CairnTalk

Champion pet food

Sam I Am

Guest dog person

Thanks for posting this.   Interesting topic.

And now for the opposing view (science based veterinary medicine)

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2018/05/whos-behind-the-the-truth-about-pet-cancer/     (excerpt below)

Susan Thixton
Ms. Thixton is a vehement activist at war with the pet food industry, government regulators, and anyone who doesn’t share her views about pet nutrition. She blames the death of one of her dogs on a preservative in pet food and identifies this experience as the genesis of her crusade.

Unfortunately, her passion is not matched by a respect for science or evidence or a very sophisticated understanding of epidemiology, nor does she have any apparent willingness to consider she might be mistaken or others might know more than she does about such issues.

Ms. Thixton is one of these “experts” whose expertise consists of all the information she can find that supports what she is determined to believe no matter what. She has served as a public member of AAFCO, the group that generates much animal feed regulation, but was dismissed in 2017 for personal attacks against other board members. She expresses deep contempt for science and for anyone who doesn’t see the industry/government conspiracy poisoning our pets that she warns about, and her participation in this series illustrates the degree to which it is ideologically driven.

Obviously there are many  differences of opinion and experts when it comes to the care of animals. There have been many recalls on many pet foods and I just like to post what the latest news is. I don’t hold any one  “expert”in the limelight and Skepvet is not the only source of information out there. 

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

The more info we get the better we are informed or the more we are confused.

Sometimes I want to go back to the good/bad old days. What's wrong with the doggy chow biscuits with the remains of our soups and stews poured over and a meaty marrow bone to chew?

I'm not sure any group of researchers is testing each and every brand and type of dog food on a regular and on going manner and given the explosion of dog food, designer brands, "holistic" type foods, arguments about "natural vs manufactured", foods for puppies and food for adult dogs, then senior dogs, the average dog owner doesn't have a chance when it comes to determining what is best for their pet.
I think it simply comes down to what works for most of us especially since we don't have any real expert opinion and expert research to lean on. 
These discussions of what foods are best are real head scratchers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good  to hear from you Chuck...long time no posts. I hope both your girls are doing well.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

My girls are fine.  Our Sammi is finally showing her age, a little weak in the knees, hard of hearing, and goes outside and stands on the edge of the patio seemingly losing her train of thought and then finally figures out what she went out for.  I can relate to everyone of those conditions--either she is imitating me or I'm imitating her, or, more likely it is probable that both of us are simply getting old and decrepit.
Bonnie is her same old "my way or the highway" self, solitary, fiery, snotty little fireball of a Cairn that she has been since day one.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 5

Guest dog person

Another opinion.   DFA (Mike) is skeptical too.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/orijen-acana-lawsuit/#post-112235   

Except below:

Unlike recalls, lawsuits are based on complaints and accusations only. And when they result in a settlement, the truth or falsehood of the allegations are usually not revealed to the public.

Each of our reviews is based upon the factual information we retrieve from government-regulated and standardized pet food labels… and nothing else.

If you’ll Google the name of almost any major brand, you’ll likely find hundreds of complaints, claims and lawsuits for many of their products.

Once any dog food has been confirmed to have a serious problem, the FDA expects the related company to voluntarily recall its product.

Until we know with certainty if a particular dog food has been tested and recalled, it would be unfair and irresponsible for us to consider unverified claims when writing our reviews.

Guest dog person
17 hours ago, Idaho Cairns said:

I'm not sure any group of researchers is testing each and every brand and type of dog food on a regular and on going manner and given the explosion of dog food, designer brands, "holistic" type foods, arguments about "natural vs manufactured", foods for puppies and food for adult dogs, then senior dogs, the average dog owner doesn't have a chance when it comes to determining what is best for their pet.
I think it simply comes down to what works for most of us especially since we don't have any real expert opinion and expert research to lean on. 
These discussions of what foods are best are real head scratchers.

Hmm,   

What about https://www.aafco.org/

Veterinarians are now recommending to go with grain inclusive pet foods (since the FDA Alert regarding grain free) that have been around for a long time and that have a good reputation, they are more likely to employ veterinary nutritionists and do feeding trials.     Avoid boutique foods and fad diets, for example, raw, grain free.

Unless your dog has a specific condition or food sensitivity that requires otherwise.   

Find a vet that you trust and discuss,  that's what I think works best.

Edited by dog person

In the US, feed regulations are enforced by state and federal regulatory officials who provide subject matter expertise in animal science, animal nutrition, feed label compliance, field operations for inspection staff and program administration.  AAFCO provides a forum for these regulatory officials to come together and create model guidance to ensure that the regulation of animal feeds is as uniform as possible from state to state. 

As stated in their web page, AAFCO "regulates nothing" and I couldn't find any indication that they research anything--they appear to be a voluntary advocacy group primarily concerned with proper labeling of animal feeds.  No problem there but the problem still exists--where are the broad based, long term, scientific research findings concerning dog food and dog nutrition???   Do we really know what our dogs' need in the way of balanced nutrition and do we really know which, if any, dog food producers meet what ever standards are necessary?

• Thanks 1

Guest dog person

I'll take a product that meets the requirements of AAFCO any day over raw or homemade that is regulated by no one.   I would not consider feeding any dog food that does not meet the standards of AAFCO.

"While AAFCO has no regulatory authority, it does set standards that states and dominions adopt. Those entities have regulatory authority over animal-feed and pet-food commerce only within their jurisdictions".

"The FDA also has regulatory authority over pet-food products, and that authority is generally limited to products in interstate commerce, including imports. Given how pet-food ingredients are sourced and distribution practices, most pet foods involve interstate commerce".

PS:    https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/choosing-the-right-diet-for-your-pet/

excerpt below

What is AAFCO?

When choosing a commercial diet, you should always choose one that has an AAFCO statement that indicates that the diet was formulated to meet the needs of the given life stage, and that feeding trials were performed for the appropriate life stage. AAFCO is the Association of American Feed Control Officials. This organization sets the minimum standards for nutritional requirements for a complete and balanced diet for the recognized life stages; growth and reproduction, and adult maintenance. Be advised that if a food is approved for all life stages (which many of them are), this means that it meets nutrient requirements for a growing animal, and may not be the best choice for your aging dog or cat. Additionally, if you have an overweight pet, a food approved for all life stages may be too calorically dense, and not the optimal diet.

Edited by dog person

For the sake of pure argument, here is a quote from the OP's  initial reference:  "

"Champion Pet Food is a feed grade pet food. The FDA openly allows ANY feed grade pet food manufacturer to utilize “material from diseased animals or animals which have died otherwise than by slaughter” in their products with no disclosure to the pet owner. Pet food ingredients sourced from “diseased animals or animals which have died otherwise than by slaughter” are a direct violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. But…FDA ignores the very laws they are required to enforce.

In other words, any feed grade pet food could be utilizing euthanized animal meat just like many others have in the recent past BECAUSE the FDA lets them. As well, every single AAFCO meat ingredient definition allows the use of diseased or non-slaughtered animal material too. No consumer is warned or alerted, in fact the pet food ingredient definitions that allow the waste are hidden from public view."

Two questions "beg" here: (1) The lawsuit has not been adjudicated as of this moment  so we really don't know if it will be successful and if any "harm" has been done and (2) how do you feel about AAFCO's reliability in terms of the above statement?

• Thanks 1

Guest dog person

"For the sake of pure argument, here is a quote from the OP's  initial reference"

I do not consider the OP's initial reference to be a reliable source of information.   Therefore I disregard the opinions and allegations made.    I consider them bogus.

Fake news.

I will wait for follow up from the FDA (if any).   

Edited by dog person

" I do not consider the OP's initial reference to be a reliable source of information.   Therefore I disregard the opinions and allegations made."

And there is the rub.  Unfortunately we dog owners are left to our own devices--we feed our loved pets what we think is probably the best, based on their reactions, how well they find the food edible, and how healthy they seem to stay.  None of us really know what is "best", we aren't canine nutritionists and even when we care we have no place to turn.  It is sort of the luck of the draw.  Sans any real deep and extensive research based on breed, age, need, and possible conclusions, we are on our own.
Makes for interesting conversations that go on from time to time.  We have had this same discussion for years here and all we, any of us, can offer is our personal experience based on what seems to work for us.  But, then most of us aren't even sure what is best for ourselves when it comes to nutrition and even if we have a clue or two, we often stray from the best path cause we eat what we like first as a basis.
I certainly am hesitant to suggest that anyone other than ourselves should feed a particular brand or source of food for our Cairns.  I know what seems to work for me and my girls and that is about it. 
Causality is a funny critter--if a dog dies before its time, develops cancer, weight problems, or other illnesses we can, of course blame the food they eat as a cause but, just watching my dogs in the yard or on walks, I see them graze on all sorts of "stuff" that they seem to want and who knows what they ingest and how good or bad those choices are for them--if they don't puke it up and if they don't get the squizzes, it's all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank You Idaho for the wisdom in your words. 

Guest dog person

I provided links to science based veterinary medicine.  Research, not ancedotal accounts and opinions.

If you choose to follow homeopathic views and internet rumors instead, that's up to you.

Best of luck.

Edited by dog person

" I provided links to science based veterinary medicine.  Research, not ancedotal accounts and opinions. "

I missed those references to the "Research" on healthy dog food (the topic)--could you run those references back to me?

• Thanks 2

Don't be driven by your suspicions, my response was not sarcastic at all but is based on my belief that there are NO long term, comprehensive research studies on canine nutrition.  Much of the research (including those referenced in your above links) is based on breed specific, short term studies that may or may not be valid in nature. 
Neither was I being sarcastic when I failed to note that your prior references did not include any "scientific research of a comprehensive nature"--they didn't.  Of course that opinion is based on MY definition of research study.  I simply thought you might direct me to something I missed in those references.  Instead you replied with two opinion sites, one of which, skepvet, has been discussed here sometime ago and it is MY conclusion that this site, valuable in some instances is primarily an opinion based site that does discuss some smaller research studies but cites few comprehensive studies (which I don't think actually exist). 
It seems to ME that most opinions about canine nutrition is anecdotal in nature and based on, yes, on OPINION, not research.
We have in all of this, including the slick and informative skepvet, a continuing roiling of opinion about what our dogs should ingest and if we take what we should actually, truly, and/or scientifically feed our beloved pets, then we will be driven crazy by all the opinion laced advice from the "experts".  Leaving ME (not you or anyone else) to conclude that what works is what works.  That's not sarcastic--it is actual experience, sincere.
So, where do you wish to go from here on this topic?

• Like 1

Guest dog person

Agree to disagree.    I think that would be best.

PS:  I hope someone else is able to benefit from the information that I have provided.

Edited by dog person

I agree--FYI, Sammi and Bonnie are fed Kirkland Signature kibble from Costco and all the table scraps they can beg from Dad (Mom is a spoiled sport) at dinnertime.  They appear to be thriving.  There's the research from my lab.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

OMG Idaho Cairn and they are still alive !! JUST KIDDING! Time you posted a video of the girls enjoying their senior years. We miss seeing them. Are they still sitting under that tree waiting for you to call the squirrels down?? And monitoring the mule deer in your yard?

Yes we have had this discussion a few times. It comes down to personal and sometimes passionate belief since there is no independent research covering all dogs and all the foods they are fed.We cairn owners are bit like our cairns I often think - independent with strong held opinions!!.🙂

• Thanks 1

Hills, I've been neglectful in my filming of the girls lately--I've been under the weather since June but improving daily.  I do have an interesting video from last Christmas that shows both at their best--Bonnie being snotty with big sister and Sammi figuring out how to get their presents open--she's pretty good at it and I swear, these two get more excited than the kids used to on Christmas morning.  Guess we're close enough to the Holidays to enjoy these two celebrating the season.  Enjoy!

• Like 2