CairnTalk

Dogs and cats...

DoubleTrouble

Guest dog person
15 hours ago, oscar's mom said:

You can check for used baby gates at second hand children's store.

Yard sales too, especially church ones.      However, the tall gates are hard to find unless you buy them new.

I did find a medium sized hard plastic dog carrier for the car (goes for at least $40 new) at a church yard sale for $5!

Not a thing wrong with it except it had dust on it.

Edited by dog person

Munchkin Easy Close XL Metal Baby Gate, 29.5" - 51.6" Wide, Black, Model MK0009-111

image.png.d02d1e8adf46425f433320527462e1d7.png

This is the gate that we use - have 2 of them!

The gate is 36" tall.

Edited by Pepper Bug's Mom

Pepper's Mom

Guest dog person

The gate she has looks like it is at least 3 feet tall and the dogs can jump it.

Her dogs look long legged, like my cairn.

Edited by dog person

Yes.  Elsie & I are still missing Demps.  We talk about him most every day.  Elsie has sure change - she seems unhappy and likes to test me alot by hiding around the corner when she knows I'm looking for her or just restless.  Constantly watching me.  I  have a heck of a time getting her to eat.  Not that she's lost weight but she binges now instead of just eating a steady diet.  I have been watching for another rescue cairn, but there are none around here. 

However I did put in my application for a little rescue Yorkie today.  There are 3 of them at this rescue and they are all seniors. 9, 10 & 11   The size will take some getting used to, but they are cute little rascals.  

Snuggle in and stay warm everybody.  

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I remember when the cat first arrived and was so soon friendly with Elsie. So nice to see the three of them again. I expect Elsie misses her doggie friend. Three Yorkies might equal one cairn Lori so just take them all and share with us a new video story!! Elsie will love having new friends to help her.

• Like 4

Lori what ever animal(s) you adopt will have a loving and wonderful life. I am sure Elsie will perk up when she has a canine buddy.. I miss all your farm stories and videos and of course I sorely miss little Demps also. Please stay in touch with us!

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I would love too but I don't know if you would accept a cairn mix and a little York.  We will see what happens.  I thought that's how I would inform Jim if we have a new family member.  I will tell him that there are 3 Yorkies in need so I adopted them .... and then he will be relieved that there is only one. 😄 Have any of you ever had a little York?  I prefer the size of a cairn ... never had a tiny before. 

Elsie and I still go for gator rides.  Just the other day I warmed up the gator just to go to the mail box.  Freeezzzziinngg.  Jim gave us  hell for starting the gator.  So no more of that when it's so cold. ..... Guess it's back to using the car. :) 

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Guest dog person

I had a yorkie that lived to be 16 years old.     He did not particularly care for the other dog in the household that I got to keep him company when I went to work.    He did not care for the outdoors.    I think he would have preferred living in a NYC penthouse with an occasional walk through Central Park.

They are very sweet companion dogs, they are also very vulnerable, I would NEVER have a yorkie off leash outside of a fenced in yard.

Coyote bait.   They look like a giant rat to a bird of prey.

I imagine these 3 are bonded and would like to stay together.

Personally, I would wait for a more rugged breed that could tolerate farm life.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way.    I am being sincere.

PS: They may be better suited for a retired couple.    Don't forget, senior care  $$, stuff happens after age 10, these are delicate elderly dogs.

Edited by dog person

Lori, I was under the impression that you moved off the farm into town--have you moved back?

Edited by Idaho Cairns

No Idaho.  We are still on the farm - however I do have a house in town also.  That is my attempt to wean Jim away ... and it works ... somewhat.  It's just a small cute little get-a-way.  We did get rid of all the cows but two - Panda and Maggie - we will have two calves this spring to enjoy. :) 

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Scottie’s make amazing pets also. We have had two and they are wonderful dogs.https://www.stca.biz/scottish-terrier-rescue-sp/rescue-groups

a friend of mine has a yorkie and he really is sweet and a tough little nut. He takes on the cat which is way bigger than him!

sorry D we somehow got side tracked,!

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie