CairnTalk

Winter Birds Myths and Facts

Guest dog person

Guest dog person

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/birding-basics/winter-birds-myths-facts/

Excerpt below, click on link for full article

Winter Birds Myth: If you have warm water in a birdbath when the temperature is below freezing, birds will bathe in it and freeze to death from wet feathers.
Winter Birds Fact: Birds will drink from a heated birdbath, but if the temperature is well below freezing, they will not bathe in it and get their feathers wet. If you’re still worried, offer warm water to drink, but make it too deep or inaccessible for the birds to bathe in.

Did you read the article I posted?

It said:

1. There are 2 camps on whether winter birdbaths are injurious to birds, with research on-going. 

2. That birdbaths are probably more injurious in colder weather, e.g. single digits and below (common in Minnesota where this article appeared).

3. That is any case it is a fact that birds seem to have survived just fine for all the time in history that we did not put out birdbaths, summer or winter.

4. In any case, the writer recommends putting boards or boughs over a winter bath if you do have one so birds can get water but not bathe.

• Like 1

Guest dog person
33 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

Did you read the article I posted?

I would have, however, the article you posted was null and void as far as my computer was concerned.    Check it yourself.

Anyway, the more opinions the better!

Page not found

We’re sorry. The page you were looking for couldn’t be found, or may have been moved.

PS:  Anyone that works in medicine or has basic medical knowledge knows that all living things will die of dehydration first, before starvation.     That's a fact.    Ask a medical healthcare professional that you trust.

Edited by dog person

Since we are trying to be neighborly here, Dog Person, it would have been polite of you to let me know that you could not open the site before posting another "contrary" opinion to an article that is actually short on opinion and strong on suggestions.

Thanks for sending everyone the link.

• Thanks 1

Guest dog person
10 minutes ago, Kathryn said:

Since we are trying to be neighborly here, Dog Person, it would have been polite of you to let me know that you could not open the site before posting another "contrary" opinion to an article that is actually short on opinion and strong on suggestions.

Thanks for sending everyone the link.

Contrary opinion?

I think not.     As someone that has had to pay $$ to take care of damage done by rodents (car and home)  I was advised by animal control, wildlife organizations, neighbors, and Dept. of Public Health, NOT TO FEED THE BIRDS.

However, a birdbath (heated or otherwise) was acceptable.

Maybe it is different in rural areas.     

PS: The rats in Beacon Hill are as large as cats!

Edited by dog person

Well, since my Idaho connections, friends, dept of health, fish and wildlife, media, and all other encompassing entities have made it clear that feeding songbirds in this clime is a needed and entertaining facet of our long winters.  I will continue to fling sunflower seeds (please no studies showing sunflower seeds to be the worst thing for birds than hawks!) to the hundreds of little birds that grace my faux apple tree.
Since a field mouse or two running around the house is no big deal and since I do not feed birds from either of our cars the deprivations I might suffer from these cute little critters is likely negligible in this household.  I certainly do understand why someone who was overrun by feline sized rats might want to take a different stand on bird feeding--I respect that and hope you respect my desire to feed and enjoy birds, both summer and winter (yes, I feed year round)--I consider these birds to be my friends and my responsibility.  They ask for so little and give so much!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ditto, Idaho.  I love having a bird feeder.  It is used by all sorts of birds (and, of course, the squirrels) during the day; at night it's a gathering spot for other critters, too - rabbits, opossums, skunks, mice.  Also have a heated birdbath but I've never found a bird frozen to death.  I've noticed that the birds only use it to bathe on sunny days when they can adequately dry their feathers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Long before we ever fed and/ or watered the birds they made it through the winters. The problem with feeding the wildlife up here in the mountains of northern PA is that they come to rely on this support. So if it is disrupted - people move, forget, or whatever, the wild life suffers.

• Like 1

True - we are in California and our housesitter is making sure the feeders are full in Minnesota. Besides, we have fed generations of cardinals, chickadees, goldfinches, woodpeckers, blue jays and all sorts of finches and sparrows over the years - as well as the others that pass thru on their way up north and back - and I do think they remember and come to rely on us. Particularly this winter, when an ice storm, severe cold and then snow have covered so much of their natural resources. And our house sitter, who never fed birds. Is finding the experience delightful.

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 2