CairnTalk

A helpful hint

Sam I Am

We have very large spruce trees in our backyard that drop their sticky pine cones on the ground, plus when the sun is warm on the tree trunk it also weeps a bit of sap also. Sam is forever running under them and jumping on the trunk of the tree chasing Mr Squirrel.When he does that he gets gobs of pine sap plus needles stuck on and between the pads on his paws. Horrid to try to pull off plus of course also painful. To clean this sticky mess from his paws I place him in the bathtub, rub coconut oil on my hand which melts and I clean between his pads and toenails. The sap and all the pine needles just come right off. I then rinse his feet and all is well.🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ooh, I'll try this on the doggos. They do occasionally get sticky. 

Sap is the nemesis of my car, which is parked outside under a 100+ foot Douglas Fir. I may try the coconut oil massage. It's a smallish car but I don't think I can get it into the tub :P 

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest dog person

Been there, done that.     Gentle solutions will not remove tree sap from cars.   You need industrial strength stuff.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-CWS_104_64-Heavy-Shampoo/dp/B001XU25LI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1540568214&sr=8-7&keywords=sap+remover+from+car

I would save the coconut oil for cooking, assuming that you don't have high cholesterol, lol

1 hour ago, bradl said:

Sap is the nemesis of my car, which is parked outside under a 100+ foot Douglas Fir. I may try the coconut oil massage. It's a smallish car but I don't think I can get it into the tub :P 

And the good thing is if they lick their paws they only get good benefits out of the coconut oil. I also brush their teeth with it making brushing a no brainer as far as they are concerned. They love the stuff.☺️ 

Here you go Brad. 😋

6793D4F3-E723-4489-8D4B-2A81D84639FD.jpeg

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Guest dog person

I hope you all don't mind a different opinion, but I felt compelled to share.   Hope the info helps someone to make a decision.

Below are excerpts from:    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/04/coconut-oil-for-pets/

Is It Safe?

No significant short-term risks have been identified for dietary coconut oil in humans in reasonable quantities, though diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems have been reported. Long-term safety and effect on obesity, CVD< and other health risks hasn’t been determined.

Similar gastrointestinal symptoms have been reported in dogs, and there are anecdotal reports of more serious problems such as pancreatitis. There is no controlled research evidence investigating the safety of coconut oil in dogs and cats.

Bottom Line
There are some theoretical reasons to think the types of fat found in non-hydrogenated coconut oil might have health benefits in humans, but there is no conclusive research to support this. There is virtually no research on coconut oil in dogs and cats, apart from some studies looking at topical use for treatment of parasites. Therefore, the health effects, both risks and benefits, are unknown and supported only by unreliable anecdotal evidence.

46 minutes ago, dog person said:

You need industrial strength stuff

On the car simple hand sanitizer will work if I get it right away. When I'm lazy and let it harden I usually end up scrubbing with denatured alcohol and having to rewax as it strips everything. I can't have a dark color car due to the swirl and scratch festival my paint would be. 

Sorry about the off-topic digression.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest dog person
1 hour ago, bradl said:

I assume Bradl was making a joke?    Also, the smell of coconut oil will attract mice to nest under the hood of your car.    Even if the car is used frequently.      Ask any mechanic.

Guest dog person
4 minutes ago, bradl said:

On the car simple hand sanitizer will work if I get it right away. When I'm lazy and let it harden I usually end up scrubbing with denatured alcohol and having to rewax as it strips everything. I can't have a dark color car due to the swirl and scratch festival my paint would be. 

Sorry about the off-topic digression.

Yup, nail polish remover will work for small areas, early on.

Two years ago we had a family of raccoons living up in our boulevard linden.  How did we find this out? Parking below them, of course. Talk about a tough removal job...Yuk. I took the car in to be detailed...

Some things are best left to experts...

(Oh...and Brad? It was an SUV. Definitely would not have fit within the laundry tub...)

Edited by Kathryn
  • Haha 2

Don't bother trying DYU Take to experts - my view anyway. I'm hopeless at this stuff. Can't even get the droppings off from Jeep sitting under a robin's nest ( don't take offense Brad please!) and me not noticing since everything fell on the roof which I couldn't see. One day 6+ft sil noticed the hardened white shiny stuff............