CairnTalk

Looking for a Wheaton Cairn Puppy

Kate

I've been a member here for the last approximately 14 years.  I lost my beloved little dog last December.  It has now been close to a year and I think I'm finally ready to bring another one into our lives.  The only problem is that I can't find one.  The breeder I purchased my last Cairn is out of business. I'm in Ohio and I have checked with breeders in Ohio and Kentucky that I have found with no luck.  Can anyone tell me the correct way to search to find a new member to my family.  We just need a pet that we can spoil; no other needs other than a loving little female Cairn.  Thanks for any help you may give me.

• Like 1

The last time we wanted a Cairn pup, we used the internet--a Yahoo search for "Cairn puppies for sale" comes up with over 250k hits--of course not all of them will lead to an active breeder with pups ready to be placed but, from starting with a general search, you can winnow down the hits to find legitimate breeders.
Our last pup came out of Missouri (an infamous state when it comes to dog breeding) but the breeder we finally located provided plenty of references from satisfied customers as well as videos of the litter to satisfy us and we were able to buy a fine Cairn.
The internet, properly used, is a fine way to search out what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input - I've been trying to do so but most of the ones that I found are iffy if you know what I mean.  I really have no use for puppy mills or don't want to use the major dog/puppy search finders that want to ship puppies, etc.  Also I was aghast at the prices; many that I did find want over $1,000 for a puppy, some even lots more.  With all due respect I love these little dogs but I don't want a show champion, I just want a family member.

Edited by Kate

Some thoughts from a previous post on a similar topic: 

We tend to feel that over the life of the dog (and our life with the dog) that the price, while not irrelevant, is ultimately of relatively little importance compared with finding a breeder we want a dog from. The acquisition cost is usually a very small fraction of the lifetime cost of the dog.  The cost to get a well-bred, health-tested, competently socialized puppy as our family core has always been worth it to us.

I don't really know how to effectively address the universal idea that somehow show dogs are expensive and pet dogs should be inexpensive. Our show dogs have been the *least* expensive to acquire because they are often co-owned with the breeder or sold with the commitment that we will be spending thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars over the life of the dog to show and care for it in a way that reflects well on its breeding (training, traveling, vets, entry fees in conformation and usually several other disciplines, availability for possible future breedings if appropriate, etc.).  Buying the equally well-bred littermate outright as a pet offers the breeder a single occasion to attempt to recover a fraction of the cost of producing the dog while sending the dog into the world with their reputation at the mercy of the new owner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Here in Alberta if you want a purebred Cairn bred by a reputable breeder, $1000 doesn’t even begin to cover the cost. In our case,  Sams breeder does genetic testing on both parents, their history , does acid bile testing , microchips, vaccines etc. That doesn’t mean stuff doesn’t happen but   good breeder will do the best they can, partially  because their reputation is on the line plus I know in our case, the breeder feels responsible for bringing these litttle guys into the world and wants the best for them. Pet or show she loves thems equally and want the best for each puppy she brings into the world

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Guest dog person

Have you considered a young adult or a mature cairn as opposed to a puppy?

If so, I would search pet finders and cairn rescues in your area and reputable breeders.    

The fee/donation may be tax deductible for shelters and rescues(I am not sure).

It would go to help other dogs that they are caring for.

I got my cairn from a pet shop, he was still there after 7 months and did not cost very much.     I don't recommend this.   I was grieving the loss of another dog and just decided to take a chance.

He has been a challenge.  But he is a lovely dog and has had no health issues, he is 5 now.

Edited by dog person

There are several cairn terrier rescue groups that have cairns for adoption, from pups to seniors, at affordable prices. The one I know best is Colonel Potter, with volunteers across the country. In some cases, when they are able, they will transport a cairn to you. I got Carrington that way. He was driven from St. Louis to Long Island where I picked him up at the home of a foster volunteer.

I also did a “shelter pull” for them, picking up a handsome brindle from the ASPCA here in NYC and driving him to New Jersey from where he was then driven by another volunteer, up to live with his new family on a farm in New Hampshire!🙂

P.S. Good to know: The adoptable cairns at Col.Potter are all placed in volunteer foster homes for a period of time before they are eligible to be adopted out. This period of time is used to evaluate behavior, habits, personality, house training, etc., with lengthy reports to submit. Very reassuring❗

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

We were in a similar situation about a year ago.  If you are considering an adult dog rather than a pup, check PetFinder - they have listings from many rescue groups and you can also sign up to get notifications if and when a Cairn becomes available in your area.  We did this and were actively searching, but then fate intervened:  a relative was friends with a Cairn breeder in the Chicago area.  The breeder happened to have three mature females available for adoption.  (She also had puppies but a) they were beyond our budget, and b) we didn't feel we were up to raising a pup right now.)    Long story short, we paid her a visit and selected one of the three females - a wheaten who is now named Nattie.  This was pure luck but it worked out amazingly well.

One note worth mentioning:  The breeder we worked with was very responsible and insisted on a personal interview before committing to anything.  She also insisted that we bring our other dog, Ziggy, so we could judge how well the dogs would get along.  Once we selected Nattie, there was a wait of approximately 2 weeks so the breeder to have Nattie spayed, have her teeth cleaned and make sure she was in good health and up to date on all vaccinations.  (She was already microchipped.)  At the time it seemed like an interminable wait but it was well worth it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we were in search of a Cairn puppy, we contacted the nearest Cairn Terrier Club for referrals.

For us it was the Northern California Cairn Terrier Club. The  Puppy Referral person gave us names of those expecting litters. We contacted them, emailing, sending our references, filling out questionnaires. etc.

We started our search in April/May, had responses from 4/5 breeders, visited a litter in July and we had a puppy, Katie, in October 2017.

As a former member of the of the SFBay West Highland White Terrier club, this was the process I recommended for those seeking a Westie.  Contact the AKC clubs and ask for referrals. Attend dog shows and respectfully ask shower/breeder for leads and referrals. It may take some time but it would be worth it in the long run. 

Having had dogs for 50+years, worked with rescue committee and rescues, and knowing this would be our last pup, I required that I be able to see where they were raised, their parents, the breeders contract, and the assurance that the breeder would accept the pup back for any reason.

Cost..initially, probably vary a little by region. First year is expensive with vet visits, shots, toys, food, training classes, chewed shoes, socks, cords...

Our last Westie, Miss Mollie, was a rescue and her medications cost us about $100 per month.  Adds up over 10 years!

Be patient in your search and focus on finding the best and healthiest.

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input.  I'm still looking.  I did find a 4 month old Cairn but it looked like it's ears were too big and gangly.  For some reason I forget the puppy stage.  Is this normal, do you know?

I have no personal experience, but I've read on this site, a number of times that cairn pups usually have large ears, and they grow into them. Also, as the shaggy hair on top of the head grows and fills in, it tends to minimize the look of the ears. I'm sure others here will address this for you.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 2 weeks later...

My first Cairn was an almost-ten-year-old Cairn from Colonel Potter's Rescue.  He was a wonderful dog, and is largely the reason I chose to follow him, when he died at 18, with a Cairn -- a puppy.  I have absolutely NO regrets, but man!, was the ready-to-go fellow e-a-s-I-e-r.  I would definitely not rule-out a mature Cairn.  Whatever behaviors you might have to address seem to take care of themselves as the dog learns to trust you.  I think most all terriers are too cussed cute for their own good, and many choose one based largely on looks, or popular movies and tv shows, with little regard for the dog itself.

To raise a puppy, from my own experience, you really must have the energy and patience, and lots of good guidance and support from groups such as this one.  Dr. Ian Dunbar has (2) wonderful books, accessible online:  Before You Get Your Puppy  and  After You Get Your Puppy.  Titles may not be exact, but should let you find them.  He raises good points to consider.

Unfortunately, my little 'Toto' came from a local pet store, I am ashamed to admit.  In my defense, my reason was largely that I might be saving the little fellow from ultimately being sent to a shelter, or ending up in a rescue situation.  He has been a good little dog, and I am sure will make a wonderful little pal for me, as the breed is wont to be, but I was taking a chance.  Looking back, he would have benefitted from early socialization with other people and dogs, and these past (4) months I have had to play catch-up to make the difference for him.

Good luck in your search.  Take your time, and research thoroughly.

• Like 2