CairnTalk

Stinky!

parmelbe

Anybody have any tips for keeping your Cairn clean and fresh without bathing too often? 

Betsy loves to roll around on the ground and gets pretty smelly. I only bathe her once a month at most. She gets brushed at least every other day. 

What is Betsy rolling in? Besides rolling in stinky gross stuff her coat shouldn’t smell . Sam is 1.5 yrs old and has never had a bath  and his coat has no odour at all. Diet can play a big part in keeping a coat odour free.

Years ago I had a German Sheperd that used to love to go to the farm next door and occasionally find a dead cow in the bush to roll in...now that is stinky🤭😱

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh just dirt and dust. She doesn’t smell terrible, just a little dirty and musty from time to time. Was wondering if anyone had nice, natural techniques for making their pups smell fresher. 

Guest dog person

Mow the lawn at least once a week, rake up or blow out leaves as mice and ticks like to nest in them.

Otherwise, rolling around on the ground/grass is a pleasurable activity.    

My dog's dermatologist said let the dog do it.   Let the dog enjoy being a dog  🙂

I would continue the monthly baths, maybe do a combing with a metal flea comb once a day (at the end of the day) instead of every other day.

Example:  https://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-Pet-Grooming-Massaging-Animals/dp/B077J8ZLC1/ref=sr_1_7/147-7560323-6475068?ie=UTF8&qid=1539364535&sr=8-7&keywords=metal+dog+flea+comb

Edited by dog person

49 minutes ago, parmelbe said:

Oh just dirt and dust. She doesn’t smell terrible, just a little dirty and musty from time to time. Was wondering if anyone had nice, natural techniques for making their pups smell fresher. 

I used to vacuum my horses...gets all the dust and dead skin out of their coats.  Great way to keep their coats gleaming. I have seen pictures of people vacuuming their cats and dogs....although I can’t imagine trying that on a mature terrier...yikes.😋 But you never know.....

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Wow, once a month baths!  Kirby and Phinney get about two baths a year, if that.  Their coats seem to repel dirt and debris (once it’s dry) and they don’t smell at all.  I do hand strip them and that helps keep their coats in good shape and able to stay clean.  We live on a farm and they get about a mile walk daily, so they have ample opportunities to get dirty.

Some Cairns who are not hand stripped seem to lose the ability to stay as fresh as hand stripped dogs.  My first Cairn, Willie, was that way.  I took him for periodic grooming because that worked for me at the time but he did seem to get smelly and I gave him much more frequent baths.  

You might give dry shampoos a try to freshen your dog up.  Our breeder uses them at shows when her dogs get messy right before ring time.  😆.  I’m sure you’ll get some good ideas here.

• Like 2
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I agree with most of what kjwarnold says, especially re hand-stripping, variation in coat quality, infrequent baths, etc. Also, a good brushing is a relatively quick, easy way to freshen up the coat. I read some time ago that a brief, light spritz with Aqua Velva was a popular method for deodorizing as well.

As an aside, the other day I petted a lab at the dog run. Afterward, I kept smelling this strong, stinky odor and it took me a while to realize that it was coming from my own hand that had petted the lab.😵. Now I finally know what people mean when they complain about "doggy odor." I guess another advantage to living with cairns is not having to deal with such heavy duty D.O!👍

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Whenever Tanner seems to be stinky, I automatically think to when I last brushed him.  Even if he's out in the rain and comes in super, super wet dog stinky, once he dries, I just brush him out & he's perfectly fine.

Becky & Tanner

I use the Marrs combs on Pepper and Brodie - I think Pepper usually gets bathed twice a year - if she is really muddy I hose her off in the sink with plain warm water...rarely use soap.

Pepper's Mom

Katie is groomed by a former Cairn show groomer every 2 - 3 months.

In between we use a Mars rake and have her nails trimmed.

Infrequently > before a road trip we bathe her. After she is kenneled, we bathe her. Crisp Coat.

Our local SPCA has a small dog social, 1 hour on Sunday. 12 dogs run amuck in a fenced artificial grass compound. They run, roll, slobber on each other. When we take her back to the car, I use a hand sanitize on my hands and then dab a bit on my hands and rub it on her coat. Walgreen's Coastal Sea Breeze Scent. Its a quick fix before brushing and damp toweling at home.

Cheers!

• Like 1