn rescue organizations, and you can easily find them online. also, please consider a cairn mix. you can go to adoptapet.com and specify your area and a few other criteria. i'm sure you will get some hits within a few weeks and then of course it is a matter of following up. saving a dog (or cat) who is already here is absolutely one of the best things you can do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sure other folks on this forum can speak of the Cairn rescue organizations.

When I was helping with Westie rescue i would encourage folks to also contact their nearest AKC  
Club. Sometimes a terrier will be returned to a breeder and will be in need of a new home. You can find out the locations for your nearest Cairn Terrier AKC club by looking at the AKC website.

Our SPCA lets you put your name on a list  for a particular breed and then emails you should one becomes available.

Don't forget "networking'. See a Cairn Terrier, be sure to chat up the owner. Someone may just know someone who knows someone.... 

Patience and persistence.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1