CairnTalk

Up town coats

Sam I Am

Having had horses all my life I am always amazed at the number of blankets people collect for their horses for every season. I was looking at some dog coats on line and found these...I love them. Waterproof, stylish and a mere 100 British pounds for the leather one I believe ......Yikes...The gang would be better outfitted than me.

36D54C5B-4B5D-4B3C-A902-8414AC94B25B.jpeg

D56C4A89-7ECB-4254-8635-56F65C92B039.jpeg

41536629-C456-46BE-8206-061F5C56C215.jpeg

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I tend to shop at estate sales and thrift stores - love the fun of a great deal. Never spend a 100 pounds equivalent on anything. But I have never seen a cute dog coat at one of these sales or shops either...

Oban sure would look snazzy in that leather one...hmmmm...

• Haha 1

That leather one looks like it needs a rifle scabbard. Just thinking like the cowboy that I ain't. Yeehah. 🐴

Edited by remltr
  • Haha 3

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Guest dog person

The only coat my cairn will tolerate is a nice soft cotton hoodie sweatshirt type.

I would never spend more than $10 to $20 bucks for a dog coat.    I have to save my money for the vet visits, lol.

Leather is not that popular anymore, in the seventies everyone had a black leather jacket (Fonzie style)

I suppose it is just decorative rather than practical.   Stylish?    Leather isn't warm at all, unless lined.  

It seems kind of weird putting an animal skin on an animal?    Just my opinion.

PS: The thrift shops in my area are loaded with leather jackets and coats for humans,  very cheap, some are brand new with the tags still attached.

Edited by dog person

Yup HH, Sam would no doubt agree 😉I wonder if they make the coat in human size. I am rather partial to the leather one, however the green one is water proof. In the horse world $300 per coat is on the less expensive side...up here in Canada. 

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Guest dog person

I'm sure it is a very nice dog coat.    Just out of range price wise for some of us ordinary pet owners that have to get by on a fixed income.

If you can afford it.   Go for it!

2 hours ago, dog person said:

Leather is not that popular anymore, in the seventies everyone had a black leather jacket (Fonzie style)

I suppose it is just decorative rather than practical.   Stylish?    Leather isn't warm at all, unless lined.  

All true, DP. At the risk of spoiling this light-hearted topic, I agree that it seems weird (and ironic), that a dog owner would cover their pet with the hide of another animal that was skinned for the vanity of the owner. Dogs (and their close relatives) are skinned for the leather industry and it seems insensitive to me to buy leather dog coats or with fur trim made from the tails of coyotes, arctic foxes, etc.

Although this fashion creeps me out, I'll leave it to others, whether to condemn it or not.

P.S. If you have money to burn, look at Tiffany's site online... They are offering sterling silver dog bowls for approx. $1,800 (for the small size)!😂

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

🤭

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Downvote 1

Oban does wear a stylish selection of seasonal bandanas, which I acquired over the years from his groomer, a cairn breeder/exhibitor. And I know he doesn't even need that little amount of protection from the weather - but he is recognized in our neighborhood for his style and panache...

Actually I would be much more likely to splurge on something for him than for myself...currently looking at the dog beds that show up in a catalog I get regularly.

And even with his own coat, Oban is a wuss about cold or rainy weather. He would rather not get wet, thank you very much...and back to the blankets on the couch he goes...

• Like 1

Guest dog person
50 minutes ago, sanford said:

All true, DP. At the risk of spoiling this light-hearted topic, I agree that it seems weird (and ironic), that a dog owner would cover their pet with the hide of another animal that was skinned for the vanity of the owner. Dogs (and their close relatives) are skinned for the leather industry and it seems insensitive to me to buy leather dog coats or with fur trim made from the tails of coyotes, arctic foxes, etc.

Although this fashion creeps me out, I'll leave it to others, whether to condemn it or not.

P.S. If you have money to burn, look at Tiffany's site online... They are offering sterling silver dog bowls for approx. $1,800 (for the small size)!😂

Oh, I have a couple of old Coach leather bags that I treasure and some Frye boots (they last forever).   So I am guilty too.      

PS: It's true there are some products that are better in leather, I rationalize purchasing them by making them last as long as possible (decades).

Edited by dog person

Two pair of Frye boots - one mens, one womens - in this house, with one pair going back over 40 years..love them. Use lexol on them regularly.

Just curious, Sanford (and I am curious - not trying to bait anyone) - is it the actual use of leather/animal parts (since our dogs do eat some animal parts) or the use of leather for what you see as useless style that bothers you? Are you bothered by leather collars for dogs?

You mentioned using dogs (and relatives - I assumed you meant wolves or fox) for the leather industry? I had never heard of dogs being used this way...can you share some info - that would disturb me. I also avoid such things as wolf collars on my parkas - the synthetics are great these days, and clean so much easier too. (But again, it should be apparent from my postings that fashion is not of much value to me personally...)

As Brad said - and I share his thoughts - I do find the opinions of others interesting. Hope you can share your thoughts, Sanford.

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 2

Guest dog person

I forgot about dog collars, my little one has a 9 year old leather Coach collar.    The other dog has a hand me down rolled leather collar (over 10 years old).       We never got used to those plastic things, for collars anyway.  Leather leashes last forever too.

Plastic harnesses, okay, they just don't last long.

Not to stir things up but faux fur isn't always synthetic, dog fur from China and other Asian countries are sometimes used.   I hope I'm wrong.   Google for more info.   Once I read that, I now avoid faux fur.

Edited by dog person

I really do enjoy that this topic was brought up in a light-hearted way. (It's one of the things I appreciate about this forum)! But like many topics, it can spark other ideas... 

I'm not a vegan, but having having a pet, sensitized me to issues that I never gave much thought to before, such as humane treatment of animals in general. In my younger days I didn't give it much thought. Now, I guess I'm like a tiresome, reformed drunk, boring one and all with my new-found "enlightened" ways!😊

Clearly, it's just me, feeling that specific things like fur rugs, collars and coats have an undeniable "trophy" aspect to them, when used for show, display or adornment that seems related to a more unenlightened aspect of ourselves, appearing at odds with our better natures. Especially on this site, where we have an abundance of concern for the welfare of each other and our pets.

P.S. Kathryn asked: "...using dogs (and relatives - I assumed you meant wolves or fox) for the leather industry? I had never heard of dogs being used this way...can you share some info..." 

There is much coverage online and also mention in the media from time to time re inhumane trapping, treatment, killing and use of animals by the leather industry. Whether one believes and/or personally fact-checks the reports is up to the individual.

Edited by sanford
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest dog person
2 hours ago, sanford said:

If I win the Megabucks, that bowl is definitely on the list.

36 minutes ago, dog person said:

If I win the Megabucks, that bowl is definitely on the list.

Until the day that I win, Ruffy and I will have to stick with his Royal Doulton Bunnykins bowl:

IMG_2052.thumb.jpg.a635505dec25d16c9d76a0473a428bf0.jpg

Edited by sanford
  • Like 7

FEAR THE CAIRN!

54 minutes ago, hheldorfer said:

That bowl is adorable, Sanford.  How has Ruffy managed not to break it?

Never mind Ruffy... It's a minor miracle that I haven't broken or chipped it!

My favorite thing about this bowl is that I got it only because it was recommended to me by a member of this forum, when I complained here that Ruffy had become very finicky re his food. The suggestion was humorously tongue-in-cheek, but I was so tickled with the idea that I went online and found it for the amazing sum of $12! (Plus shipping, of course).😀

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

On 11/20/2018 at 10:21 AM, sanford said:

Never mind Ruffy... It's a minor miracle that I haven't broken or chipped it!

My favorite thing about this bowl is that I got it only because it was recommended to me by a member of this forum, when I complained here that Ruffy had become very finicky re his food. The suggestion was humorously tongue-in-cheek, but I was so tickled with the idea that I went online and found it for the amazing sum of $12! (Plus shipping, of course).😀

I remember that discussion well!  I 🙄 finally broke Murphy's very old Royal Staffordshire bowl.  Hunting antique and thrift stores for something equally old, but totally unique.  😎

2 hours ago, Tuesday said:

Hunting antique and thrift stores for something equally old, but totally unique.  😎

Have you tried ebay?

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest dog person

I have been browsing ebay, however I don't see anything that resembles Ruffy's dish (Royal Doulton Bunnykins bowl).      Are you sure it's the real thing?    If so, it must be a unique style.

WAIT:  I found this   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Doulton-Bunnykins-Childhood-Memories-2004-Carrot-Surprise-Bowl-Cup-Set-bt/173213026597?hash=item28544d0925:g:2uAAAOSw2fRaps7D

Edited by dog person

On 11/25/2018 at 11:38 AM, dog person said:

I have been browsing ebay, however I don't see anything that resembles Ruffy's dish (Royal Doulton Bunnykins bowl).      Are you sure it's the real thing?    If so, it must be a unique style.

WAIT:  I found this   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Doulton-Bunnykins-Childhood-Memories-2004-Carrot-Surprise-Bowl-Cup-Set-bt/173213026597?hash=item28544d0925:g:2uAAAOSw2fRaps7D

Good sleuthing in finding it, D.P.! Out of curiosity, I looked at ebay, etc., online and couldn't find the bowl anywhere, but the one you came up with looks even better! I guess it was beginner's luck when I found my original one... I had no idea what I was looking for and just came up with this unique bowl on the first try back then! Whether or not it is the real thing, I have no idea. Attached is a pic of the bottom with Royal Doulton markings and... (Spoiler Alert): A paper label thatIMG_1203.thumb.JPG.813de52da9c904414386fbf9eb062db9.JPG says "Made In China,"... so who knows?😜

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Guest dog person

I kind of like this one  https://www.dogbar.com/collections/dog-bowls/products/rembrandt-raised-bowl?variant=364842961

I'm tempted, but my cairn needs a dome in the middle dish so he won't eat as fast.   

Both dogs have stainless steel dishes that they seem to be doing fine with.   So, I'll leave it alone, unless I see something special in the thrift shop.

It looks like Royal Doulton may have antique items made in England and  modern things made in China?     It says 2004 on the label, plus the one I found says "Childhood Memories" too.