Dogband1

Any yard "fertilizer" safe for Cairns?

Dogband1

Reilly, our 4th is wonderful and now 3.5 years old.  How do the months and years click by so fast? 

Our fenced dog yard has horrible grass growth, and therefore turns to mud in the winter.  I put down straw this winter to cover the mud, and now it has killed most of the grass, in effect, making my issue worse.   I have purchased many a pet friendly fertilizer, then backed out of actually using these items.  I need something to make my grass grow yet would be safe around Reilly, or I will eventually just be forced to put down paver type stones over most of this area.   About all I have ever done is spread some of our composted topsoil on the grass, with minimal improvement.   Your input most welcome.   Pic of Reilly on Roan Mt Highlands.  

IMG_2500.JPG

Pepper Bug's Mom

We gave up and put in artificial turf...ugh...not much better - it stinks in warm weather and needs maintenance - adding sand and raking.  It looks very nice and not muddy.  I tried cedar shavings and straw before we went to artificial turf.  If I had a bigger yard the grass might have had a chance but once we got the yellow lab it was a disaster.

Sam I Am
Posted (edited)

I am a gardener and our back lawn looks like hell...however it’s something I just live with as any lawn fertilizer I have read up on say safe for pets...Caution , keep away from children!  If it isn’t safe for children it sure isn’t safe for my dogs.

I have in the past used organic alfalfa pellets and it really works well, however Sam has decided that those taste good (Rosie ignores the stuff’) andi don’t need him getting the Hersey squirts from over indulgence. I will probably give it another try to see if Sam has gotten over his pellet passion! If you can find a feed store close to you it will be way cheaper to buy a big bag than a few pounds from your nursery which will cost an arm and a leg. http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/cheap-organic-fertilizer-for-your-lawn-and-garden/

Edited by Sam I Am

hheldorfer

What you may have to do is divide your lawn in half:  Temporarily fence off one section, till and plant grass seed and wait until you have healthy turf before Reilly is allowed in the area.  Then do the same thing with the other side.  Considering it's already mid-March, I'd do half in the spring and wait until fall to do the other half.

Of course this is a major aggravation and may not be possible with your yard layout.

Sam I Am

Just an add on. I started last year over seeding  with Dutch white clover seed which seems tough and impervious to dog urine, of course you don’t have to mind clover which I don’t as it also provides nutrition for the bees. My back lawn is slowly starting to be taken over by clover and no doubt it will look green in a few years...I hope. Grass is just not a good option for dog urine. 

Dogband1

Thank you all for your time and wisdom.

I actually did divide the yard in half, to minimize his running so much in the winter muddy yard.  I backed out of treating half of the yard with chemicals just this week for an abundance of caution.  Now the yard is totally open.  I still may have to fence off small sections late summer to try and kill the dichondra that last year invaded my yard.  Beyond this, I may just put down a ton of pavers in my most muddy spots.  I'm also going to call my farm extension agent and see if there is a better type of grass that I can plant.  The  pellets are a good thought, but Reilly will put anything in his mouth.  I simply would not trust him.  Kyra, our female from years gone by, was in the yard for years with no issues, then out of blue, late Saturday of course, decided to eat an underground puff ball mushroom.  Off to the emergency vet, and $1200 and two nights later, she was fine.  They were not poisioness.  We were lucky.  Now Reilly only gets in the backyard if I can watch him.  These little devil dogs😗 Goodness I love em so.  Blessings to all.  Thank you.

hheldorfer

Pavers definitely help.  I have a collection of them - 1' concrete squares that are getting harder to lift each year - that I move around wherever they're needed.  Spring is mud season, however, and there's no way to keep the dogs out of it.  My only solution is wiping paws and putting lots of rugs down.