CairnTalk

AKC Museum of the Dog

sanford

Visited this new museum which just moved here to NYC after many years in St. Louis. As expected, it was small, (with lots of room to grow), but very pleasant, and conveniently located in the heart of the city, just 2 blocks south of Gr. Central Terminal. Many of the paintings and large bronze sculptures were truly wonderful... A  pleasure to see the beautiful dogs so large and close up. Surprisingly, I could only find one cairn terrier! The first pic of the poodle from 1899, stopped me in my tracks. What was that groomer thinking! I got a chuckle when I entered "Cairn Terrier" in the interactive search for breed characteristics, summed up in 3 words: "Alert, Cheerful, Busy." 

The labels don't show... What looks like a birdhouse is actually an "Edwardian Era" doghouse for a pampered dachshund. Tha Spaniel with the White House in the background was Millie, the Bush's dog. My favorite: the four running salukis, next to the last pic.

1899 Fr. PoodleIMG_1431.JPG

CairnTerrierIMG_1473.JPG

Edwardian Era DoghouseIMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Millie White House dog IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Fun! Thanks for sharing.  That capsule Cairn description pretty much nails it :thumbsup: 

Sighthounds in general and Salukis in particular are elegant dogs (I prefer them to Afgans). I have not seen a Saluki coursing (mostly I see whippets and basenjis at CATs) but I once saw a CAT course being tested by a Borzoi and it brought a tear of wonder to my eyes. Speed and grace embodied. 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

What beautiful paintings! I love the old masters and how they captured the beauty of dogs and horses.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

When the museum was here in St. Louis, there was an area dedicated to the wizard of oz with lots of information about the movie and Toto, with a Dorothy doll and stuffed Toto toy from that era.  We were very sad to see it leave when it did.  It was located in a beautiful old house in a park.  I am glad that other people can enjoy it now though.

29 minutes ago, pkcrossley said:

is the cairn sculpture going up the stairs or riding the escalator or what?

That cairn wasn’t going anywhere!😀 He stood securely inside a highly reflective glass display case. The day was extremely bright and sunny, creating deep harsh shadows, reflections and washed-out areas making it impossible to photograph many   subjects.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Idaho Cairns
18 hours ago, bradl said:

Fun! Thanks for sharing.  That capsule Cairn description pretty much nails it :thumbsup: 

Sighthounds in general and Salukis in particular are elegant dogs (I prefer them to Afgans). I have not seen a Saluki coursing (mostly I see whippets and basenjis at CATs) but I once saw a CAT course being tested by a Borzoi and it brought a tear of wonder to my eyes. Speed and grace embodied. 

I am pleased to inform you that I AM A SALUKI!  Yep, that's right, I am a proud graduate of Southern Illinois University, BA 1968--a saluki thru and thru!!  However, I always thought that the mascot was sort of a scrawny version of the Afgans--sorry about that.

• Haha 3

On 3/15/2019 at 6:19 PM, pkcrossley said:

fantastic pictures. is the cairn sculpture going up the stairs or riding the escalator or what?

Well, you can be sure it's not sitting still!

• Haha 1

Beautiful!  I adore Salukis.  When I was a kid my sister went to SIU (like Idaho Cairns) and that's when I learned of the breed.  They're so incredibly elegant and graceful.

• Like 1