CairnTalk

Sam the husky...not anymore.šŸ‘

Sam I Am

Sam has started to really pull a lot when I go for our daily walks. Itā€™s tiring for me and no doubt frustrating for him also. Winter is here and the last thing I need is my Cairn pulling me off an icy sidewalk. We went to our local pet store who carry every imaginable item for many critters big and small.Ā 

It works! I am thrilled and Sam seems pretty darn happy also. Itā€™s a harness but the lead fits onto a ring in front of his chest. Not theĀ exact oneĀ I bought as I donā€™t attach anything to his collar.https://www.google.ca/search?q=no+pulling+harness+dogs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari#imgrc=_vFKiX8uoAZqUM:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of Ā one's soul remains unawakened. Ā -Ā Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ā 

Good to know that this worked for you! I tried itĀ for Carrington and had to give up. I am tall and he was low to the ground, so the leash ended up pulling up at a steep angle from the front of his chest, along the side of his neck and under his jaw, forcing his head to tilt at a peculiar, uncomfortable looking angle. (Hard to describe in words). The result was, he continued to struggle and resist as I pulled him along,Ā looking like I was abusing him, so I quit.Ā Chalk up another win for the cairns!šŸ˜”

P.S I spoke to another cairn owner... Same issue with pulling... Can this be a "cairn" thing?

• Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I think so Sanford. šŸ’€Sam is always on the hunt...a leaf falls, a bird flies by,Ā the wind blows...so it must be caught or at least investigated. And perhaps killed if itā€™s a tree rat or a mouse.

I hope the harness continues to work..although given how tenacious and strong minded these Cairns are it wouldnā€™t surprise me that he outwits me yet again. His head doesnā€™t seem to turn towards me but it does turn his body towards me...perhaps you had it attachedĀ Ā to his collar? Ā He doesnā€™t struggle at all and actually walked happily on a loose leash...for now. Of course we could always just attach these miniature huskies to a sleigh and yell mush. Our winters are long enough up here.ā„ļøā˜ƒļøšŸŒ¬

Until one has loved an animal, a part of Ā one's soul remains unawakened. Ā -Ā Anatole France

Ā 

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/20_4/features/Best-Dog-Harnesses-2017_21622-1

Here's some more info on harnesses for dogs The Perfect Fit is the favorite among UK cairn terrier owners according to their forum. They love the adjustability and the padding which doesn't seem to be a problem dirtwise for them as easily washed.

Alas my favorite the JuliusK9 is not mentioned. šŸ˜ž

Although harnesses may help they are not a substitute for training. And like collars they need to fit correctly as they can easily chafe a dog. And many a dog has escaped from them!

Hope Sam ks not reading this last sentence and that he continues to walk nicely for youšŸ˜Š

• Like 1

Ha Ha Terrier lover. My only use of a harness in the past was to attach to my lab so he could pull the children on their sled in the snowy winters we had when we lived in Indiana. In fact I still think that's what harnesses are really meant for.

I did train Angus to walk nicely in town - on a collar not a harness. His harness just didn't work for that. In the end I just used it briefly as we walked to the fields where I let him run wearing it - the orange color was to let hunters know he was a dog not a rabbit or porcupine other other small game so fellas please don't shoot him!

• Like 1

Lol Hillcreek Ā  .... I wonā€™t put anything past these little devils. IĀ did buy the perfect fit so keeping my fingers crossed. Unfortunately Sam when on the pursuit of,Ā well whatever, training goes out the window. A good reason why he will never go off leash outside his yard.

I also love the JuliusK9 but for now itā€™s hung up in the garage.His sister Rosie loves hers and never pulls...a far more sensible girl.

• Like 1

Ā 

Hey, Terrier Lover... Ruffy was born up near Canada, onĀ the southern shore of Lake Champlain and spent his first 3 years there, high up in the Adirondacks. He loves cold, snowy weather.Ā How about I treat you and Sam to an all-expense paid, round trip to NYC and we swapĀ cairns?šŸ˜€

Edited by sanford
  • Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Our first dump of snow thatā€™s here to stay....ohĀ goody only 6 months of winter left.Ā 

Sam checking out the possibility of suet falling from the bird feeders. He loves the snow...a true Canadian Cairn. ā˜ŗļø

450B8468-6B3B-467E-9136-794AF51601F9.jpeg

• Like 1

Ā 

I can't believe that there are no harnesses with a D ring on the top. That would make more sense to me. Why would you put the D ring in front so that the leash wraps around the chest? That just seems awkward. Putting it on the top would allow the dog to move left or right without getting tangled with the leash.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Ā 

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

There are harnesses with D rings on top. I use one. Many folks use them because it gives greater control even though the pooch can actually pull with more strength because he's able to use his strong shoulder muscles. IfĀ I attach theĀ leash to his collar, Ā Ruffy can't pull with as muchĀ force, but the pressure on his throat can damage the larynx, so I opt for the harness.

The theory behind the O ring in front of the chest, is that it slightly alters the dog's center of gravity when he tugsĀ against the leash,Ā so that he can't pull as hard and isĀ almost forced to move his body in the direction that the upright wants.

• Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Steve still judiciously uses a prong collar on Oban occasionally during his city walks, just to remind him that pulling is not going to be allowed.Ā  It has an amazing effect on his overall behavior on a leash.Ā Ā 

I once took a fall on a slippery sidewalk while walking our previous cairn, Allie (and looking back at a lagging dog -- imagine that!) and ended up taking a trip to the emergency room where I got an x-ray and diagnosis of a concussion.Ā  I am much more careful now, and usually use YakTracks on my boots in the winter.Ā  Are you familiar with them, Terrier Lover? They really help when navigating icy sidewalks... (although I also recommend leaving the snow and ice for California, which we now do for at least six weeks in the winter...)

I did not fall because Allie was pulling, but just because I didn't watch where I was going.Ā  But I sure don't want another bump on the head like that one...

Edited by Kathryn
  • Thanks 1

After breaking my leg while walking Jock in 2012, (Ā he wasnā€™t a puller)Ā surgery, 8 screws and a plate later, I always use something similar to Ā Yaktracks. Would not be without them as our winters are long icy and cold. I donā€™t mind winters as I love down hill skiing, however the length of them,Ā 6 months + is tough especially as I love gardening. This year weonly had 4 months of frost free gardening.

I am like Sanford and wonā€™t use a prong collar due to the potential damage to the many organs in the neck area plus their spine also. No doubt it works but itā€™s not for me.

I will have to teach Sam and Rosie to pull me on a sleigh.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Ā 

897647FC-372E-4F23-B521-4506CD0E0C4F.jpeg

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Ā 

Yes, Terrier Lover, I shared your concerns over the prong collar (not a choke collar - different items entirely).Ā  But Steve and I have trained our dogs for years with Sue Mills, a local trainer well received by the dog community (her facility, called Total Recall, is where the local cairn specialty is held every year, and she is also an active and encouraging agility trainer who actually understands cairns...).Ā  Oban was a real puller, and even a regular collar or harness can hurt a dog who pulls like he did.Ā  And unfortunately, he pulled quickly and without warning if he saw something he wanted to chase. I am willing to have a dog lag, or stop and sniff, etc., on walks, but Steve wanted a dog that paid attention and heeled well.Ā  Sue taught him to use the collar as a training tool -- only that, it is not in regular use.Ā  And it is used properly, and only for short and controlled training sessions.Ā  When Steve and Oban head out for their walks, it is an impressive obedience demonstration. When Oban and I head out (he wears his harness then), he knows he gets to sniff, and lag, and stop for all kinds of exploration.Ā Ā But I have come to accept the collar and know SteveĀ is using it appropriately.Ā  Strict parent, lax parent. It is the kind of compromise couples make with their kids...Oban seems to know the difference.Ā 

• Like 1

Third walk with the front ring halter and Sam is being a good boy and not pulling at all. Yippee....so much more fun.šŸ˜˜

• Like 1

Ā 

• 2 months later...

The problem with my 4 1/2 month old pup Roscoe is that while walking him he stops a lot. Ā Not to sniff and look around, which I donā€™t mind at all,Ā but just stops for no apparent reason.Ā Ā Sometimes he lies down (on the sidewalk or on the grass), sometimes he stands and plants his legs firmly and doesnā€™t budge!

On the other hand he sometimes lies in a crouch position when he sees a car, and then tries to chase it as it passes by. Ā Obviously this is behaviour I want to stop. Ā Heā€™s always leashed but still.

i use a cloth mesh ā€œJumpā€ brand harness and 5-foot leash. Ā 

Mandy welcome fellow Canuck....

Puppy behaviours .....isnā€™t it fun. šŸ¤—Things are all new and interesting . My solution to all the above is appropriate verbal noā€™sĀ and good behaviour followed by a treat. Car chasing is something you definitely want to work with Roscoe on. On the planting ofĀ feet and lying down reminds me of a neighbour that has a Polish Sheepdog...he did this as a youngster also. His owner just let him have a lie down for Ā few seconds then encouraged him and when he got up moved forward and then he got a treat. He is Ā year old now and has totally out grown this.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Ā 

His stopping, lying down, crouching, sounds like it might be a "puppy thing". At 4 1/2 months many might have outgrown this stage and become more reliable walkers, but yours might still be enjoying an extended puppy stage. Maturity will probably soon catch up with him, and you'll miss these antics!šŸ˜€

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thank you Terrier lover and Sanford. Ā I have tried treats (along with the clicker) but as soon as he has eaten his treat he stops again! Ā I guess I just need to be patient! He is really adorable and heā€™s really social... people we meet on our walks think itā€™s very cuteĀ how he lies there! Ā When they get close he jumps up to say hello! Ā IĀ will persevere! Ā I should add, if weā€™re walking with someone else with another dog he moves along better usually.

Oh, and can someone tell me how to put a photo up here instead of my initial? Ā I tried but it said the file was too big, even though itā€™s just an iPhone shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mandy said:

...as soon as he has eaten his treat he stops again! Ā I guess I just need to be patient! He is really adorable and heā€™s really social... people we meet on our walks think itā€™s very cuteĀ how he lies there! Ā When they get close he jumps up to say hello! Ā IĀ will persevere! ...

Oh, and can someone tell me how to put a photo up here instead of my initial? Ā I tried but it said the file was too big, even though itā€™s just an iPhone shot.

Ruffy does the same thing! Just like you and other folks, l find this behavior adorable and endearing, so except for the jumping, which I discourage because some don't appreciate it, I don't try to restrain him. Our daily walks often become a major Meet & Greet!šŸ˜€

Having a photo file that's too big occurs sometimes. Reducing the file size is not hard to do and you will find this topic explained inĀ the Support and Test Area by scrolling down on the Home Page.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks Sanford... I need to rethink my approach to walking and just accept that weā€™ll haveĀ frequent stops for now at least! Ā Sometimes he does walk beautifully and itā€™s great when that happens for a couple minutes, lol.

Iā€™ll see if I can figure out the photo thing, thanks for the pointer. Ā I like your ā€œfear the cairnā€ at the bottom!