CairnTalk

Getting to the end of the road

watergirl

Guest dog person

Has she seen the vet lately?

What you describe sounds like anal gland issues.

Extremely painful and this would explain why she bites when you touch her

I would stop all supplements until she is seen by the vet, the supplements could be making it worse.

Edited by dog person

this is a tough one. addie does not sound hopeless at all. but she clearly needs a closely managed life of the sort that dog person outlines. i cannot see justification for putting down a dog when possibilities for rehoming or surrendering to rescue have not been thoroughly explored. some people have life circumstances that allow then to manage and perhaps reform problem dogs, and others do not. cairns have some inherent unpredictability and their bites hurt. i had a bitey, high-strung cairn whom i loved very much. i was lucky enough to be able to manage his life successfully, and i will always be grateful for that, because despite his tantrums and scarey episodes he was a brilliant dog with a heart of gold. i miss him every day. and if i could have him back on his worst day i wouldn't hesitate to take it. but i do remember the problems, very well. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

i cannot see justification for putting down a dog when possibilities for rehoming or surrendering to rescue have not been thoroughly explored...

Idaho said:

Destroying the dog may be the only reasonable solution but I wouldn't make that choice unilaterally, I would get some Cairn knowledgeable folks involved first...

........................................................................................................................................................................................

*❗* I just reread the posts and discovered these comments above re destroying Addie. I don't know how I missed them the first time, but I hope this doesn't happen. Please don't do that. Rehoming IS an option with any number of rescue groups out there. It is not uncommon for difficult dogs to be surrendered. There are volunteers who have amazing skills, rehabilitating problem dogs!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest dog person
11 hours ago, dog person said:

Has she seen the vet lately?

What you describe sounds like anal gland issues.

Extremely painful and this would explain why she bites when you touch her

I would stop all supplements until she is seen by the vet, the supplements could be making it worse.

Beware of biting. Pain can change a dog's behavior. Even a friendly dog in great pain will be more likely to bite.

• Even a dog that has never bitten before may bite when approached if it is experiencing significant pain.
  • A dog in pain may also bite if you touch or move a painful area. The natural response, when a painful area is touched, is to turn toward that area. The dog may try to bite out of instinct.
  • You may first see warning signs such as growling. A dog on the verge of biting may pin its ears back or show its teeth. This is a natural protection mechanism that a dog may use to try to prevent further pain.

*Above is an excerpt from:  https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-a-Dog-Is-in-Pain

Yup, I would rule out anal gland issues and other medical things that would cause discomfort, take her in for a full checkup, if the dog is in pain that may explain the aggressive behavior.   

Thought of this when you mentioned her bowel movement problems, in example straining and soft stools.

Also, she may not want you to touch her back area because it hurts!

Edited by dog person

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. I did want to give you a youtube link for training a dog for using a muzzle. There is even one for using pantyhose as a muzzle, although it looks a little iffy. I am a big fan of the fabric type muzzle. I think they are less likely to invade the eye space. Hopefully this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fabric+dog+muzzle

• Thanks 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I have checked in with a vet and he suggested a behaviorist which I also talked to. She had the mind that you should pick your battles and don't do any grooming or touching that bothers her. I also have he anal glands emptied when she is groomed. The funny thing is I can play with her and she allows me to touch her anywhere bottom, eyes but just don't try to brush or groom her when she is not in that play mode.

• Like 1

I so agree that with most terriers you definitely pick your battles. 🤗

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Guest dog person
24 minutes ago, watergirl said:

I have checked in with a vet and he suggested a behaviorist which I also talked to. She had the mind that you should pick your battles and don't do any grooming or touching that bothers her. I also have he anal glands emptied when she is groomed. The funny thing is I can play with her and she allows me to touch her anywhere bottom, eyes but just don't try to brush or groom her when she is not in that play mode.

Regarding the anal glands expression, best to have a vet tech do it at your veterinary clinic, not the groomer.

If there is an impaction the groomer can make it worse, a groomer is not a veterinary healthcare professional.

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

Sometimes there is a hard pocket that doesn't come out unless an internal rectal exam is done by the vet.

Groomers are not allowed to do this (internal rectal exam)

The expression is not complete hence the pain, discomfort and potential infection continues.

Regarding anal gland expression.

I hope this information helps someone.

Edited by dog person

8 hours ago, watergirl said:

...you should pick your battles and don't do any grooming or touching that bothers her....just don't try to brush or groom her when she is not in that play mode.

I can comb and brush Ruffy with ease, but he won't tolerate a metal pin brush, no matter how gently and lightly I use it, so it stays on the shelf, collecting dust!

Edited by sanford
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!