CairnTalk

Moving to a new home-how should I prepare my girl?

LindaMC

Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here, this past year has been horrible.  Both me and husband had pneumonia last spring which led to an emergency run to the hospital for my husband where they found a malignant tumor on his lung.  Long story short, Jim had his entire right lung removed on 7/1/18, made a great recovery, started chemo in September a week later he was gone.  Now my house is in the process of being sold and will be moving to the first floor apartment of my stepdaughters house close to Boston.  There's a fenced in yard but grass is all gone so it's mostly dirt (I'm going to ask her if I can plant grass in the spring).  I know the area, use to live across the street for 10 years and owned a Lab at the time.  Maisie doesn't like the car, she tolerates it but shakes a lot.  I'm worried about her reactions with a new place.  Do dogs usually cope okay?  

Since my husband's death, Maisie has become very protective of me and barks a lot more than she use to.  I'm waiting on the results of an allergy test for sensitivities.  She's still breaking out and I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.  Any help you can toss my way about moving with a Cairn Terrier, will be greatly appreciated.

Once I'm finally settled, I hope to be back here a lot more often. 

Edited by LindaMC

Linda my deepest sympathies. It takes time to heal from loss..sometimes a long time and no doubt Maisie feels your sadness also.  I think change is allows hard for most people and no doubt Maisie is also reacting to the changes happening in her life. She will adjust...they usually do. Big hugs.💕

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Guest dog person

The thing that popped into my head was, don't wash her dog bed or blankets.    Dogs (especially cairns) are sensitive to scents, so familiar smells may have a calming effect on her.

Walk her around the block just a few minutes at a time several times a day.  Dogs love routine so try to keep the same schedule that she is used to, meals, bedtime.   

I find as long as their person is there they adjust.

Socialize her as much as you can, it might help with her overprotectiveness.

Sorry for your loss.   

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

PS: Have you asked your vet about medication for long car rides?   Also, medication may help her get through the transitional stage (2-3 months).   I am not referring to supplements or otc meds, unless okayed by a vet that has examined her.

If you are near Angell Medical Center, they are wonderful, assuming you will need a new vet.

I forgot, put a t-shirt you have worn all day or slept in, in her dog bed for the scent (smells like home) 

Edited by dog person

So sorry and sad to read of Jim's death. I'm hoping that the move to be near to your stepdaughter will ease your burden at this difficult time. 

I have no experience with the type of move you will be making, so I'm unable to offer advice. I can only hope that you and Maisie will both adjust to your new circumstances. Although our cairns are creatures of habit, the breed is also known for its adaptability. I am hoping for the best and look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

You and your Cairn have had some difficult changes in your lives and probably the best advice I can offer is simply to do what has to be done and have plenty of faith in fact that Cairns are pretty tough cookies when it comes to facing change--they are adaptable little dogs.
I would suggest that you simply go ahead with what is necessary and trust that innate Cairn toughness to carry the dog thru, knowing that you are certainly going to see some, probably temporary, changes in the dog's behavior.
Healing yourself, to the extent that you can,  is the primary goal right now.  Once you make the transition to your new reality Maisie will no doubt be right there at your side.  Good luck, stay close and keep us appraised of how you, and Maisie, are doing.  God bless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Guest dog person

Sorry if this is off topic but I couldn't resist.    I just mentioned Angell in a previous post. 

This is an example of how wonderful they are!

You did mention that you were moving to Boston, lol           

The MSPCA-Angell in Jamaica Plain will open a pet food and supply distribution center to assist those affected by the government shutdown.     excerpt from   https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/MSPCA-Angell-Create-Pet-Supply-Center-for-Those-Affected-by-Shutdown-504485231.html

Edited by dog person

Linda and Maisie - so sad to learn about Jim's death and the grief you are experiencing.  But glad you have come here for comfort and to share the changes you and Maisie will be making in your lives.

Just as you must feel terribly unsettled, I think Maisie must too. I agree with Idaho and others - cairns are generally resilient.  I would expect with time and your care she will come through this.

And I hope with the care of your friends and family - and count us here in that circle too - you will also come through.

My thoughts are with you and Maisie both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Linda - so very sorry for your loss. From my own experience all I can say is just keep plugging along day by day. Maisie will go along with you and be your friend and companion. The old adage - time will heal - or at least help - is very true.

We hope you will come on the forum and share with us how you and Maisie are doing.

Take care the both of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the advice and well wishes, I appreciate them more than you know.  I'll be around more in the near future or as soon as I am moved and settled.  I love this forum, just try to keep me away.....:D

• Like 3